• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Benelli Be.s.t. ?

DangerRanger

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2018
East
Interested in getting a new hunting shotgun. While I’m quite into collecting rifles I’ve never gotten terribly into shotguns... I currently shoot a Japanese a5 and like it but it’s heavy and wood so was considering something easier to maintain and toss around.
Figured I should buy once cry once so was looking at Super black eagle 3s... does any have one of the new be.s.t. Editions and have an opinions if its worth the 400$ up charge?

I have a SBE 3 that I picked up this time last year. It does not have the B.E.S.T on it. From my understanding that's a surface treatment that guards against rust and corrosion. I had to send mine back to Benelli as it did not shoot to POA. If you Google the issue, it's a common problem with the SBE3. It's hit or miss on whether you get one that has the issue or not. Benelli fixed mine and had it back in a couple weeks. It has something to do with the retaining ring on the barrel being out of spec. Otherwise it's been flawless with everything I've shot out of it. My buddy bought a Beretta A 400 Extreme Plus. If I had to do it over again I would get the Beretta. No POA issues and since it's a gas gun it shoots much softer. It also shoulders better for me compared to the SBE3. It's also less expensive.

Reactions: DangerRanger
I will check out the a400. I’m assuming they are considered as reliable?

best appears to be a multilayer DLC, and I really like the DLC actions I have used, I think it should make the action super slick.

I have seen some issues with shooting high, that for sure seems like an issue with turkeys but seems like some like it for wingshooting? To be honest I’m extremely novice at any shotgun hunting besides deer, hoping this new shotgun will help that out:)

The SBE3 is slick all by itself. It doesn't need the DLC in my opinion. Mine shot high and left. So much so that at 25 yards it'd be an issue on turkeys. Oddly Beretta owns Benelli, yet the issue seems to be a problem with the Benelli's. I only turkey hunt, so it was a concern for me. My buddy bought the exact same SBE3 and didn't have the issue I did. Like I said, it's hit or miss. No pun intended.

The SBE3 is slick all by itself. It doesn't need the DLC in my opinion. Mine shot high and left. So much so that at 25 yards it'd be an issue on turkeys. Oddly Beretta owns Benelli, yet the issue seems to be a problem with the Benelli's. I only turkey hunt, so it was a concern for me. My buddy bought the exact same SBE3 and didn't have the issue I did. Like I said, it's hit or miss. No pun intended.

is yours camo? How has it held up.

I have a bias against beretta brand that I should get over and look at them. I’ve always liked brownings but I don’t like the sticky coatings they seem to have now

I have a SBE 3 that I picked up this time last year. It does not have the B.E.S.T on it. From my understanding that's a surface treatment that guards against rust and corrosion. I had to send mine back to Benelli as it did not shoot to POA. If you Google the issue, it's a common problem with the SBE3. It's hit or miss on whether you get one that has the issue or not. Benelli fixed mine and had it back in a couple weeks. It has something to do with the retaining ring on the barrel being out of spec. Otherwise it's been flawless with everything I've shot out of it. My buddy bought a Beretta A 400 Extreme Plus. If I had to do it over again I would get the Beretta. No POA issues and since it's a gas gun it shoots much softer. It also shoulders better for me compared to the SBE3. It's also less expensive.
I had the same issue w the SBE 3. I even put a larger bead on the front and still shot high as hell. My buddy gave me a full refund and i bought 2 A400 Extreme plus. Beretta POA is 50/50-60/40 depending on the loads I'm using. Ended this years season strong. We go on a weekend snow goose hunt April 3/4 CANT WAIT!!

is yours camo? How has it held up.

I have a bias against beretta brand that I should get over and look at them. I’ve always liked brownings but I don’t like the sticky coatings they seem to have now

My SBE 3 is Optifade Timber. I haven't had any issues with the finish. If you want the Benelli by all means get it. But shooting the SBE3 and Beretta A400 Extreme Plus side by side I'd get the Beretta for all of the issues mentioned earlier.

I had the same issue w the SBE 3. I even put a larger bead on the front and still shot high as hell. My buddy gave me a full refund and i bought 2 A400 Extreme plus. Beretta POA is 50/50-60/40 depending on the loads I'm using. Ended this years season strong. We go on a weekend snow goose hunt April 3/4 CANT WAIT!!

Had I known of the issued I would not have bought the SBE3. The A400 Exteme Plus is an excellent shotgun.

Have ~12k rounds through a Benelli Vinci. Replaced the recoil spring at ~10k, no problems before or since. I shoot much much less shotgun now but it does not show any indication of slowing down. I have seen the A400's have some issues. Hunting buddy had his back and forth to the factory 3 times. Probably an isolated incident. Both are quality shotguns for sure.

For not hitting POA with shotguns, I'm assuming someone went through fitting the buttstock to the shooter? That is the most important thing in shotgun shooting that I have seen. The new shim systems make it much easier than it used to be.

Have ~12k rounds through a Benelli Vinci. Replaced the recoil spring at ~10k, no problems before or since. I shoot much much less shotgun now but it does not show any indication of slowing down. I have seen the A400's have some issues. Hunting buddy had his back and forth to the factory 3 times. Probably an isolated incident. Both are quality shotguns for sure.

For not hitting POA with shotguns, I'm assuming someone went through fitting the buttstock to the shooter? That is the most important thing in shotgun shooting that I have seen. The new shim systems make it much easier than it used to be.

I shimmed mine for the proper cast. The POA problems are a known issue with the SBE3. Benelli's customer service acknowledged it and explained the issue. The issue isn't the cast or proper butt stock fitting. The retaining ring on the magazine tube is misaligned. Tightening the barrel nut down puts the barrel out of alignment. For the money the Beretta is the better option in my opinion.

Interesting. The Vinci has an actual barreled receiver. No magazine tube nut. I thought that was the best thing ever on a shotgun. Suprising they didn't catch on really. I think it was because they look more like a ray gun than a shotgun lol. I'm sure they all have their QC issues from time to time. Hunted with a guy who never got his A400 to cycle 3.5's correctly. On the other hand hunted with many A391's that would feed and eject cardboard.

My SBE 3 is Optifade Timber. I haven't had any issues with the finish. If you want the Benelli by all means get it. But shooting the SBE3 and Beretta A400 Extreme Plus side by side I'd get the Beretta for all of the issues mentioned earlier.
Thank you, I will look into them more and try to find one to check out in person. I’m used to buying my guns online and having them shipped in and I know that’s not what I should be doing on a $2k shotgun

I purchased my SBE 3 online. My buddy purchased his Beretta from the same place. I saved $300 by purchasing online with the price difference and sales tax. My buddy's A400 was $300 cheaper than my Benelli.

The main reason w the SBE3 shooting high is the flex in the stock. Don't waste your time shimming or putting a larger bead on the rib unless you have a habit of floating the target by 2 feet. I shimmed my SBE2 and had a 60/40 pattern. Regret selling it to a buddy when the new NOT SO GREAT SBE3 came out. Mainly use a Browning Cynergy for ducks and now the Beretta Extreme plus for honkers.

So the 400 Xtreme plus seems to be the Cadillac of duck guns at the moment? I like that it comes in real tree timber I like that pattern. Tapped for a red dot seems cool for a turkey gun as well....

Reactions: BCX
Bought mine midseason, never cleaned it till end of season,, even shot 400 rounds of sporting clays and patterned it. I have a 28 inch MAX 5 and 30 inch MAX 5

Well I got my hands on both and looks like it’s an sbe3 for me. It just flat out felt better in every way. I had gotten excited about the a400 recoil but I knew it when I held them both.
Back to trying to decide if the be.s.t. Is worth 400$ more

I tried to love my SBE3, i just couldn't deal w the POA issues. Its easier to clean than the Extreme plus which is a plus. I tried to get my Extreme plus to fail but just kept going and going. Didn't clean it till the end of season. Had over 400 rounds through her.

Sorry, didn't realize i already posted that LOL!

OFF TRACK: Got a Benelli M2 Tactical semi-auto. Not for hunting, but for SD. Worth every penny. Smooth, accurate, etc. Can't say enough about the quality!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudmarine
I tried to love my SBE3, i just couldn't deal w the POA issues. Its easier to clean than the Extreme plus which is a plus. I tried to get my Extreme plus to fail but just kept going and going. Didn't clean it till the end of season. Had over 400 rounds through her.

Sorry, didn't realize i already posted that LOL!

min really hoping I don’t have the crazy high POI issues, I’m able to get a black version of the sbe3 for 100$ more than the a400 so really they match up quite well price wise to me. I went in thinking I was going beretta but now I think I have to roll the dice.

I debated both at first... went w the SBE3 at first and in the end the Extreme plus

I've always had Benellis for waterfowl and the SBE3 was a flop. I too had the high and left issue, tried all of the fixes, sent it back, still there. I sold both and currently don't have a waterfowl gun, I am torn between going back to the SBE2, Super Vinci, or maybe giving something else a whirl. I sure hope Benelli can get the issue figured out or come out with a replacement in short order because they've driven a lot of loyal Benelli shooters away from the brand.

Reactions: BCX
Just picked up a new SBE3 yesterday, put a few boxes of shells through it this morning. Shoots on the money, smooth and reliable, even with 1-1/8 oz trap loads. I expected to have to float my clay birds from what I've been reading, but ended up using a pretty typical sight picture.
Maybe the issues with this model have been taken care of. Benelli seems to be a pretty responsive company.
I've used the heck out of an M2 Tactical for many years- that is a pretty amazing shotgun. Good stuff.

Reactions: BCX and tex68w
I shoot shotguns competitively - by a Beretta xtrema 2 and be done with it. Benelli are recoil operated and will kick the sno tout of you far more, not only that you cant slowly close a bolt on a Benelli (go ahead try it) and have it guarantee to go into battery - not great.

Reactions: tacops1
I shoot shotguns competitively - by a Beretta xtrema 2 and be done with it. Benelli are recoil operated and will kick the sno tout of you far more, not only that you cant slowly close a bolt on a Benelli (go ahead try it) and have it guarantee to go into battery - not great.
Does the beretta cycle all Loads well?

Not true on the Super Vinci or SBE3, that's no longer a thing. And honesty it's extremely rare on the older guns as well. I've had 20 years of other Benelli's (HK SBE, SBE2) prior to my Super Vinci and SBE3's and I've only had it happen twice over the course of those years and both times it was totally my fault for knocking it out of battery. The only people I have ever heard complain about recoil out of an inertia gun were a 9-year old girl and an older gentleman who had rotator cuff surgery in the past, so take that for what it's worth.

I just dont trust piston shotguns for waterfowl. I also beat the snot out of them and get them muddy, wet and just plain dirty. I went with a Steoger M3500 camo and it has been a workhorse. Ill spend a mint on a good upland gun, but I prefer those to be O/U's.. For waterfowl I just want it to be reliable and not terribly expensive, due to the abuse they see.

Reactions: tex68w
I just dont trust piston shotguns for waterfowl. I also beat the snot out of them and get them muddy, wet and just plain dirty. I went with a Steoger M3500 camo and it has been a workhorse. Ill spend a mint on a good upland gun, but I prefer those to be O/U's.. For waterfowl I just want it to be reliable and not terribly expensive, due to the abuse they see.

The M3000 and M3500 are fantastic guns for the money as is the Franchi Affinity.

Reactions: 3-0-hate
I was torn between the SBE3 and A400 plus. I have always hunted with benelli's and have never heard the "click". However I wanted to try something new and went with a Beretta this time. Now just waiting for another 40% off sale so I can order a case and spare magazine cap.

Super x3. I have beat the hell out it since I got it. Been in through 3 seasons of guiding spring snows in Missouri. Fallen off of utvs and bounced around in truck beds. Not cleaned nearly enough. Usualy just spray CLP in it and hit the field. I hunt ducks and geese all over. I'm steel pits, wood pits, layout blinds, hiding in piles of drift wood on the river. It is a tool that has never let me down.

Only issue i ever had was I deep cleaned it one time. Sonic cleaned some parts. Soaked other parts in cleaner. And it didn't want to cycle the cheapest field loads. Until it got a little dirty than ran like a top. After about 4 shots it ran like a top.

I also used it in a 3 gun match i shot for fun.

Hard to beat for sub $1k. I know the super x 4 is out but I have had no experience with it. Watched people with sbe 2 and 3 have issues. Never been around a Vinci. A400 are pretty solid too.

Guess I should have researched on here, but didn't think we had any waterfowlers.

Been chasing ducks and geese around with my old man since I was 5.
20191111_170102.jpg

IDK what you're hunting, but I've had great experience and reliability with a Benelli nova in 20 gauge for pheasants and quail. It's a great light weight option for upland game or doves. I am not a fan of it in 12ga though. Only downsides are its a pump and it doesn't have a premium feel if that's something you care about.

I'm a late bloomer as it comes to ducks. Started around 30yo. Probably a good thing too. Turns out to it cost a lot of $$$ for that little bit of meat. I've been wanting to try geese, but hesitant at this point.

No reason to be hesitant, they are basically bigger ducks lol. We snag a few geese on most duck hunts and a few times a season we will target geese specifically, they hit the deck with a lot more force. And yes, it can be a tad pricey on the initial buy-in to get going but beyond that it's a relatively inexpensive/moderate and even somewhat repetitive animal to hunt.

Shot SB3 and Xtrema 400 and chose the Beretta. No regrets
Beretta does cycles 7/8 #9’s —> Mags
Beretta recoil pluse is more pleasant IMO

I am a dedicated waterfowl hunter and it's a pretty even split between Beretta and Benelli with my buddies. Both work well. I use Beretta (AL391 or A400) because I have had great history with them and I like the reduced recoil. Friends with SBEs and M2s love their's so its kind of personal preference. Both can be adjusted for fit with the shims. Both are known to be extremely reliable. The Beretta feels a little heavier than the Benelli to me but I generally hunt from a boat blind so I am not carrying it. Both are great IMO ... pick what feels best to you.

Hate to say it but I slayed tons of ducks and geese when I lived in KS with an 870 Express that I paid $150 cash for at a gun show in Wichita.

I still have it right next to my 686 Onyx Sporting.

I started with my clays gun. A Benelli Cordoba Supersport, which I still shoot the best and take when it's not going to be horrible conditions. I got the SBE2 because I liked my Supersport, but it never felt the same. I am planning on getting it cerakoted eventually.

Absolutely. I used a 1300 pump from the time I was old enough for a 12g till about 6 or 7 years ago. My dad gave it to me when I moved out at 18.