• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchmade AFO II

bkglock

Field Marshal
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2002
USA
Got this Benchmade AFO today. It's my first "good " knife. My other knives are all sub $100 stuff.

First impression is that this is a very stout piece, well made and the handle is the right size for my XXL hand.

Anyone else have one of these, what are your thoughts on this knife?
20230906_164429.jpg

I don't buy knives from clowns that support gun control by donating blades to local PD for the sole purpose to cutup weapons...

Reactions: Clownbuster
I don't buy knives from clowns that support gun control by donating blades to local PD for the sole purpose to cutup weapons...

What the FuhQ!?! If Benchmade is sharp enough, and tough enough to cut up a gun, Ima have me one a deez.

I will never buy another bitchmade. Fuck the company and everyone who works there except 1.

I was issued a AFO in Iraq and loved it. Ended up losing it. Was talking to a buddy who works in Oregon and is a huge knife collector. His buddy worked at Benchmade and he told him my story, so he gave me a free tanto blade afo. Like I said fuck the company but it's a tank of a knife. It's a shame becuase they do make some great pokers.

Reactions: FuhQ
I've carried one as my all-purpose duty knife nearly every day for a couple/few years and I like it, hasn't let me down yet. Like you said, it's stout, especially for an auto.

(I don't give a shit about politics.)

Reactions: bkglock
I've carried one as my all-purpose duty knife nearly every day for a couple/few years and I like it, hasn't let me down yet. Like you said, it's stout, especially for an auto.

(I don't give a shit about politics.)
Fuck Benchmade... Try a real OTF... Get a Microtech Combat Troodon, or a Heretic Manticore E. Both are phenomenal blades. I've been collecting Micros since 2005, and bought a Heretic back in 2018.

Reactions: iceng
Fuck Benchmade... Try a real OTF... Get a Microtech Combat Troodon, or a Heretic Manticore E. Both are phenomenal blades. I've been collecting Micros since 2005, and bought a Heretic back in 2018.

OTFs aren’t real hard use knives, poor choice as a tool/duty knife IMO. All folding knives are a compromise, OTFs are arguably the worst, if you’ve ever taken a Kali class, the first thing you learn is that any knife besides a fixed-blade is broken…

I have had a couple of Ultratechs (broke one) and there’s a UTX-70 lost somewhere in my lawn (and I still have a Halo, which is a different thing). I killed my first Microtech OTF by using it to cut some limes for Coronas on a camping trip lol.

I don’t think of Microtechs as tool knives, they’re cool, just more for fun at barbecues and such (just don’t use it for citrus fruits). YMMV.

Last edited:
Microtech OTF is on my list. I really want a 85, but they arent on the discount program. Awesome knives.

Reactions: FuhQ
OTFs aren’t real hard use knives, poor choice as a tool/duty knife IMO. All folding knives are a compromise, OTFs are arguably the worst, if you’ve ever taken a Kali class, the first thing you learn is that any knife besides a fixed-blade is broken…

I have had a couple Ultratechs (broke one) and there’s a UTX-70 lost somewhere in my lawn (and I still have a Halo, which is a different thing). I killed my first Microtech OTF by using it to cut some limes for Coronas on a camping trip lol.

I don’t think of Microtechs as tool knives, they’re cool, just more for fun at barbecues and such (just don’t use it for citrus fruits). YMMV.
Exactly, OTF are great for self defense and light use. But you will destroy them using them like a utility knife. The AFO on the other hand, is a beast that would be very hard to kill.

Microtech OTF is on my list. I really want a 85, but they arent on the discount program. Awesome knives.
They’re a tad on the small side for me…I have big hands. I have a couple of old school (smooth-side) Troodons, and they’re about perfect for EDC. The Combat Troodon is excellent, but a bit large and chonky to carry everyday. The Heretic Manticore E is about the same size as the original Troodons, so that would be another great option.

I like OTF's for suit pocket carry. They aren't heavy use knives but they have their place. I carry an OTF every week. If not a OTF then a ZT 0350 or 770CF. My 940-1 just sits in the desk drawer.

My biggest issue with Benchmade is they were donating to Oregon state Democrat campaigns. At the time, those Democrats were actively trying to pass anti-gun legislation and Benchmade knew it. The reality is knife manufacturers aren't really 2A advocates despite the overlap between the firearms industry and knife industry. If you spend some time at knife shows you start to see a lot of liberals and leftists who openly advocate against gun rights. It's a lot less acceptable today than ten years ago but it still goes on. You also see a lot of people who can't legally own guns in the knife industry.

It's a real shame about Benchmade, their axis lock autos are really good knives. Fortunately Kershaw/ZT is not far from Benchmade over in Tigard and they are firmly on board with fighting Oregon anti-gun politics.

Don’t get me wrong, Microtech OTFs are great knives, just not the right choice for times when your knife might also have to be a pry bar/screwdriver/hammer/etc.

I don’t care about politics, but if you do and you want a hard use auto, I’d recommend a Hogue EX-A01, great knives and pretty sure Hogue is 2A-approved (bought one for my father-in-law and liked it enough to buy one for myself too). The Hogue knives quality-wise are as good or better than Benchmade and will be what I go with in the future.

Do some research…They made special chop saw blades for them.

I’m aware. It wasn’t a serious post. The wording of your post just struck me as funny. I don’t own any Benchmades because I do care about politics, as it applies to 2A issues. I mostly prefer fixed blades, but carry a few Kershaw folders for light work that serve just fine.

I’m aware. It wasn’t a serious post. The wording of your post just struck me as funny. I don’t own any Benchmades because I do care about politics, as it applies to 2A issues. I mostly prefer fixed blades, but carry a few Kershaw folders for light work that serve just fine.
I still have a few Benchmades I paid good money for...But all were bought 10+ years before that incident happened. It's a shame they're ant-gun dickholes, because they do make good knives.

Reactions: Sniperstud
I still have a few Benchmades I paid good money for...But all were bought 10+ years before that incident happened. It's a shame they're ant-gun dickholes, because they do make good knives.

Les De Asis, the owner of Benchmade, died in 2020.