• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchmark Barrels 6.5 WSM (900 round update)

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA
Just got it broke in. Will be sending it off for Nitride this week.

65WSM017.jpg

65WSM016.jpg

65WSM015.jpg

Re: Benchmark Barrels 6.5 WSM

Jesse, Great looking stick! Keep us appraised on how she shoots.

Thanks.
I had the finish reamer set up for the 140 Bergers. So far i have fired 20 rounds through it. H1000 and BR2's seemed to shoot good at 500 yards.

ill take a guess.
bat short action, benchmark 3 groove 1:8.5 twist 12 flutes
manners stock seekins bottom metal with 5 round mag chammbered in 6.5wsm
jewel trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a sweet truck!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Thanks. I doubled the value of it when i set the rifle on it
grin.gif
Priorities right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle! </div></div>

what about the truck? its cool right

Jesse, super sick stick. How does it shoot is the question???

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Here is a pic in the Seekins mag. Sorry its poor quality my digital camera battery is dead.</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">HERE IS A BETTER PIC</span>
Left is a 7x300wsm with 180gr Berger. Right is the 6.5x300wsm with 140gr Berger

65WSM023.jpg

I have only fired 20 rounds through it for break in at 500 yds. However with the load i 'guessed' at it shot about 1/2 moa at 500yds. I was pleasantly suprised. 63gr of H1000 was the starting load with no pressure signs and some guys are running 68gr+, those guys are getting about 3,200 fps out of a 24" barrel. I wasn't going to post pics of the rifle yet because it hasn't been Nitrided. I don't want to put too many rounds through it until then. But i have no doubt that when i get it back from MMI Trutec that it will shoot the lights out. I will post more pics and targets when i get it back (about 1 week).

I am not going for laserbeam speeds like some do with the 6.5 wsm. Honestly i will be happy with 3,000-3,100 fps (Its a 21.5" barrel). I am going to chrono it too when i get it back. Some tactical competitions i have been to limit MV to 3,100 fps or less so i wanted that in a short barreled rifle without pushing pressures hence the overbore cartridge. The whole rifle as you see it is light too, 11.5 lbs total even with that USO. It balances superbly just in front of the magazine it is actually back heavy. I couldn't be happier with this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chickeneye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the contour on that barrel? heavy palma-ish? </div></div>

21.5" Remington Sendero, 12 flutes 8.5 twist 3 groove. Threaded and chambered the barrel came out to 3 lbs 1 oz.

Glen i got an email saying my emails to you had failed. I tried sending you the MMI Trutec (Melonite) contact info and a report on the 5 round mag (it feeds flawlessly by the way). Did you recieve these emails? If not PM me and i can get them to you. Thanks again for the 5 rounder i am very happy with it.

Jesse,

Keep us informed about what kind of barrel life you get with the Nitride treatment. I had a 6.5 WSM that shot great for about 500 rounds and then the accuracy went downhill real fast. For 1,000 yard comps the 6.5 WSM would be a viable round if I could get 1,000 rounds out before the accuracy went to hell. I have two barrels (338 Edge and a 6mm BR) at MMI Trutec right now being treated and I intend on letting people know how the barrels do and how long they do it.

wade

The rifle does look nice and I too am looking forward to seeing the finished product. What sling is that? How do you like it for both carrying and shooting the rifle? Will there be a bipod mounted in the future, if so, what kind? I have a custom rig coming in a few weeks and am currently picking up the accessories here-and-there. While I am capable of making my own educated purchases, I am also open so other's opinions and suggestions with products they have spent their hard-earned $ on.

EH

can tell by looking it is a tis quick cuff, great slings. I would assume he is going to use a atlas bipod because it has the mount for it. I have one on my 284 and I love it, if I could I would replace all my harris's with atlas's.

You are correct. TIS sling, i love it, very solid. It cuffs to your upper arm and allows you to have a supported sling position with little to no muscle control. It has flush cups that work off a push button. I installed the flush cups on the weak side of the rifle so the bolt doesn't dig into my back while carrying, and one on the opposite side for using the sling (it crosses over my left hand and gives me a little more solid hold). I am going to use the Larue cam lock quick detach bi-pod with a Harris S series 9-13". I want to easily be able to take it on and off and switch between different lengths of bi-pods. The rail on the bottom of my stock is made by Seekins. Here is a pic.

I also sanded off and did my own texturing as i am not a big fan of the Manners texturing (sorry Tom).

65WSM020.jpg

Here is another pic illustrating the third sling point for the TIS.

65WSM021.jpg

Grove Tec makes the thread in stainless flush cups. They're cheap and awesome. A little milling and epoxy and Viola! When you buy the TIS sling you can order it with the flush cup adapters but you have to buy the actual flush cups from Grove Tec.

Jerry at Benchmark did the chambering. Ron and I bedded it with aluminum pillars and Titanium Devcon. And my brother (a-hull) and i did all the stock work i.e. texturing, painting, etc.

Just realized i forgot to mention these guys. I thanked them so much in person i forgot to mention them here.

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #3366FF">THANKS AGAIN GUYS !</span> </span>

Just got my barreled action back from MMI-Trutec. I'll probably take it up to Benchmark tonight to head space it. I have to Cerakote the aluminum parts to match the Melonite then reassemble but then i'll be done. MMI did an awesome job on the finish, i would recommend them to anyone. I also love the LaRue quick detach for the bipod. Everything turned out awesome. I couldn't be happier (unless i was shooting it).

Picture2010.jpg

Picture2011.jpg

Picture2013.jpg

Picture2014.jpg

well if it shoots as good as it looks then we are in trouble at the match on the 15th.

Beautiful rifle!

Side question if you don't mind, what kind of screw on cover is that on the ocular of the USO? I have seen the objective screw-on cover but don't believe I have seen the rear one... I don't recall seeing threads at the ocular to allow that kind of cover...

Thanks!

I ordered it that way. When i made the order at USO i thought threaded caps was for the thread in style flip up covers like Leupold has, i was wrong. When i openend the box those threaded covers were inside...all well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well if it shoots as good as it looks then we are in trouble at the match on the 15th. </div></div>

I think it might!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered it that way. When i made the order at USO i thought threaded caps was for the thread in style flip up covers like Leupold has, i was wrong. When i openend the box those threaded covers were inside...all well! </div></div>

Interesting... Would you mind showing a closeup picture of the eye piece without the screw-on cover? Sorry to keep going off topic but I'm intrigued...

That is one very, VERY nice rifle! im impressed, i really like this rifle. the fluted barrel, the action you chose, the stock, all the details you chose and included, the stock, the optics and mounts, every last detail. very impressed. nice rig!

Paulus

yeah if that rifle dont give you a boner, you need checked out, thats a sweet and clean looking rifle/scope combo. very nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got my barreled action back from MMI-Trutec. I'll probably take it up to Benchmark tonight to head space it. I have to Cerakote the aluminum parts to match the Melonite then reassemble but then i'll be done. MMI did an awesome job on the finish, i would recommend them to anyone. I also love the LaRue quick detach for the bipod. Everything turned out awesome. I couldn't be happier (unless i was shooting it).

Picture2010.jpg

Picture2011.jpg

Picture2013.jpg

Picture2014.jpg
</div></div>

That is a awesome setup for sure !!!!!!

I am interested to see how much more barrel/throat life the Melonite provides ???

Steve

That thing is nasty. I want to build a 7wsm just like it. All my stuff is going short now. Got about a dozen 28-30in guns. Tired of them being so unhandy. Cutting my 243 ai to 20in. Go forth and kill stuff with it.

ok, now that i wiped the drool off my face, I have to ask what was the cost of just the fluted barrel? I am on the fence with a new build and want to look at various companies before "pulling the trigger" and placing an order.

Thanks in advance

Varget, H4350, and H1000 all produced 2950+fps (not bad out of a 21.5" barrel but i think i can get more) with the 140 Bergers (.612bc). I am going out again today to do more load developement. I ran out of time yesterday so i just did max pressure testing.

Thank you all for the nice comments. I am exited about getting it dialed in for the Oregon match. I would like to see 3,000fps plus but i am also trying to use powders that are forgiving of temperature change. When i get the groups on paper i'll post them up.

Barrel cost is as follows

Retail SS blank (27") $280

12 flutes is expensive because it takes FOREVER to do so don't be stunned by the price, 6 flutes is alot cheaper. 12 flutes $200

<span style="color: #FF0000">Thats $480 plus $60 for Melonite.</span>

Its more if you want them to thread and chamber it but they give you a deal if its their barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Interesting... Would you mind showing a closeup picture of the eye piece without the screw-on cover? Sorry to keep going off topic but I'm intrigued...
</div></div>

Got rained on. Fired one shot
cry.gif
All well. Tomorrows another day. Here's the scope pics.

Picture2015.jpg

Nice looking rifle! I like the cartridge, too. I have a poor-man's version of this beauty myself. In fact, I've been wanting to screw that barrel back on my receiver once the weather breaks. I'm not surprised that you're having good luck with H-1000. It performs very well for me with the 129 SSTs I've been using.