• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing bend of the receiver rem 700

plamia2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Russia
Hello, Hyde!

I gave my gunsmith to another city my 700 LTR to replace the factory barrel.
When I got a rifle with a new barrel, I saw that the gunsmith had bent the receiver when he unscrewed the old barrel.
I called him, he said that he send me an action wrench, so that I could bend the receiver back.
I made the action wrench myself and removed the bend of the receiver.

Guys, I wanted to ask two questions:
  1. Is it true that I should not have bent the receiver, but I need to change it to a new one, since the rifle cannot shoot precisely because of the internal stresses of the metal?
  2. I could count on a discount or compensation for a bent receiver, or am I just a sly and greedy ass? :D

Tough call. I guess shoot it and see. I would not be happy about it for sure. If it was bent enough to notice it must have been pretty bad. not sure if that can ever be corrected.

Yes, tough.
I fixed the bend of the receiver.
I made several shots, now the POI does not change every time, before that she jumped on the target as she wanted. I will still check.
But some guys tell me that a rifle with such a receiver will no longer be as accurate as it could have been, and that worries me.

That's no bueno. I would have words with that smith. If you're going to keep it, you'll mostly likely have to bed it. But I would wonder if the scope base holes line up.

I use the chassis "XLR element".
Bent receiver "jumped" in the bed chassis, and the rear screw touched the wall of the hole.
Now the receiver is in the chassis steady.

Yes, the nightforce 40 moa base this smith bent me too, since didn’t take it off the receiver when unscrewed the factory barrel ?.
I straightened and screwed it.

Attachments

• 20190312_071342 2.jpg
    20190312_071342 2.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 144
Yeah replacement time. Factory barrels are often tight. Never try to bust them loose with an internal style action wrench without turning the shoulder with a cut-off tool first. Otherwise a "wrap around" style wrench is usually necessary, and a LOT of torque. Not sure why this was attempted with the rail still on, and really surprised the rail screws held on.

Accuracy probably won't be an issue, but the damage/poor job is.

Reactions: plamia2
Well, proof-one way or the other- is at the target.
But action screws shouldn't be contacting the hole through the chassis, no different than making sure they have clearance through pillars.

It's crazy enough that the smith bent the action, but even nuttier that he had the balls to tell you to straighten it yourself...

I'm surprised the bolt isn't binding.

Reactions: Dschapp44
I can't believe there is, in general, people like that in all professions. He should have asked for the whole thing back and returned it to you with a new receiver and rail. That's what I would have done.

I can't believe there is, in general, people like that in all professions. He should have asked for the whole thing back and returned it to you with a new receiver and rail. That's what I would have done.

Lol he's in Russia...they operate on another level

Reactions: plamia2
That smith, using the term loosely, owes you a receiver.
The problem is compounded by the fact he did not tell you what happened and left you to discover the problem and fix it.

Hello, Hyde!

I gave my gunsmith to another city my 700 LTR to replace the factory barrel.
When I got a rifle with a new barrel, I saw that the gunsmith had bent the receiver when he unscrewed the old barrel.
I called him, he said that he send me an action wrench, so that I could bend the receiver back.
I made the action wrench myself and removed the bend of the receiver.

Guys, I wanted to ask two questions:
  1. Is it true that I should not have bent the receiver, but I need to change it to a new one, since the rifle cannot shoot precisely because of the internal stresses of the metal?
  2. I could count on a discount or compensation for a bent receiver, or am I just a sly and greedy ass? :D

Shitty, but not the end of the world.

Over the years I have had a few folks send me receivers that someone had gotten heavy handed with. In every case I've been able to wring em back out. Just be willing to trust your eyes and your gut.

If it looks right, it probably is.

Good luck.

Shitty, but not the end of the world.

Over the years I have had a few folks send me receivers that someone had gotten heavy handed with. In every case I've been able to wring em back out. Just be willing to trust your eyes and your gut.

If it looks right, it probably is.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply and attention!

If not difficult, look here:

it was bend:

so after correction:

what do you say?

I'm at a loss as to figure out how this could happen unless the action wrench's torque was somehow applied at the bridge of the receiver. What sort of tool did you build to bend it back?

I'm at a loss as to figure out how this could happen unless the action wrench's torque was somehow applied at the bridge of the receiver. What sort of tool did you build to bend it back?

I think that the gunsmith used aktion wrench of poor quality or just did wrong.

To turn it back, I used a Wheeler action wrench #2 to clamp the front of the receiver, and a self-made internal action wrench to turn the back of the receiver.

Attachments

• 20190321_074658.jpg
    20190321_074658.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190315_203249.jpg
    20190315_203249.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Eddystone
Thanks for the reply. It makes more sense now. It makes sense how it happened. It doesn't make sense that a "gunsmith" would handle an action in that manner in the first place. Thanks for sharing.

I know I can't be the only one wondering this...

You've got the lathe.
You obviously have machining skills, and fitting/chambering a barrel-while requiring precision work, isn't rocket science.

Why didn't you do the work yourself?

I know I can't be the only one wondering this...

You've got the lathe.
You obviously have machining skills, and fitting/chambering a barrel-while requiring precision work, isn't rocket science.

Why didn't you do the work yourself?

According to local law, only a certified gunsmith can replace the barrel.

In addition, I was hoping that a professional would do such a job well :ROFLMAO:.

Must be a very rigorous, long road and extensive training to be a "certified" gunsmith, there :oops: