• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benefits of a fluted bolt?

What are the benefits of having a bolt fluted? Is it more cosmetic than function? Or is it to clear sand/debris quickly?

Equate it like this:

If you like a miniskirt, one that is more "mini" is better cause it looks more "gooder" right?

Fluting is much the same.

As I have stated before, there's an extreme example of when it does become a "thing". Have a room temp rifle suddenly exposed to heavy snowfall. When it melts, then freezes again, the gun will turn into an ice cube. In this circumstance, fluting does chew through it better than non fluted.

C.

The story behind this can be found here:

link to an earlier thread where this is talked about in more detail

Last edited:
Of all the actions I have owned and used I feel like the non fluted bolts are smoother and have a less tendency to bind. I have never had any issues with an action freezing up and I shoot in some nasty shit!

AB65A91B-6618-4AD3-B9FA-2C0B2BF7DD58.jpeg

495A4A8C-E168-4603-8D5C-545617C2C50D.jpeg

Reactions: Novak77 and Ledzep
Fluting has put more pressure on the smaller area and now it doesn’t feel as smooth or gentle. It’s not bad mind you, it’s just not as floaty as before.
Still looks cool and was on sale :cool:

Helps you run bolt faster, it channels wind resistance. If it's spiral fluted. Make sure they are spiraling in the correct direction. It should match barrel twist.
Having said that, I cant tell any difference in mine.

Doesn’t it cancel out spin drift?

That’s what a guy at the local gun store told me :p

• Haha
Reactions: abn31c
Have a room temp rifle suddenly exposed to heavy snowfall. When it melts, then freezes again, the gun will turn into an ice cube. In this circumstance, fluting does chew through it better than non fluted.

Ok, I can somewhat see this although I would think ice behind/around the lugs doing more to lock up the action than clinging to the bolt body. Makes sense.