• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara 22lr mag not seating

Friday

The Hay King
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2018
Northern Nevada
I just put together a 22lr trainer, rifle turned out titties but the mag doesn’t quite latch in my bottom metal, I’m running a Bergara carbon fiber barreled action sitting in a McMillan A5 with an APA bottom metal I have several Remington actions in McMillan stocks all with apa bottom metal as I have found them to be the best quality bottom metal I have used by far. Never had an issue with mags not seating until this one. Has anyone else had issues with mags not seating with the Bergara 22 mags?

Yeah, sort of had that happen with my Bergara B14R when it was in a Grayboe stock with their DBM. One mag wouldn't lock in and the other two would but it was tight. It happens, a "quick" fix you can do is shim the bottom metal with a couple to few layers of aluminum tape and test fit.

More permanent is to file a bit off the end of the magazine latch, taking a little at a time and test fitting it.

Yeah, but take too much off and now your mag is fucked up and it still won't work right, there'd be no going back from that. You can get a new latch if you mess that up and start over again.
Likewise, the shims can be peeled off down the road like they were never there.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
Shimming the bottom metal isn’t going to make it feed, the mag is all the way up against the receiver and it doesnt want to feed correctly.

You said the magazine wasn't seating, if you shim the bottom metal you're in effect lowering the magazine latch to give the magazine room to go up inside the well and let the latch will catch the back of the magazine.

This is a case where the search button is your friend. There are several very long threads on this exact scenario. I also own a CF B14r.

Hopefully this jump starts your troubleshooting.