• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benelli M4 or Mossberg 590

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hope it's OK to post in the rifles section.

Hiders,

I got one of each, if I can only keep one, which one? I've had good luck with Mossbergs most of my life, but I read on another forum they make good boat anchors. I have the A1 model.

The Benelli is sweet, but I had an M1 before and I didn't like it, its manual of arms was a bit complex, while the Mossberg was instinctive. Both scatterguns have military connections.

Is the M4 that good and/or the Mossberg 590 that bad?

Thanks for your comments.

Scott

Re: Benelli M4 or Mossberg 590

Scott,
Get rid of the boat anchor.I've been around a couple that would not eject properly and then get jammed up with the next round that's fed.So much for pumps being perfectly reliable.

Yes,the Benelli's are that good.I've been around quite a few and never seen a problem with them.

Steve

Keep the Benelli- its my firm belief that the Mossberg WILL let you down at some point, maybe when you least expect it. I'll never again own anything made by mossberg...

D

+1 on the Benelli,

They are lightning fast and very reliable.

Food for thought though. My M1 that I used to have did not like the Hornady TAP buckshot. Just would not eject them.

Not enough uumph

Scott,

I'll probably be the only one who says there's nothing wrong with a Mossberg, but oh well. Is it a Benelli? Not even close, but that's like comparing a Vega to a Corvette.

My folks bought me a Mossberg and a Mec Jr in the early 80's and that gun has NEVER jammed or broke. When my brother got old enough I passed it down to him and that thing will shoot anything you stuff in it.

I remember when the Benelli Super Black Eagle came out and was able to put them through some serious abuse. (Had the good fortune of being friends with the only HK dealer in my area who was importing them at that time.) The Benelli, after some pretty hardcore use was breaking extractors and they were hard to come by. I told everyone I knew that bought one to order a new extractor ahead of time so they would at least have a back-up during duck season.

I haven't been around the gun seen for a very long time, and I'm guessing they have resolved that issue sense then??? I don't know.

If you could use a little extra money, I would'nt worry about selling the Benelli because you CAN depend on the ole cheap Mossberg. I trust them enough to have one in my office and one next to my bed.

If you can keep them both, do it, there both great guns.

-Pat

M4 = Premier heritage

590 = Super Sniper

M4 all the way!

I have both and like both, if I Had to choose one I would take the Benelli M4. I was worried the Benelli would not eat the cheap Federal Walmart bulk, but I ran over 200rnds through it without any problem at all. I very happy with it and its a kick in the ass to shoot!

I have the Benelli and two 590A1's(14" & 18"). Used a 500 for 10 years while on duty and it never failed. Both 590A1's have VanComp modifications to the barrel and his over size safety. The pattern with the Vangcomp is fantastic. Nice thing with the Mossberg is where the safety is..very natural right or left handed and a pump will use whatever ammo you put in it. Both have been 100% reliable. The Benelli, an Entry Model, is a great gun but has been finicky with function and some ammo, very nice to shoot...

Sold my HK M1 about 2 years ago. Worst mistake I ever made, wish I had it back.
I was issued a Mossberg at the agency I used to work for, it always worked.... kinda like crackin a fat chick..it's all good till your friends see ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M4 = Premier heritage

590 = Super Sniper

M4 all the way! </div></div>

LOL!!!! Putting it in an optics context so even I could understand. Man you guys are good! Hahahahaaaaaaaaa
laugh.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have an old 500 ATP-8 that has been Z-coated and been to hell and back and never let me down, dual extractors, a fixed ejector, easy controls. The 590, when new, failed to feed the last round in the mag many times, turns out the mag spring was weak, Mossberg relaced it no charge and now works great.

I had an M1 that was finicky, but the M4 has the ARGO and that would seem to be a help.

Again, one of the things that makes this a great place is an optics vendor/geek can wade in here and ask a serious question and get awesome feedback, including the humor.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, Saiga 12 ga. and 20 or 30 rnd drum, now thats more like a Premier 5-25. </div></div>

Don't forget to get the SBR paperwork for the Saiga 12 and the 8.5 inch barrel.

Honestly, Keep the M4. It will feed everything the 590 will without the extra effort.

+1 on the Benelli, I've had experience with both Benelli and Mossberg. I've yet to be let down by the Benelli, now the Mossberg is another story.

M4 is a semi, and the 590 is a pump.

I would go Benelli, but instead of the M4, a SBE or Nova depending on if you want a pump or an auto.

I would sale the M4 and the 590A1 and buy a Mossberg 930SPX or a Saiga 12. The Benelli is a nice shotgun but way overprice in my opinion.

I like the 18.5" barrel 590A1 shotguns better. The 20" barrel 590A1 is too heavy

GC

I've had an M4 for about 3 years now and absolutely love it. I have shot everything from the cheap Walmart trap loads to OOObuck through it without and problems. And yes, with a full choke and #4 buck you can kill a cat from the highway to the right-of-way fence.

You do drive-bys on cats. I wouldn't confess that.

GC

well this is an apples and oranges again and i dont think the 590's get proper street cred here. but if monetys no object id buy the m4. however id never feel under gunned with a 590 either. it really is vega corvette but either will get you to tucscon its just which will make you look cool when u get there.

I'm a huge Benelli fan now. I've had a Supernova tactical and an M2 tactical and I haven't a single problem out of either shotty, even with the cheap ammo from Walmart.

Couldn't find an M4 when I bought the M2 but I'm still quite happy!

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well this is an apples and oranges again and i dont think the 590's get proper street cred here. but if monetys no object id buy the m4. however id never feel under gunned with a 590 either. it really is vega corvette but either will get you to tucscon its just which will make you look cool when u get there. </div></div>

This about sums it up... If it won't see hardcore use.. I'd go with the 590. Sell the M4 and recoupe that money for better items. I picked up a 20" 590, decked it out and it's still under half the cost of the M4.

I have a 590A1 been through a combat shotgun class and other classes requiring a shotgun, has never let me down... pattents buck shot very nice, slug groups are tight. If you are running your pump right it is just as fast as a semi... provided your aquiring a proper sight alignment and sight picture... if your just pulling the trigger as fast as you can, then no a pump isnt faster.

Never used a M4... i will never use a shotgun with a pistol grip again... after 1st day shotgun class, everyone that had a pistol grip and could go back to a normal stock did. And the guys that didnt wish they could...

Specter 3 point Sling, Stock Shell carrier and you are good to go... forend lights are heavy and make for sloppy tiring reloads... but it can get done.

my 590A1-8+1 and ghost rings, cant go wrong with that... makes slug shots insanely easy...

Just to add, there is nothing that M4 can do that a 590 can't ... keep your shotgun simple ... and if you are wearing body armor ( which you should when you recieve training or are training ) especially the full plate carriers etc... get a 12" LOP stock... regular stock is 14"... either chop yours down or get an aftermarket

i have a 590 which recently failed me, the safety is all messed up and will switch half on causing FTFs.
and to think i would have trusted it with my and my familys life

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4th Seal, thank you. What about the pistol grip is problematic?

I have shot my 590, have not shot the M4 yet. It's still new.

Scott
</div></div>

If he is referring to the pistol grip with no stock..cruiser style, They are brutal. That's how I purchased mine. I quickly installed a Mesa Tactical stock adapter and a Command Arms CBS stock, which I highly recommend if you stick with the 590.

look at the moss 930 mine cycles 3/4 oz (not a misprint) loads, thru 3" steel loads -- pistol grips are a real pain with the top tang safety, Benelli/Berettas are great also if you want to go the bucks. Check out the stoeger m2000 same gun as the benellis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0317hopeful</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a 590 which recently failed me, the safety is all messed up and will switch half on causing FTFs.
and to think i would have trusted it with my and my familys life </div></div>

anything mechanical can fail or have problems...

Scott, pistol grips are good for the actual shooting but doing injured arm reloads and other drills they are a pain and add more steps in manual of arms. Try reloading your M4 and your 590 ( use dummy rounds if ur in the home ) it is easier to hold you shotgun up with a normal stock and reload... correct way to reload is barrel up and pointing down range at the beat zone ( target area ), gate down, loading through the bottom... not inverting the shotgun and loading.

you can shoot a shotgun without putting the stock into your shoulder it isnt that big of a deal.. no one ran a pistol grip only shotgun. just apply forward pressure with your weakhand.

and yes pistol grips on the mossy's top saftey suck... when you run your shotgun or any other weapon you need to ride your safety... you cannot maintain a proper grip and ride the 590's safety with a pistol grip and that slows you way down.

Try doing a select slug drill with the M4 or another semi... it is a pain.

Ive seen guys run combat courses of fire with pumps and autos, and like I mentioned before someone that knows how to run a pump correctly is just as fast or faster than someone with a semi... if you add other drills / reloading and the whole pistol grip thing into the equasion a simple 590 or rem 870 will out run a semi...

I was skeptical about benelli until using my brother in law's SBE I for a sporting clays league recently. It was dirty when I got it from him and I thought...I wonder...so I never cleaned it and shot at least 100-150 rounds every week for 8 weeks without a SINGLE MALFUNCTION. I even lent it to a guy three weeks in a row shooting a winchester Sx3 that had malfunction after malfunction every week until he would put it away.

The rem 1100 guys were constantly replacing o rings in their guns also. Hell the only guns that were as malfunction free as the benelli were a couple of M2 benellis and the O/U shotguns the real shooters were swinging.

I am a believer in Benelli and I would love to get my hands on a Vinci. I know the sbe is not an M4 but as far as benelli goes I am sold. I have a Nova also and a mossberg 835 turkey gun. Im thinking I will sell my other shotguns and scrape up the cash to get a real all around gun like the sbe. 2-3/4, 3, 3-1/2 any thing you put in it it never skips a beat.

That's what I did!Sold all my other shotguns and only own Benelli's.The 20 gauge Montefeltro is an awesome walk around Quail gun.It's never jammed.

Steve

Benelli M4 if you are still considering this.

Rem 870 is my preference for pumps anyway.

I had a M1S90 that was great but I want to step into a M4 at some time when I can justify a 1400 shotgun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. I was expecting to sell the Benelli but now I've completely reconsidered.

Scott
</div></div>
Having both the M4 and a 590 IMO you made the right choice. I still can't believe how low the felt recoil is on the Benelli.

What? Are you still trying to decide between the two Scott??
laugh.gif

I have always been a Mossberg owner. Bought my first M500 when I was 16 and never looked back. That 1st 500 was still going strong when I gave it to my cousin a few years back and I had well over 10k rounds through it without any issues. And this coming from a guy who can make ANYTHING malfunction...
wink.gif

Lord knows there's nothing wrong with Benellis (better not be for the price they ask for 'em) and the 870's we're issued work fine, but Mossberg's will always be my preference when it comes to a personal scattergun.

Scott,

I have the Mossberg 590A1. I completely love that it has fed and fired everything I throw at it. I would love to own a Benelli M4, but I believe that a shotgun needs to be simple and fire everything it is fed no matter what circumstance. My next shotgun purchase will probably be a Remington 870 from Nighthawk instead of the Benelli M4 to tell you the truth. Anyways, good luck with your decision.

IMG_0312.jpg

I ended up selling the Benelli M4 (unfired) and bought an old 870 Wingmaster. I dressed up the 870 with a mag extension and muzzle brake. It seems to be a well made weapon. I stil have the 590 and a Nova Camo. But the M4 pointed and shouldered so well for me....

I've owned an M1 Super 90 and hunted with it, turkey and deer, but it kicked like a freaking mule for a semi-auto.

You know, I'm very decisive with my handguns, and rifles (both rimfire and centerfire) but I'm still struggling with this scattergun thing. Common sense tells me a pump is the proper platform for a scattergun, but unloading 7 rounds of 00 buck or slugs as fast as I can pull the trigger just has this primal appeal to me. The Benelli seems like quite the weapon.

Man, what is wrong with me...

Be glad that you sold your Benelli M4. They're shit and don't live up to the hype.

Enjoy your 870. It's all the combat shotgun you'll ever need.

I run an 1100 in competition, but by far it's the shooter, not the equipment that gets the job done.

Well I really do not understand this thread. What I mean is that, it is not a fair comparison between the benelli and the mossberg. One is a pump, and one is a semi auto. If you want to make this thread interesting compare the mossberg to another pump, and the benelli to another semi. So the question is not whether you would like to know what we think you should buy as far as model, you should be asking whether we think you should buy semi, or pump.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: homedefender83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I really do not understand this thread. What I mean is that, it is not a fair comparison between the benelli and the mossberg. One is a pump, and one is a semi auto. If you want to make this thread interesting compare the mossberg to another pump, and the benelli to another semi. So the question is not whether you would like to know what we think you should buy as far as model, you should be asking whether we think you should buy semi, or pump. </div></div>

OK, I'll bite. what do you think?

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: homedefender83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I really do not understand this thread. What I mean is that, it is not a fair comparison between the benelli and the mossberg. One is a pump, and one is a semi auto. If you want to make this thread interesting compare the mossberg to another pump, and the benelli to another semi. So the question is not whether you would like to know what we think you should buy as far as model, you should be asking whether we think you should buy semi, or pump. </div></div>

OK, I'll bite. what do you think?

Scott </div></div>

Go shoot them and tell yourself what you are most comfortable with. It does not matter what I own or what the other guy owns. The only way I could figure out what hand gun I wanted was to spend a lot of money in rental fees and shooting a series of different models. I suggest you do the same. I sure hope this helps you in the process of making your own decision. Whatever decision you make will be the right one I promise you.

Scott,

I guess I'm late to the party but I would have suggested keep them both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M4 = Premier heritage

590 = Super Sniper
</div></div>

Good analogy, which begs the question-how often adn for what will the shottie be used?
I shoot shotgun very rarely, so I am happy as a clam with my Mossberg. I have the combo so I can play with the short barrel, or swap out for the 28" vent rib for hunting.
If I start shooting 3gun I will switch, most likely to a Benneli, or maybe just have a buddy make me a nice he-man 870.

In your shoes Scott, I'd sell the Benneli.

I have a 870 that has never skipped a beat on me yet, and I love it for it.

Pump shotguns are the way to be

I've had an 870 since I was 12. I have the 26" skeet/field tube, and the slug tube with the Rem. rifle sights. I would never part with that, and I've parted company with the best. On another note, I use my Benelli M4 with the Carrier Comp. tube, Mesa 8 shell carrier, and a two point sling when I need to go in heavy. Not to put the 870 down, but I have short stroked the pump many times just shooting skeet, I can't do that with my, or my Team's, life. When it comes to this notion of the sound of a pump action being racked to deter threat, it's like talking smack before a fist fight, and being punched in the face mid sentence. I've unleashed with the M4 in a defensive situation, I knew where the groups were going (into the ceiling), but dumping a tube sure quelles an offensive.
That's my 5 cents (inflation). Celer Silens Mortalis. Tim.