• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Benelli M1 Super 90 reliablity problems

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
I have Benelli M1 Super 90 12 Ga that does not seem to function with anything less than 3 1/4 Dram loads. I'm getting FTE, FTF I might be new to the Benelli Semi auto game, but this does not seem right. I think it should function with just about any 12 Ga load for the most part. I took the shell saddle off on the left side and the cross bolt is still in the, I dont have the original trigger group pin. The bolt is not torqued down too tight, just enough to stay.

Any Ideas? I have tried Winchester, Remington, Federal bulk ammo and nothing seems to work out well.

Re: Benelli M1 Super 90 reliablity problems

That sounds about right. The Benelli M1S90 is a recoil operated shotgun. Generally they need about a 1-1/4oz field load to operate reliably (all slug loads are OK). Once they break-in some are reliable with 1-1/8oz loads.

You stated you had a sidesaddle; that is going to have an effect on the reliability since you are increasing the mass of the weapon. Generally the less stuff you hang off the gun, the more reliable it's going to be.

In my experience None of the Walmart bulk 1oz ammo will be reliable in it.

I currently have a Benelli SBE (Gen 1) that I traded a M1 Super 90 for a while back. Both shotguns function(ed) flawlessly with as light as 7/8 oz loads. In both of them I've never had a malfunction of any kind. I'm certainly not calling y'all liars...guess I just got one made by Benelli's "Employee of the Month".

yeah, that is the thing, I have heard of alot of people that have them and they function flawlessly. Why does mine not? Maybe I just need to put a couple hundred rounds though it to "break it in" We will see.

My benelli will take almost anytype of ammo.. Never had a problem so far with it.. Love it like my first born

Handgunner,

Is your M1S90 a new model or an older model. I have seen two different "tails" on the Benelli bolts. The H&K marked one had a tail that was signifcantly heavier than a newer model.

If it's new, you need to let it eat. Reliability problems should go away if fed a healthy diet initially.

Benelli M1, M2, SBE etc. are inertia operated, not recoil operated. Recoil alone won't operate the action.

Be sure to have the butt firmly against your shoulder. If it is not, the bolt will have no inertia relative to the rest of the gun in order to operate effectively much less at all.

Also if it has the pistol grip stock they are usually more picky about running with light loads. I have a 28" hunter model and it runs light trap loads fine, but I have seen short barreled M1's with the pistol grip that would not, same is true no doubt as you have already read that putting extra weight on them effects things (side saddle etc).

I would tear it down, especially if its new, clean any old oil/grease/gunk out of it and lube it with light oil. Then I'd take it to the range and put a good # of shells through it, sometimes a little break in can do wonders.

Also keep in mind that some of the cheap 100 round packs of "3 1/4" bulk ammo might be loaded a little softer than the box would indicate, this is especially true if they are 7/8oz or 1oz loads. You might try buying a couple good boxes of win/fed etc. 3 1/4, 1 1/8oz loads and see how it does, like AA etc.

Benelli used to offer a 'light load' recoil spring assembly for the S90. I just checked Brownell's and they show it as N/A. I have used it in the past to make customers guns run with light loads. You may want to phone Benelli USA see if the kit is still available from them. If not ask them if they use the same spring in their field guns if not get a field spring from Brownells. ToddM is right on, the PG's seem to have the problem not the straight stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benelli used to offer a 'light load' recoil spring assembly for the S90. I just checked Brownell's and they show it as N/A. I have used it in the past to make customers guns run with light loads. You may want to phone Benelli USA see if the kit is still available from them. If not ask them if they use the same spring in their field guns if not get a field spring from Brownells. ToddM is right on, the PG's seem to have the problem not the straight stocks.</div></div>

they do offer it, it is the same poundage that the field models use, most of the FTF and FTE issues are with guns that have the pistol grip stocks

I had the same issue with an HK M3...turned out to be a lubrication issue (switched to Rem-Oil and it started to feed fine in cold weather).

Pat

R U new to Benelli's, I find my HK M1S90 will cycle everytime if I hold it firm and steady, not letting the recoil drive me back, and it will not cycle with Walmart Ammo, the same stuff from Cabelas works everytime, Walmart ammo is downloaded, thats why its cheaper, if all else fails take the recoil tube out and clean it, you will have to take a torch to break the locktite.

Guys, thanks for all the help. I will check Brownells, I actually replaced the Inertia spring and I took some measurements. The new one was a about .002-.003 longer than the old one. I think with this new spring and maybe putting 100 or so rounds down range, this could help. Again, thanks for the help. It is a Pistol Grip model.

Here I am with my buddy Jon, I'm carrying my M1 and he has my HK FP6. It still did not work correctly this day at the range. I'm definitely holding it nice and tight in the shoulder.

2581_60596880876_640810876_2021198_.jpg

I don't know if you tried this but, try cleaning the bore with a brass brush. Some lubricant from the factory gets hardened and makes feeding difficult. You can't see it by looking down the barrel but it's there if you don't take time to clean.

Second run a box or two of heavy full power loads. Light loads don't seem to work as well. Seems to help the SBE get broken in when they have problems out of the box.

Lastly clean up the recoil tube(?). The tube that holds the recoil spring. Gunk gets stuck in there also.

If these don't work send it back to Benelli to fix. Those suggestions seem to work for most problems with Benelli. Just to add, mine has worked 100% with all loads. Including the cheap stuff from Walmart.

I just bought some 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot 3 1/4 dram 1oz boxes. I will try to shoot these and see if they work. I will also try what you mentioned Mike128. Thanks again for the help guys.

I bought the Benelli M1, after I heard of all the great talk. And I had a Benelli that would shoot nothing but full power loads.

Nothing even the slightest less than full power would cycle.

I pasted my question up, many years ago and was told to put my shoulder into it, take off the side saddle and light, , shoot 500 full power rounds, etc, but it still wouldn't shoot.

My cousin's on the other hand shot everything. Even light loads.

So, I gave up on Benelli's and got the reliable 870 and 1100, which cycled flawlessly.

THEN, the M4 came out. There was talk about the military taking it on, and that it had self cleaning, dual gas pistons, so I chanced it.

This time I got a realabe cycling Benelli that I can have a light on and side saddle, and it shoot heavy loads and sometimes shoot the slightly less heavy, but nothing light.

Im happy with my B. finally.

I did remove both the gas pistons and have them chrome plated. The originals were black, and now the grey of mine show where the crud is to clean.

I think you have a bad one. I sold mine and got into the Benelli game later. Maybe you should do that for peace of mind.

OTOH....

The Remington 1100 worked flawlessly for me.

I was thinking about the 11-87 also, and my buddy has one that is doing the same thing. IT will cycle with 3" shells and the heavy stuff, but any kind of 2 3/4" stuff typically wont work. I'm going to shoot it on Wednesday after trying most of the things mentioned on this thread. Hopefully it will work. I'm not the original owner, would this be a problem if I call Benelli and tell them my story?

At some point one also has to consider the purpose of these guns. I'm pretty sure the military/law enforcement is not shooing any super light 1oz loads. My home defense loads certainly would not be light 1oz loads, unless it's a 1oz rifled slug and that won't be a light charge load.

No matter if it's recoil or intertia operated or gas/recoil or gas operated if the gun functions with super light loads it's going to take more wear/tear when it fires heavy loads so certainly for a tactical gun that's designed to at least fire 2 3/4" heavy loads as it's standard load making it function with super soft trap loads isn't really a priority and counter productive to the weapons long term durability for it's intended purpose.

As to the OP if your friends 11-87 won't function with anything short of a 3" magnum, if it won't run with 2 3/4" magnum loads or even heavy 1 1/4oz field loads it has a problem, send it back or get it to a smith.

The real problem IMO isn't that these tactical combat shotguns won't function with 1oz light loads. It's that 3 gun competitions allow the use of completely unrealistic ammunition that combat shotguns were never designed or intended to function reliably with. It's like shooting blanks in your .308 AR and wondering why they don't function reliably.

Which is probably why the guys that shoot a lot of 3 gun send their guns to smith's that specialize in getting them to shoot with super light loads. If you pull your benelli down 100% clean everything, make sure there are no burrs anywhere, relube sparingly with a very light oil or dry lube and if it still won't run reasonable loads (1oz loads are NOT reasonable) get a 1350fps 1 1/8oz load at the minimum. Then send it back to benelli or to a smith that it's experienced dealing with them.