• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchrest shooting

Re: Benchrest shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleDeuce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure I comprehend.... once sighted in what is the challenge?? </div></div>

Based on the way you question the subject it looks like you have no first hand experience with benchrest shooting. Changing conditions will change your zero enough so that you will not be competitive at all unless you compensate for the changing conditions.

The challenge is compensating for the changing conditions, learning real trigger control even on a 2 oz. trigger. And doing everything else exactly the same way shot after shot to make those uber small groups.

Also you're in the wrong forum for that. You should go to benchrest central or accurate shooter for further information.

However it looks like you are new to this forum so I will say, "welcome to the hide."

Gene

Try ya a round of IR50/50. Ain't been a perfect score yet.

thanks guys, sorry for posting in the wrong place... I was only thinking of rimfire, nothing else... maybe ill give it a shot.. I kinda want to get a taste of it all

As I understand the real challenge in Rimfire benchrest is finding and buying a copious quantity of ammo that is a match for your gun. They don't shoot CCI Blazer in those puppies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand the real challenge in Rimfire benchrest is finding and buying a copious quantity of ammo that is a match for your gun. They don't shoot CCI Blazer in those puppies. </div></div>

DOH!!! so that's what I have been doing wrong. Bought a brand new case of Rem Thunderbolts just for for benchrest....(joking)..
laugh.gif

You are correct getting the ammo to match your rifle is very important however based on my limited experience it is just the tip of the ice berg. Serious Benchresting can get expensive and become time consuming. I do a little of it now but I probably won't really get into it until I retire when I have more time on my hands.

Gene

biggest thing in the benchrest game after setting up the rig is reading the wind, as the rifle and ammo combination is almost perfect dead on 50 yard zero.

i've tried it a few times, but realized that i am WAY outgunned.

i don't mean to sound like i'm knocking any shooting dicipline, but basically bolting down a rifle to a bench and not even looking through an optic while squeezing the trigger just isn't my bag of tea. plus i just don't have the funds to build the type of thoroughbred that is almost essential to even make a showing on the roster.

there is a "production" type of division, but no one in my area was shooting it, so it was just me against the thoroughbreds - i just was out of place.

but, this is a super precise dicipline and takes alot of knowledge, experience, and mechanical advantages to succeed. though it may appear to be "easy" it is far from the truth when considering what you have to do to get to this level. plus the scoring system has you in the perfection game, 99% of your hit may be in the higher scoring ring, but that 1% in the lower scoring ring earns you a lower point score (worse edge scoring).

16ths to 32nds of an inch from shot to shot judges a good score from a not so good score. pulling (or misjudging the wind) a shot may be a 1/8" difference, but will cost you a match.

picture that benchrest shooting is sort of what formula 1 racing is to a demolition derby.

Its a tough game to do great at. It takes a lot of money, time, and energy. I tried it on the local level, with a decent outfit and shot great, I thought. Those old guys cleaned my plow. Figured out I didn't have enough money, time, or energy.

Time and money is something im short on theses days.... thats why I got a .22... im not sure I have the patients for benchrest it sounds like

Haha I shoot bench rest to get my guns spot on but you guys are totally right about changing conditions. Also, trying shooting farther than what you are sighted in for. You start shooting out a couple hundred yards with a rimfire and you will see the challenge. And if we are talking bigger cartridges then you are shooting a far enough distance where wind becomes a big factor as well as drop, Coriolis effect, elevation, humidity, etc. At that point all that bench rest is doing for you is holding your gun still, you still gotta know what to do from there.

I found a tactical 22 match nearby that we shoot at 50,112,167, and 212 yards at knockdown targets. Mostly from a prone or supported position. It has turned out to be a blast. I setting up my gun now for the next season which starts in March. You have to have a knowledge of your gun, your skills, and your dope. I suggest finding something like this. We only use about 50 rounds a match and the competition is fun.