• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Benefit to a 7.62 reticle for an LPVO?

Quicksilvergoat

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
Is there any real benefit to a calibre specific reticle on an LPVO? I'm looking to put one on a Colt 901 I recently picked up. I think I would like the Leupold Mk 6 1-6 with the 7.62 reticle if it was still available. Thoughts?

All depends upon what the rifle use will be. First, understand that the reticle was designed for a specific bullet at a specific velocity and therefore a certain barrel length. As the Pirates of the Caribbean would say, the range markings are more guidelines than rules. If you are the military, know the exact rifle and round you will get a self explanatory sight designed for your rifle. As a civilian, expect it to be off by up to 50 yards at the 400 mark.

For speed shooting large, non-percision, targets like steel out to maybe 400 using hold overs, I like them. The only real advantage they have, is quickly using the marking to estimate range, using the same markings as hold over and possibly wind call as well. These reticles can be a good clean just what you need option.

You can be just as fast if you know your holds on a reticle with a Christmas tree of hold overs as well. These reticles can be busy by comparison though.

If you know your velocity and bullet, plug it into an app like Strelok Pro and see what the different reticle really do.

Last edited: