• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beretta 1301 Tactical

1301phil

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2021
USA
Greetings,

I just received my 1301 Tactical. That said, I have a few questions.

1. This model has a removable choke. Per Beretta, it will fire 00 buck and birdshot, but NOT rifled slugs. Again, per Beretta i need a cylinder choke to fire all 3 ammunition types. Question - buy a cylinder choke or a cylinder choke barrel (like a police/tactical 870)?

2. I ordered a Magpul stock, not knowing the availability of the ARIDUS Industries mount adapter. Anyone, have any lines, hook ups, or have one that's available. They all seemed to be out of stock everywhere.

3. If I strike out on the ARIDUS Industries mounting adapter, I was thinking about DYI QD mount on the stock. Anyone have any experience?

4. Anyone have any experience the Magpul forearm and how much modification does it require to fit ?

Thanks for whatever help the group here can provide.

Phil

One thing about buying another barrel - if Beretta is like Benelli (which I suspect they are, since Beretta owns them...) - their parts are like the most expensive firearms parts in the world. You may find it's cheaper *to buy another shotgun* than a barrel. I did.

I got an extremely awesome deal on a Benelli Supernova 24" "tactical turkey" on St. Patrick's Day 2010 ... it had a 24" choked barrel with a red fiber-optic light-pipe sight. I had really wanted the Supernova Tactical with ghost ring sights ... but this was on such a good sale (several discounts, great deal, I think it was a $550+ gun I got for $299?) I figured I'd just buy a new barrel and install the rear sight myself.

Except Benelli barrels are like $465 minimum, all the way up to nearly $600. Literally, was cheaper for me to just buy a SuperNova Tactical itself than a barrel.

Obviously I am not suggesting you buy another shotgun when you just got an awesome 1301 Tactical- I'm just saying it could be very expensive. I did a quick Google for Beretta 1301 barrels, the one I find is a 24" comp barrel with a $635 price tag! Yikes.

Beretta says you can't shoot slugs through the barrel the same way every pistol mfg says you can't shoot reloads through their guns.

If you need to install another QD mount, this is incredibly easy to use

Rifled slugs depend on the manufacturer. Some slug manufacturers state a no more constricted than modified, however others like Brenneke makes rifled slugs with no such restrictions. Performance however is often better with the more open chokes like improved cylinder or cylinder. Never shoot it without a choke tube installed, you'll damage the threads.

The Magpul forearm is an Aridus Industries package that they modify an Magpul Zhukov AK forearm with adapter pieces.. It's a combination of a machined aluminum front adapter piece and rear adapter piece (the rear being fixed to the forearm) and a heat shield. You're not gonna have much luck installing one buying a forearm alone for a DIY.

It will be fine with rifled slugs. As the others have noted, the Magpul stock and forearm requires adapters. The stock needs the Aridus adapter and the forearm needs to be installed with the Zhukov AK pieces. Pretty straightforward to install. As installed on my 1301

1301.jpg

Reactions: Davo308
From Beretta's website;
"An interchangeable choke system allows for maximum flexibility based on use and needs. An OptimaBore, HP Improved Cylinder (flush configuration) is included with this package."
I don't think you need a Cylinder choke unless you want to specifically only use slugs, IC is how it comes from the factory so I'm not sure why you were told slugs can't be used, it's designed for HD and law enforcement hence slugs would potentially be used, can't see a problem myself. And for the record I have one and will not hesitate to use a slug if necessary in mine.

Had a 1301 Tactical and now own a 1301 Comp and have no use for any other shotguns and I've owned them all, Benelli M4, M2, Mossberg 930, Remington 11-87, etc.

It comes with the Optima HP IC choke and I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to shoot slugs through it, as I have shot many Federal and Brenneke slugs through mine. The older Federal Flite Control ammo was hands down the best patterning buckshot and that includes Hornady TAP and Critical Defense, with the Federal 3" 12 pellet 00 buck load keeping all pellets inside 8" at 25 yards. Federal has redesigned the Flite Control and it does not pattern nearly as well.

It cycles as fast as I can pull the trigger and has eaten everything I ever tried to shoot through it. Can't help you on the ARIDUS stock or forend as I've kept both of mine stock. I installed a Nordic extension tube, spring and follower with a barrel clamp with a rail and sling adapter and it's perfect for what I need.

1301 Comp Pro with Optima HP IC choke shoots Brenneke SFSM slugs no problem. Not rifled but patterns nicely with a red dot at 100Y. Some slug types have to be used in a rifled barrel and can not be used in a choked barrel. For example, Brenneke states that their Brenneke Gold Magnum/Magnum Crush and all brass Super Sabot slugs can not be used in a choked barrel.

Had a 1301 Tactical and now own a 1301 Comp and have no use for any other shotguns and I've owned them all, Benelli M4, M2, Mossberg 930, Remington 11-87, etc.

It comes with the Optima HP IC choke and I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to shoot slugs through it, as I have shot many Federal and Brenneke slugs through mine. The older Federal Flite Control ammo was hands down the best patterning buckshot and that includes Hornady TAP and Critical Defense, with the Federal 3" 12 pellet 00 buck load keeping all pellets inside 8" at 25 yards. Federal has redesigned the Flite Control and it does not pattern nearly as well.

It cycles as fast as I can pull the trigger and has eaten everything I ever tried to shoot through it. Can't help you on the ARIDUS stock or forend as I've kept both of mine stock. I installed a Nordic extension tube, spring and follower with a barrel clamp with a rail and sling adapter and it's perfect for what I need.
Hi Nick,

I just bought my 1301 tactical, it came with a cylinder choke. Used the firearm at the range out of the box, used bird shot and buckshot. I have since replaced the choke to an Optima HP IC. I see you have shot slugs through yours and its ok, I was a bit reluctant, you seem to have had no problems. So any rifled slugs should be ok ?