• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Benelli M1 Super 90 reliablity issues?

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Hey guys, I just acquired a LNIB Benelli M1 Super 90 and I must say that I love it. I went out to shoot it and it was about every 2 or 3 rounds and it would FTE and FTF.

I was shooting new Remington and Winchester 2-3/4, 7-1/2 shot. I will try some heavier stuff, but do Benelli's typically eat everything up, or are they pretty picky eaters?

Re: Benelli M1 Super 90 reliablity issues?

Mine did the same thing when I first got it. Heavier loads ran 100%. After several hundred rounds it started eating the lite stuff. Just keep shooting, it'll break in.

Hmm, Ok, I will give that a shot. The person I got it off of said that It was 100% reliable. I believe him, so there must have been a little ammo variance.

What would you consider to be heavy enough?

Is it a pistol grip model ? The PG guns were kind of picky and worked better with full power ammo . Have 2 straught stocked guns and they both run 100% with 3 dram 1 1/8th ounce Estate's

Is anything attached to the weapon, shell holder, lights, M1's don't like anything attached, also I find mine needs to be hard against my shoulder to work, and Walmart shot gun ammo is downloaded, thats why its cheaper, the same stuff from Cabelas works everytime.

Yep as others have said the pistol grip versions were more picky on light ammo, and anything you add the to gun, side saddle, light, etc. reduces their reliability of the intertia action. It could be that the original owner used it with heavier loads all the time if it's tactical model, or always used heavier hunting loads with it. I've shot a lot of light trap loads out of my M1 28" hunting gun and never had a failure.

Also would not hurt to give it a full cleaning and lube it with a light oil or dry lube, might be some thick old lube in there gumming it up.

any gunsmith worth his salt can figure it out......truly a simple fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any gunsmith worth his salt can figure it out......truly a simple fix.

</div></div>

I would say it's not broken and doesn't need the attention of a smith.

Just stick to heavier loads (1-1/4oz) and don't hang anything on it, as others have already stated and the M1S90 will run great.

Those bulk Walmart 1oz and 1-1/8oz loads are generally too light for 100% functioning. Those don't even function in my 1187P.

Mine would not run unless I shot the hot stuff. Low brass cheapo was a no-go.

Don't think that i could <span style="font-weight: bold">"love it"</span> if "....<span style="font-weight: bold">"about every 2 or 3 rounds and it would FTE and FTF." </span>

Hope it works out for you.

Keith