• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchrest rest

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
My neighbor couldn't see paying the $$$ for a benchrest rest, so he made this one. What do you think? He's thinking of offering these for sale for $500. I told him he needed to offer them in football colors, but he's not too keen on those.

Nice looking rest. I would not be interested in a one piece, but would have an interest in a front rest.

For 22lr this might work OK. There is a reason rests are heavy. You don't want them to move under recoil and alter the shot.
You can buy a really good rest set-up for $500. My Sinclair Rest and rear bag cost a little under that.
It just looks like it won't track right, even with a 22lr rifle

DSC_3237.jpg (82.8 KB)

Attachments

• DSC_3237.jpg
    DSC_3237.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 14
It was built for .22s, not for center fire. Actually, it tracks quite well. One quarter twist of the windage knob moves the reticle just under a half inch.

I'm not sure he would want to break into just front rests-- there are other issues involved in the design.

maybe you could just give him the input to make front and rear come apart and even adjust and then add some posts so users could add weights to the unit... consider it constructive criticism to help him with the design if he ever decides to make a business of it.