• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Benchmark Barrels 6.5 WSM (900 round update)

Re: Benchmark Barrels 6.5 WSM

It's a hot rig but I think you'll have a tough time with that length barrel getting over 3K fps.
Try Accurate MagPro.

Your right. My most accurate loads are either near max like with H4350 around 2950fps or H4831sc around 2850fps. I think when i have to rebarrel it i will go with a 24" barrel. H4350 seems to be the best velocity 3040fps at max but the accuracy isn't up there with that powder.

Saturday i went to Plantation (rifle range) and loaded in .1gr increments H4831sc starting at 57gr up to 57.7gr with a .030" jump. All 8 shots were under 1" at 300yds. Similar results with H4350. I am going to test seating depths for both of these next on Wed.

If you want speed and accuracy, I think you're going to have look at the double based powders.
What is the volume of your brass?
That 4350 load seems pretty hot.

nitriding in any form should give u an increase about 3-6 fold on wear resistance.

Update for those interested in barrel life.

I have 500 rounds through the rifle now after Melonite and i am showing .055" of throat wear.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject of throat wear, but is that a good number or not? Whats normal (non melonited) for 500 ish rounds?

As a comparison the accuracy on my 6.5 WSM went south at about 450 rounds and never returned, I forget what the throat wear was. I would build another 6.5 WSM if the QPQ process gets 1,000 rounds with accuracy.

wade

In the testing that Joel Kendrick did of two 7 SAUM's, both same barrel maker, twist, length, and load, the untreated barrel showed .055" of throat wear after 500 rounds and the treated had only .003". So i figure that barrel life will be similar to the 7 WSM. I'm expecting 1,100 rounds or so. I did get to look at the throat and bore with a bore scope and it showed minor fire cracking.

MuleHunter,
are there any updates you can give us regarding barrel life, accuracy and other related issues in reference to this project? Positive overall value or not worth the hassle?
Thanks!

Almost 900 rounds of plinking, hunting, and heavy competition use and still going strong! I definetly think it's worth the cost. Took it to the range the other day and shot 9 shots that were .4" at 100 yds. It has been hundreds of rounds since last cleaning. I'm very happy with the barrel life considering most go south at 500 rounds. When i do rebarrel i might do a Melonited /ABS Carbon 7 WSM.

I settled on a load of 2,930fps with a very mild charge of RL-17. It is temperature stable and accurate. Who knows i may just rebarrel but stick to this combo, it seems to work for me. I have made up my mind on the 7 or 6.5 yet. The Matrix bullets are leaning me towards the 7.

I had good success with it in Montana last year. Of course it was only 40 yards away
smirk.gif

SANY0704.jpg