• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bent Rim - 7mm RM?

penguinofsleep

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Somewhere USA
Got 3 boxes of "once fired" 7mm RM ADG brass for really cheap.

Anyways, in one of the boxes, about half of the brass had bent bases / rims. Enough that the brass cannot sit flat against a flat surface and I realize I'm going to have to toss these. Just wanted to confirm that this was most likely caused by an over pressure round right? I imagine if it was an extractor issue I would also see this on the other brass.

Also, starting with minimum loads, I'm guessing the "non bent" brass is still safe to use? Or should I just toss the entire box that used these loads / powders?

1st picture - "more bent" ones circled in red, "less bent" in blue, "barely bent" not circled.
2nd picture - bottom right casing in the first picture from a different angle. load data inside was there when I got the brass. Seems like it may have been a bit much to me.

bent1.jpg

bent2.jpg

It was early this morning when I posted that sorry mine are dented in not out it looks like it was stuck in chamber pretty good and look at that bottom of case above rim that’s not good I wouldn’t load any that have that case bulge

Are they bulged above the belt or is the brass right above the belt almost even with the belt? Can't tell from the picture. If so, the ones with the wonky rim probably got stuck in the chamber from the bulge and the guy had to extract them by smacking the bolt handle back.

This is pretty common with belted magnums that are loaded way too hot or the brass was fired more than the seller said it was. That area above the belt gets enlarged where a full length resizing die can't reach and keeps pushing the brass downward toward the belt every time it's resized.

Are they bulged above the belt or is the brass right above the belt almost even with the belt? Can't tell from the picture. If so, the ones with the wonky rim probably got stuck in the chamber from the bulge and the guy had to extract them by smacking the bolt handle back.

This is pretty common with belted magnums that are loaded way too hot or the brass was fired more than the seller said it was. That area above the belt gets enlarged where a full length resizing die can't reach and keeps pushing the brass downward toward the belt every time it's resized.
exactly what I thought. one hell of an extractor that withheld that.

exactly what I thought. one hell of an extractor that withheld that.
Yeah, titanium extractor? LOL Definitely looks like what happened to me though. I can't think of any other way that case rim got ripped like that. The guy had to have smacked that bolt handle with a hammer to get that case out of the chamber.

Pretty odd caliber for semi, especially to be doing handloading on as the box implies.
Browning does make a BAR in 7mm rem mag. Would not be out of character for a hunter to hand load for his rifle. Also would not be out of character for a hunter to chase speed in to dangerous pressure territory with his hand loads. But, maybe it was a guy with a bolt action and a mallet…

Reactions: Grim's Reapers
Browning does make a BAR in 7mm rem mag. Would not be out of character for a hunter to hand load for his rifle. Also would not be out of character for a hunter to chase speed in to dangerous pressure territory with his hand loads. But, maybe it was a guy with a bolt action and a mallet…
It was definitely one of the two. BAR or Mallet. LOL That Browning must have one hell of an extractor. I didn't know they made one in 7RM. Learn something new every day.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like the general consensus is what I'm thinking - this box is probably no good - at least not worth gambling my safety or the rifle with. Was kind of expecting this as an answer, but being relatively new to reloading, I wanted to see if there was "something else" I just didn't know about with large-ish magnums, a particular extractor issue that isn't ammo related per se, etc. first. OTOH, I'm a bit surprised the (decently busy) B&M store, with modern day liability and all, would take a chance selling these.

And yes, also what everyone else said - what an extractor. With that being said, I've only seen someone hammer on their bolt once before and the case rim was no where near this damaged afterwards. They proceeded to stop shooting those rounds as well - in this case, why the original owner would shoot 20+ rounds through the gun after their first "get the hammer out" + "majorly bent rim" is beyond me...

There was no bulge directly above the belt on any of the cases I looked at in any of the 3 boxes. Granted, they could have used the Willis collet die or something else that pressed the case in above the belt, who knows.

And yes, I absolutely suspect this brass was fired more than once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grim's Reapers
Granted, they could have used the Willis collet die or something else that pressed the case in above the belt, who knows.
I've borrowed and used those Larry Willis dies with great success on my 7RM. She is one of those bitchy ones that only likes to be shot with some pretty stout loads to achieve the accuracy I'm looking for doing ELR shooting. I just finally purchased a Willis die from a gentleman on SH because they're backordered from the manufacturer for two months and they're the only game in town.

I suggest getting one yourself if you foresee reloading your brass more than three times. It'll save you the heartache of watching your brass go in the trash bin instead of your rifle.

There is absolutely no reason for the 7RM cartridge to be belted in the first place, other than back in the day, it indicated that it was a magnum.

Sorry you had to pitch that box of brass. That sucks!