• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Benefits of Suppressing?

crookedshot13

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
ND
I have a Remington AAC-SD, and I like the idea of suppressors, but for a civilian/hobby shooters, do you guys feel like it is worth the 600-1200$ for a suppressor?

Are there any benefits besides the noise reduction?
Is the recoil reduction that significant?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Benefits of Suppressing?

It depends: Is a $1000 can justified on a $500 rifle? Only you can be the judge of that.

You have to shoot suppressed to start to realize all the benefits.

Saves your hearing.
More enjoyable to shoot.
Increase your accuracy potential.
More courteous to other shooters.
Reduced recoil regardless the caliber.
Increase training efficiency.

Only you can determine how much is WORTH it for you to spend on your setup.

Remember, there are guys on this forum that have spend $2000 on a scope for a $600 rifle. Spending more than your rifle can hurt BUT if it makes your rifle that much better its well worth it.

Rifle cans range in prices from $450 to $1600. Which one is for you is first determined by how much you want to invest in it.

Get a can, you won't regret it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StalkingRhino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a can, you won't regret it! </div></div>You won't regret it provided that it's a quality can designed for precision work.

That's what I was wondering, if you could get a 500$ish can and it still be of decent quality and an actual improvement to the rifle. Main reason I was considering this on a cheaper rifle is because this is my main rifle, I've already put a stock and good optics on it so I was wondering what another upgrade would be. (I'm waiting to shoot out the barrel before replacing, just to maximize practice with it.)

Don't forgot it makes you looks super tacticool. Aside from the noise reduction the thing I like most is the recoil reduction. Really makes for a more enjoyable day of shooting.

Now that I have a couple I rarely shoot without a suppressor. The recoil impulse is smoothed out and makes for easier follow up. If you do go for a suppressor consider a thread on model. The QD mounts will not help accuracy. I have a AAC 7.62 SD and a Thunder Beast 30P-1. The 30P-1 actually improves grouping on my guns, the AAC not so much.

You really need to spend a little (doesn't take a lot...) time around and firing suppressed rifles to understand that YES, you want to spend $1000 on one for yourself.

It's frickin cool.

Plus, no one else mentioned it adds some velocity, somewhere between 25 and 75fps for most cartridges.

It is a health decision, no really, don't laugh.

Even with 'good' hearing protection, shooting a rifle without a suppressor (155 to 170+ db) can, and will over time, often cause hearing loss. Good hearing protection ranges from the upper 20s to mid 30s in db sound reduction. That means each shot can still be in the 125 to 140 db range. 140 db is generally considered the threshold of CERTAIN damage.

Now add a suppressor to the rifle, while keeping the hearing protection, and get about an additional 30 db of sound reduction from the suppressor and you are down in the 100 to 110 db range which is MUCH safer for your ears.

Recoil reduction, accuracy increases, and courtesy to the neighbors are just extra benefits for me.

I learned this 'nonsense' the hard way.

Great post from another forum with some embedded links to some other great info:

http://m14forum.com/hearing/78442-various-noise-levels-firearms.html

Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated. Nice post arnygollot.

Find a suppressed range or fellow member and try out a can. Make sure you want one.
If so
get a trust first, then research the versitlity of mounting and thread pitches. Research a great can with great customer service. Then buy a can. You'll have plenty of time to pay off the can/ buy adapters / buy subsonic ammo / or thread your other guns because the wait is horridly long.

x2 on what everyone else is saying.

But remember, you can easily move your can from gun to gun so its not stuck on that specific gun. When I bought my .30 cal can and divided the total cost between guns that I could use it on, it was like $50 a gun, cheaper than putting a muzzle brake on each. Think about it.

Single point threaded can for precision work.

Get a Thunderbeast if you want to compete with it.

it is absolutely worth it and very addicting also, if you cannot afford a can or more, do not try one or you'll be hooked.
I know cause I am on the hook for four of them.

Short answer... YES! Well worth it. Never thought i would like it thst much. But now i hate to shoot without it. Well worth it to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crookedshot13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any suppressors that span .308 cal to .338 LM? </div></div>

A 338LM can will work sweet on anything smaller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crookedshot13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any suppressors that span .308 cal to .338 LM?</div></div>

Turbo54 is correct. I have a Thunderbeast 338ba that I use on both my 338LM and my .308. Dramatic difference on both but especially on the 338LM!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is absolutely worth it and very addicting also, if you cannot afford a can or more, do not try one or you'll be hooked.
I know cause I am on the hook for four of them. </div></div>

Ditto. Us WA folks finally get to play.
smile.gif

The only time I don't shoot suppressed is with my hunting rifles that don't have threaded barrels.
That's another thing. Every barrel you own, you will want to thread.
smirk.gif

PS - pick a can that is serviceable if you are shooting .22LR or pistol calibers. It's a HORRIBLE feeling sending 1-2K rounds a month through non-serviceable cans.