• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beowulf for Deer?

chadrp

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Central Iowa
I've been hunting deer forever with a 12ga slug gun, thats all Iowa allowed were slug guns. As I get older I've been thinking about going to a 20ga for lighter recoil and lighter gun. This year straight wall rifle cartridges will now be allowed and the Beowulf is included so I'm trying to decide which route to go and have a couple questions as I have no experience with any of the straight walled cartridges.

What would the effective range for the Beowulf be? Would like to have a 200yd range but most shots are 125yds or less.

What kind of recoil does it have?

Is ammo fairly easy to get?

If you have a choice between a 20ga, Beowulf, or another straight wall rifle which would you go with?

Thanks!

200 yards would be at the far end. Ammo is easy to get. Cabela's normally stocks some. The most common is the Rainier plated bullet load (because it is the cheapest). I shot a hog with mine and that load, not a lot of expansion. There are better loads.
Because AA hasn't (won't) have the cartridge tested/approved by SAAMI it is still considered a "wildcat". All factory ammo is loaded by AA. So go to their web site and see what they have. It is super easy to load your own. Uses the same bullets as the 500 S&W.
Recoil is about like a heavy 12 gauge or magnum 20 gauge load. Along those lines at least.
The two I have owned (still own a 10" SBR) have been very very accurate. I would think much more than a shot gun slug.
performance is in line with the 500 S&W. DO NOT use 500 S&W load data, I repeat DO NOT!!!!! The 500 S&W operates at about 65,000psi. The Beowulf is about 40,000 psi. The Beowulf normally has a 16inch barrel, while the 500 S&W is about 8 (standard barrels that are tested for performance). So the 500 S&W needs more pressure to achieve in 8 inches what the Beowulf does in 16. The cases are near identical except for the rim.

so if I were going to be shooting inside of 200 yards, and I had my choice of straight walled rounds. I would hands down for a 450 bushmaster. Here is why, brass and ammo availability. and you can get it in bolt action or a ar platform.. that's a sledge hammer inside of 300 yards
If I was going the shotgun route I would go with my savage 212 12g (they make a 220 that is 20G). and throw a aftermarket stock on it..
I have a 212, and out of the box with rem AccuTip at 200 yards its hitting a 2 inch group. ive hit does and bucks at 200+ (farthest was 234 yards) and they didn't even take a step. with that being said when I get back from this rotation I will be putting a boyds pro varmnint stock on it. And I will be bedding it just like a rifle.. hope it helps

I built this guy a couple years back when Michigan adopted the straight walled rifle cartridge. 22" green mountain barrel in m24/m40 contour and it runs about 135fps faster than the advertised velocity on Hornady factory ammo.

Business end
grad%20and%20450amp6.5%20010.jpg

Over view.
grad%20and%20450amp6.5%20011.jpg

At 500 yards my 450 bushmaster has more velocity and energy than a 45acp at the muzzle... though even the most minor wind change will throw you off off a 12" target, that said I went 2 for 4.

400 on steel
6.5%20creedmoor%20140%20hybrids%20and%20bushmaster%20006.jpg

Now for realistic deer distances...
200y
6.5%20creedmoor%20140%20hybrids%20and%20bushmaster%20003.jpg

300y
6.5%20creedmoor%20140%20hybrids%20and%20bushmaster%20004.jpg

I put this guy together last year using a Mega SBU upper and a Saturn barrel from Brownells.
1478548183.jpg

Loads at 100 yards, one thing to note THIS IS LIL-GUN powder not AR-Comp... my brain must have melted when I wrote that on the target...
1469469041.jpg

For what ever reason this barrel seems to like 225FTX bullets more than 250 grain factory, but I built this for hunting inside 150 yards anyway so 2 moa will work fine if I dont feel like using handloads.

Thanks for the responses! The 450 bushmaster looks like an excellent shooter and worth looking into, but unfortunately I don't believe it will be an option. I haven't read the new law yet but in last year's regulation book the straight walled calibers allowed in pistol platform were as follows.

Only the following center-fire cartridges may be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375 Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag, 10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.

I believe the new law only adds the ability to use them in a rifle platform and doesn't add any new calibers but as I said, I haven't actually seen the new law.

I should also add that I'm just looking to shoot factory ammo for now.

I understand that limits alot of options for better accuracy for this type of shooting.

I'd like to try reloading one of these days but I don't have any of that equipment yet and its hard enough to find time to shoot right now.

Given those options I'd look at 444, 45/70 or 460 S&W Magnum in a lever gun or the .50 Beowulf in an AR, sorry I can't help you on those. I put a 44mag contender together for my daughter to use and used a 20" MGM barrel. With hand loads it is a 2 moa shooter at 100 yards but I wouldn't go much beyond 150 yards with it. The 460 if a bit more powerful than the bushmaster so it would be good to 300 for sure.

Our law just reads that we need a straight walled caliber .35 or larger with case lengths between 1.16" to 1.8" ... and we can now use .35 or larger Air Rifles/pistols now too.

The 50 Beowulf is great. I am sure you wont be disappointed. As far as reloading. At least pick up the brass fo the 50. Virgin brass is $1.00 each (or more).
That caliber list is great (as in funny). I want to come up there and hunt deer with my 40S&W.

Geez I'm wondering now if the Iowa DNR is reading this post? I guess I'm going to have to hang on a bit before deciding what to do as the IA DNR is now rewriting the laws in this new law after its been passed after the letter my gun smith and another customer received today.

His response from them,

Good morning -

The contender is legal in a legal caliber. The AR platform is not since it can be shouldered. They are tightening up the definitions for the pistol/handgun and adding information for the new rifles that should be approved by the commission in the next couple months.

Regards,

Webmaster
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
P 515.725.8200 | F 515.725.8201 | [email protected]
502 East 9th Street | Des Moines, IA 50319
WWW.IOWADNR.GOV
Leading Iowans in Caring for Our Natural Resources."

WRONG.

IA DNR DOES NOT GET TO REDEFINE WHAT A HANDGUN IS...

I see a storm brewing....

Henry is making some pretty cool 45-70's these days. I can't tell for sure what kind of accuracy to expect but from what I've seen out of their big boy rifles I'd say 200 yards is not out the question

Attachments

• photo58131.jpg
    photo58131.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34