• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benelli R1 rifle .300 WM

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    Benelli R1 - .300wm - Big Game Rifle

Just changing the pace a little from the usual semi-auto AR .556 and 308 talk .
    OK , it's really not my cup of tea for hunting choice and especially with combination of Semi-auto, + Magnum Cal. Centerfire . but this light weight ( .300 Win.Mag.) Benelli semi-auto hunter is Pretty Damn Sweet . You Do get what you pay for with this ' Benelli Boutique ' semi-rifle .

I am a Bolt-gun guy for game hunting and especially I would not buy a Magnum Cal. in semi-auto . But after running it threw the basics my mind has changed thoughts a little .
    I took it out for the buyer to do a little break-in and put on paper and with giving it a check out on mechanics . Mostly with some curiosity on my part with this, semi-auto hunter . New out of the box . topped it out with a low-end Zeiss 3-9 power for glass .
    Owner is local hunter and normally shoots deer/elk @ 300 yard and under . So he will get it back tonight with a report and defiantly he be happy with this shooter .

Retail was right at 1100-$
    Recoil reduction and Piston Gas System was ultra-smooth and soft for being a light weight, Magnum Cal. hunter ( no brake ) and using the Benelli Comfor Tech, system . So if your a guy crying with a bad shoulder or cant handle Recoil with a Mag. Cal. this is the puppy for you .
    and ( my 1st Thoughts ) before shooting was that it Was NO Way going to be a consistent predictable shooter with being a Magnum with using a, Piston gas-system. and Also it would fall-short of it's Advertised hype Fluff ... 'I was Wrong' .
    A.R.G.O. Technology | Benelli USA

Brass extraction was great dropping them right close . It treated your .300wm brass real nice also on the extraction and left them un-molested (no dents) and shiny pretty for reloads .was So Smooth that most of the Brass did NOT even bounce off the concrete bench table on extraction, it just hit and stayed on top .
    Barrel is quality handlapped-Chryo . Smooth as a baby's ass when fouled dirty, and when you run a Rod & patch down it . It cleaned up fast EASY with, (1 wet patch) . ( 1 stroke of wet bronze brush) . ( 2 dry patches) .
    Also: light weight profile Barrel stayed 'Really Cool' Temp. after firing . So I am assuming the majority of Heat gets distributed to the Piston gas-system, keeping the pencil barrel heat managed . I was pretty surprised how cool the barrel was to touch after a few rounds of .300wm out it .
    Now the fired Brass was skin scorching HOT to the touch . & I mean like 10-times more Hot than AR .556 brass after fired extraction . I learned real quick after the 1st time on that mistake .

I only played around 2 hours with it . but Accuracy using box Factory ( Fed. blue-box 180 grn. pointed-SP ) was just grasping 1-MOA @ 100 . So getting used to mechanics and handloading you definitely could squeeze a better/tighter groups out of it .
    If you were Handloading and experienced with spending some time working with this rifle. and with maybe puting some little higher-power magnification Glass on it . A guy could have a Real dependable, solid 600 yrd and under, semi-auto hunter in a Magnum Caliber .
    -
    Rifles | Benelli USA
    -
    -
    BenelliR1_zps2c681444.jpg

-

Last edited: