• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Benelli M2 vs beretta 1301

Do you guys geth the Benelli M2 SP in the USA? It would be a tossup for me between the M2SP and the 1301 Comp.

I'd vote Benelli. I really like Beretta's O/Us but their autos have left a lot to be desired over the years. Benellis are hell and back reliable in my experience.

Reactions: MarinePMI
It's inertia operated Benelli vs gas operated Beretta. Give me the M2. I currently shoot an M1 for quail and all auto shotgun desired activities. Inertia system eats everything.

I used both for 3 gun. My m2 didnt cycle light loads (1oz 1200fps) and slugs were no where near aiming point. The slug thing is really annoying how people just accept the fact you need to bend the barrel or put in a rear sight. It was incredibly reliable with the right ammo, has less parts, and didnt need cleaned as often compared to the has beretta. In the end it got sold and I kept the 1301 simply because I shot it better. For about 2 seasons of 3 gun, a buddy and I shared it because he was always dealing with his broken FP SLP or Stoeger M3K and the 1301 never had a failure.

You can fix an M2 to get rid of its quirks (except cycling really light loads). Both are incredibly reliable and made by people who know shotguns. Theres is no right answer. Choose whichever you shoot best.

I love my M2 and have never owned a 1301. Over the course of a few thousand various rounds it failed to cycle one time. That was after I Dremeled some metal from the loading port the night before a match and didn't bother to clean the metal shavings out. Dumbass, I know, but it was late. A buddy had some oil in a spray can, and it ran fine for the rest of the day after being sprayed even though it was still filthy and gritty. Obviously, I cleaned it when I got home and have been a little more careful with cleaning since then. As in "very" little. But it runs great.

The slug poi/poa thing is real, but I solved it by putting in a different choke. IC and the slugs are off to the left and high. Modified and everything's good.

It wasn't intended to be a hd gun, but now I find it comforting to have a 24" M2 loaded with 10 rounds of 00 buckshot stashed in a clever position. Especially one that's so familiar from playing games with it.

Ive heard about the slug poa/poi issue with the M2. Is this an issue with all M2s? Really stuck between this and a 1301

Beretta 1301 hands down. I spent years on the quest for the best duty shotgun back when I worked for a shotgun only department. Since I couldn’t have a patrol rifle, I wanted the best shotgun available. I had a Benelli M2. It was temperamental with light loads. But the biggest problem was slug shooting. At 25 yards it wouldn’t keep slugs in the “A” zone. At 50 yards it could barely keep them on a Full size IPSC. Buckshot patterns weren’t great either. To compare, I could shoot the same ammo in an old 870 with 18” barrel and it would hold a 5-6” group at 50 yards.

I sold it and got a 1301. Best choice ever. It shoots buckshot well, but with those same Winchester LE 1oz slugs- at 50 yards, 5 shots would be just one ragged hole. I ran that gun through a 5 day shotgun instructor course and used it on duty for a couple years until we finally got patrol rifles.

Also- I bought a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 years back exclusively for duck/goose hunting. I’ve shot thousands of rounds of 3” and 3.5” steel loads through it. However, I started having malfunctions after a few seasons. Replaced extractor, extractor spring, recoil spring, firing pin spring, ejector plate and spring. None of these completely fixed the problem. It’s been to Canada twice. When you go hunting up there you can shoot a case (250 3” steel shot) or more every day for a week. I made do with it, but I became really good at malfunction clearing. Literally every part of the internals that can be replaced, has been and malfunctions continue. It’s on its 4th recoil spring.

Contrast that to my two hunting partners who use Beretta A400s. They shoot the same ammo, on roughly the same firing schedule, including those two Canada trips. I’ve yet to see either one of those guns malfunction. I purchased my own A400 2 years ago and leave the SBE2 as a backup only.

I guess I never really answered the OP’s question. 1 gun for all those uses? I’d go with a Beretta 1301 Comp. Probably 24”. They make a 21” too, but for clays and hunting I’d want the longer barrel, then just make do with the length for 3 gun. If it was mainly for 3 gun, then go 21” and just make do for hunting.

Reactions: drcarr1 and D_TROS
I have a 24" for 3 gun. I run a tube that holds 12 so either a 21 or 24 is shorter than the extension. The only difference is sight radius.

Thank you all. I think the new comp pro may be for me. Seems I would need to put in some smithing to make a m2 performance similar to a 1301. Not that I mind spending money on something worthwhile, but I don't like just throwing it away

Contrast that to my two hunting partners who use Beretta A400s. They shoot the same ammo, on roughly the same firing schedule, including those two Canada trips. I’ve yet to see either one of those guns malfunction. I purchased my own A400 2 years ago and leave the SBE2 as a backup only.

Exact opposite for my duck hunting bunch. Beretta definitely makes a more comfortable gun to shoot but SBEs rule our blinds. I'm still shooting my SBE1 after 23 years and have only changed magazne and mainsprings to stainless at about 18 years service. I hunt a lot but the volume you quoted is wow....now that is getting it done a case a day. I go through a case a season for ducks. Several hundred more rounds a season for doves, turkey and clays. For us the Berettas don't handle swamp shooting and muck and ironically the ejector springs and ejectors fail. All anecdotal though because overall I think both make fine guns depending on use.

Last edited:
Exact opposite for my duck hunting bunch. Beretta definitely makes a more comfortable gun to shoot but SBEs rule our blinds. I'm still shooting my SBE1 after 23 years and have only changed magazne and mainsprings to stainless at about 18 years service. I hunt a lot but the volume you quoted is wow....now that is getting it done a case a day. I go through a case a season for ducks. Several hundred more rounds a season for doves, turkey and clays. For us the Berettas don't handle swamp shooting and muck and ironically the ejector springs and ejectors fail. All anecdotal though because overall I think both make fine guns depending on use.
I by no means think the SBE is not a good gun, they certainly are. When you can shoot all day long and hunt about a dozen species- you can rack up quite the bird count. When wave after wave of snow geese fly over for hours- you can wear yourself out pretty quick.

1301. The blink system is flawless. It's nice never needing to clean with gas gun recoil.

The 1301 is a superior gun in every way. Beretta's gas system is and has ALWAYS been more reliable than any inertia system. People just need to understand this.

The pinnicale of Benelli reliability, the M4 is wait for it...…………….a gas system.

A Benelli Gas gun will always be more reliable, weight less, and have less recoil.

There is no 1 gun that does everything. You could setup a 3 gun shotgun that would work well for hunting with Slugs. Conversely you could have a bird hunting/clays gun setup. Really should have specific tools for each job.

If you could only have one shotgun, Look for a used Beretta A303/390/391 with a 28" or longer barrel and then get a 21 or 24" short barrel. That will cover all your bases and should be less than $800 or so. Stick with Mobil Chokes which are cheap and plentifull (and don't crack like the Optima HP).

For a new gun, pick up a A300 for $600ish. Some other good used options are the Browning Gold/Silver & Winchester SX2.

Reactions: drcarr1
I'd vote Benelli. I really like Beretta's O/Us but their autos have left a lot to be desired over the years. Benellis are hell and back reliable in my experience.

That's interesting considering Beretta semi autos have been the gold standard in the competition world for the last 30 years. As in 90%+ of ALL shooters shooting a semi auto, is shooting a Beretta in competition.

Now that I'm an old codger I'd like to know which has lighter recoil. Basically for home.

So I have a 1301 and an M4. I have had the M4 for about 4 years. The 1301 for about a month. I would take the 1301. The recoil is considerably less. It has the fastest cyclic rate. Also the controls, are in my opinion exactly where they should be and the trigger pull is way better. I really like the it over my M4

Speaking of recoil - anyone tried the 1301 Comp Pro with the Kick-Off Plus recoil reducing stock? I was considering the standard Comp but the Comp pro looks pretty intriguing if true street price difference isn't too bad.

So I have a 1301 and an M4. I have had the M4 for about 4 years. The 1301 for about a month. I would take the 1301. The recoil is considerably less. It has the fastest cyclic rate. Also the controls, are in my opinion exactly where they should be and the trigger pull is way better. I really like the it over my M4

I have both as well, the M4 will be going up for sale soon. ;)

The M4 is a gas gun, like the Beretta. Funny how that works right? A company who exclusively makes inertia guns had to borrow from their sister company a gas system to meet reliability and durability specs.

The 1301 is the best modern "fighting" shotgun. Not that a shotgun should be used for anything other than breaching but that's a whole different topic.

Would I be correct in thinking that the 1301 does not have any part of its mechanism extending into the stock?

Would I be correct in thinking that the 1301 does not have any part of its mechanism extending into the stock?

Correct. There is an adapter that allows you to swap in magpul stocks for a shorter length of pull, etc.

attachment.php

Reactions: geek65
Correct. There is an adapter that allows you to swap in magpul stocks for a shorter length of pull, etc.

attachment.php
I'm thinking a Mesa Tactical stock and a XLR folding adapter would be pretty nice. As far as I know, it wouldn't be possible with a Benelli.

Reactions: Davo308
I've got a 1301 comp pro 24". I set it up for 3 gun with a 12 rd tube. It has run every round I have run through it. It is super soft with 7.5 1145 fps federal gun club and prints about 4 inches at 100 with slugs about 3 inches low left of poa. A buddy has a 1301 comp and the pro is noticeably softer with the kick off stock. The lifter hold is a cool feature too it works as advertised. I still need to open the loading port a touch though.

I would pick the Benelli as my first but the comp is a really nice gun too. I had a pre-production 1301 tac to demo for some time and beat the living shit out of it. It was great but the Benelli is slightly better in all respects but price. I however, much prefer the comp over the tac versions

I've got a 1301 comp pro 24". I set it up for 3 gun with a 12 rd tube. It has run every round I have run through it. It is super soft with 7.5 1145 fps federal gun club and prints about 4 inches at 100 with slugs about 3 inches low left of poa. A buddy has a 1301 comp and the pro is noticeably softer with the kick off stock. The lifter hold is a cool feature too it works as advertised. I still need to open the loading port a touch though.
Have you shot both the comp & comp pro? I was about to get a Comp but stuck debating whether the Pro is worth the extra cost. Also waiting to see if another ~$1250 deal shows up on the Comp Pro.

The have shot both and the pro is noticeably softer and it feels faster, probably because it a bit softer.

The have shot both and the pro is noticeably softer and it feels faster, probably because it a bit softer.
I was also curious on the loading port differences and the bolt release changes. Seems the Comp is still the old version and Comp Pro is re-done.

The port is different, but to me doesn't matter since it still needs opened. One day someone will make a shotgun with a port that doesn't need opened. The bolt handle i don't remember same with the bolt release. Not sure when he got his comp though.

My experience is that the Beretta gas system mitigate recoil extremely well while still not making the gun dirty.

That being said the M2 blows all the crap right out of the barrel, but doesn't do as smooth a job with recoil.

Reactions: FjallJager
Was looking at buying a M2 because I’ve shot, carried and used a M1 for 25 years. Then I saw the 1301 comp and was on the fence but said no. Now I saw the 1301 Comp Pro and it has me considering leaving the Benelli for Beretta.

I owned an m2 13 years ago shot clays with it and had 2nd rifled slug barrel with a 1913 rail and a scope. 3rd barrel was a short barrel with sights rifled

Most of the time recoil was like a pump gun. Had the comfort tech stock and the pistol grip stock. Recoil with the pistol grip stock was horrible on high volume training sessions. Especially with buckshot and slug

Moved overseas and sold it.

Been retired 8 years and haven’t owned a semiautomatic shotgun yet. If i was doing it again I would not own the pistol grip stock. Everything else is legit.

Was looking at buying a M2 because I’ve shot, carried and used a M1 for 25 years. Then I saw the 1301 comp and was on the fence but said no. Now I saw the 1301 Comp Pro and it has me considering leaving the Benelli for Beretta.
Well the really funny part is Benneli definitely designed the 1301 for Beretta.

Last edited:
I loved my 24" 1301, crazy light recoil and fast. I've since moved down to a A300. If I start shooting shotgun more, another 1301 for sure.