• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Benelli M2 Question - 3-gun? Value?

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Okay, have a buddy that has an M2, what's the value of this thing. It comes as seen, side saddle, tube extension, some goofy laser and flashlight that I put no value on at all. Negative item is that it's missing part of the rear sight, who knows what Benelli will charge for this piece (probably a fortune).

Would this make a good 3-gun/tactical competition shotgun??

Here are some pics.... is it worth $1k??

Thanks.......

Re: Benelli M2 Question - 3-gun? Value?

Well heck yea (it will make a great three gun, gun).

Personally, I would say $1k is stretching it....maybe $800 would be a good deal on a used with a broken sight IMHO.

HOWEVER, if you get a chance to run it that would be preferred. Those freeking plastic shotshell holders get over tourqued, pinch the receiver and then the damn thing will never run right. If you buy it look into three gun gear as sold by Dillon.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well heck yea (it will make a great three gun, gun).

Personally, I would say $1k is stretching it....maybe $800 would be a good deal on a used with a broken sight IMHO.

HOWEVER, if you get a chance to run it that would be preferred. Those freeking plastic shotshell holders get over tourqued, pinch the receiver and then the damn thing will never run right. If you buy it look into three gun gear as sold by Dillon.

Good luck.</div></div>

I agree with HiCapMag. Price at $800 becuase they go for $1200 new. Maybe can find a deal for around $1050 but usually between those prices.

I also read that Benelli is used alot in 3 gun shoots but not sure which models exactly.

I plan to buy myself an M2 in about one month and can't wait!

You really need the 21" field barrel as stated by Adam. The ghost ring rear sight obscures your vision for quick transitions. You'll want a Ruger 10-22 flip up rear sight dove tailed into the vent rib. Loose the pistol grip stock while your at it. Having said all this you'll have more in this one to make it work than a new one. I'd look for a M1 with the right barrel and stock for around 700 to 800.

I guess its a personal preference thing, but I have the Ghost rings on my M3 and like it that way. I did add a fiber optic up front to help with the faster transitions.... got it from Shooters Connection but cannot remember the brand. The Ghost Rings work great on precision shots with slugs. I do have to agree on the pistol grip stock though.
YMMV.

I bought my M2 used for $750 in near new condition. +1 on geting rid of the side saddle and IMHO lose the sight and go to the flip up rear standard front. You'll have much more versatility. Save the money you would put into fixing the sight and get a 21" barrel. Picked up a spare barrel for mine at $405 shipped. Best semi-auto SGN you can own though!!!!!!

Maybe I'll just pickup an 1100 Tac-4 (gasp)

They're no Benelli, but they look ready to go, just have to maintain them a bit more I'm sure.

the 1100 is a softer shooter and less picky with ammo, at least that is what I have seen, I also opened up my gas ports to run the real light stuff

Yep. I have the 1100 Comp Master (no longer made, but the 1100 Tactical is the same thing), and it is far better than the Benelli it replaced as far as ammo.

My 1100 will run all but the value pack stuff at Wal*Mart without a hitch.

Hah!! I thought I'd get flamed for suggesting the 1100....just the opposite, glad to know the truth, I may pick one up now. New I can get one for about $780.

I've got an email into a guy about an M1 Benelli too, we'll see what comes of it.

Thanks!

For three gun the vast majority of the targets require good pointability and fast transitions...things where a vent rib barrel excels.

Either a 21" or 24" vent rib are far more well suited to 3 Gun. What flavor of gun you choose is not so important. Plenty of guys running winchester/FN SLP, remmys, berettas, benellis etc. but very few ghost rings and not a single fast guys is running them.

Also the addition of a pistol again slows down that movement...

You think a pistol grip is slower? My 1100 doesn't have one but I've thought of adding it many times. I thought it'd make for much more control than the standard sport style stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep. I have the 1100 Comp Master (no longer made, but the 1100 Tactical is the same thing), and it is far better than the Benelli it replaced as far as ammo.

My 1100 will run all but the value pack stuff at Wal*Mart without a hitch. </div></div>

Funny, my Benelli runs the Walmart special stuff just fine
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You think a pistol grip is slower? My 1100 doesn't have one but I've thought of adding it many times. I thought it'd make for much more control than the standard sport style stock.</div></div>

In many cases I know a pistol grip is slower. Many guys like the "feeling" of extra control that a pistol grip offers but if you put them on the clock they are faster with a tradition shotgun stock than a PG (all other things being equal)..also particularly with the benelli's the pistol grip can induce malfunctions when the users put enough torgue on the pg to cause the recoil spring to bind in the tube.

If you want to run a pistol grip I don't have any problem with it. But I do know that there are damn near zero of the fast guys (Kurt Miller, Benny Hill, Michael Voight, Jerry Miculek, Dave Neth, Matt Burkett, Daniel Horner etc. etc.) who run a pg. At the world championships not a single guy in the top 10 ran a pg.....ymmv

Here is a thread discussin pg's

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53859&hl=benelli+pistol+grip

Very good gun as a matter of fact I ran a Winchester Tactical MKI (same gun) for a couple of years in limited. Daniel Horner (USAMU) runs one now and he is about as fast as you get with a shotgun. Ready to rock right out of the box.

Here Daniel is shooting a stage at DPMS last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3PgHO21S98

I've also heard very good things about the SLP. Since my 1100 was stolen, I'll probably try to pick one up when I get ready for another shotgun.

OK...I have this gun and somebody has to be the wet blanket here...its a great gun but if its not preban the one in the picture might cost you a 5 year look in club fed inasmuch as its got the extended tube added with the pistol grip stock configuration. If its preban its fine and worth $1500 because you can legally add the extended tube. If its not its worth $750-950 and you have to take the tube off (or switch to a stock without a pistol grip), especially if there's a chance you'll use it in self defense...and "No" that law did NOT expire nor sunset with the the Assault Weapons Ban. Same goes for the M4.

Riverguide you have a link or legal code reference # where I can read the actual law on that? I wasn't aware of any such restriction since the AWB went away provided you lived in a non-communist state

Sure...it'll take me a few hours. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have a former ATF ASAC on my staff. You would be surprised how many people make this mistake (including me when I bought my M2 and the Benelli dealer put the extended tube on it for me at the shop at time of purchase). I have the M4 as well and discovered the problem when I went to put an extended tube on it. The sad thing is that you can do anything you want to an american made shotgun and you can only modify a preban Benelli...which means that only current LEO can modify the M4.

Even just a name or enough information that I can google it. Been looking for a few minutes and haven't been able to find anything. I'm looking into buying one of these right now and would like to know where I stand

922 (r)
The Imported Parts Law(1990)
178.39 otherwise known as 922(r) 10 Foreign parts law on semiauto Rifles & Shotguns
http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr178.html
Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.
(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution
by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof;

and Not speaking in terms of 922r, but the federal GCA of 1968 continues to mandate for non-assault weapons a fixed magazine capacity less than, or equal to five rounds.

The Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618

(30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means --

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of --
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

By the way, local ATF offices are woefully ignorant about this and I got a lot of misinformation at first and suffice it to say that this wasn't a prosecutorial or investigative priority for ATF or DOJ for the last 8 years or at least since the expiration of the ban (which resulted in vicarious confusion over this issue) but times have changed and most importantly if you sell this gun you have compounded the problem and if you use it in self defense you have opened a new legal sideshow in addition to whether of not the shooting was justified and that sideshow could get very very expensive...

yea...I've seen that letter but the law is clear...unfortunately and the bottom line is this: Who wants to spend $$$$$$$$$$$ screwing with this during one of the worst moments of your life or when your whackjob girlfriend gets a restraining order and you have to temporarily turn your guns over in some states or if you get your gun stolen and its recovered and inventoried and examined or if you're at the range and some leo with an attitude decides to give you a bad day or whatever...the point is that a lot of things could happen and if they did it would be a bad day for a non-leo individual.

so basically the weapon listed here would be legal provided it had no more than 10 of the identified imported parts installed. Obviously you'd have to have some documentation or markings on the parts to verify that. But the restricting factor is the imported nature of the parts not the fact that the weapon has a capacity of more than 5 rounds.

So if for instance the forearm/handguard and magazine body were documented US manufactured aftermarket parts then the weapon would be legal as it would then only contain 9 imported parts from the list

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riverguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea...I've seen that letter but the law is clear...unfortunately nad the bottom line is this: Who wants to spend $$$$$$$$$$$ screwing with this during one of the worst moments of your life or when your whackjob girlfriend gets a restraining order and you have to temporarily turn your guns over in some states or if you get your gun stolen and its recevered and inventoried and examined or if you're at the range and some leo with an attitude decides to give you a bad day or whatever...the point is that a lot of things could happen and if they did it would be a bad day for a non-leo individual. </div></div>

Only real issue I might run into where I live is the stolen/recovered part and even then it would be pretty unlikely. Thank god I live in Texas. Yes it might come up if I used the weapon in self defense but assuming I had the relevant documentation I again don't think it would be much of an issue in Texas as the self-defense doctrine is pretty well respected down here.

Thanks for taking the time to look up the code for me, I wasn't aware of the issue at all before this thread

riverguide, thanks for the info, I agree with you as I've heard that as well.

There's a very good chance that this shotgun is preban, he's had it a very long time and bought it used when he got it.

So, next question, anyone know where I can find the serial number list with dates of Benellis.

And what date does it technically have to be made before?? 1994 or something like that?

Now that is a question I'd like to have the answer to concerning the serial #s but my guess is that that gun in the pic is post ban...sorry. I never like to stand between any man and the gun he wants.

I'm over it....I found an FN SLP 22" one that I was looking for.

The shotgun above does does H&K, Sterling VA, Made in Italy on it if that helps at all. Not sure if the fact that it was imported by H&K helps the dating.

I'll call Benelli and tell you what I find out.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You think a pistol grip is slower? My 1100 doesn't have one but I've thought of adding it many times. I thought it'd make for much more control than the standard sport style stock.</div></div>

In many cases I know a pistol grip is slower. Many guys like the "feeling" of extra control that a pistol grip offers but if you put them on the clock they are faster with a tradition shotgun stock than a PG (all other things being equal)..also particularly with the benelli's the pistol grip can induce malfunctions when the users put enough torgue on the pg to cause the recoil spring to bind in the tube.

If you want to run a pistol grip I don't have any problem with it. But I do know that there are damn near zero of the fast guys (Kurt Miller, Benny Hill, Michael Voight, Jerry Miculek, Dave Neth, Matt Burkett, Daniel Horner etc. etc.) who run a pg. At the world championships not a single guy in the top 10 ran a pg.....ymmv

Here is a thread discussin pg's

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53859&hl=benelli+pistol+grip
</div></div>

That's an interesting thought.

Like I said earlier in this post, I run an 1100. Of course, it came with a conventional, sport style stock, and I've always thought that it'd be much faster with a PG.

I know that I'm slow as hell with a shotty anyway, so I'll never be at the top with the guys you mentioned...but it's an interesting thought that none of them use a pistol grip.

I have a M1S90 and tried the PG. While it's comfortable and feels like I have more control my times suffered. I'm slow enough with a shotgun already so I switched back. Another problem I had was the PG was in the way when I reloaded from a weak side arm band.

I have only shot about 3 comps where I've actually used my shotty.

I'm slow as hell reloading (need to get the EZ loader) but I did do quite well (got 2nd out of 30 or so people IIRC) in the shotgun section on at least one.

Maybe i'll just try to become better friends with my 1100 as it is.