• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14 HMR 308 Loads

Abelmartinez90

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2023
Fort Worth
Hello all,

I got a Bergara B-14 HMR in 308. I shoot my rifle first time las Sunday, a couple of boxes of AAC 150gr. I do not know if the ammo is totally trash or the HMR just does not like it. Terrible groups. I was a bit disappointed with the rifle but later my friend gave some Argentinian surplus and the rifle was grouping amazing. Its time for me to start working on reloading for this rifle. I have at home some:

150 gr Hornady Bulk FMJ BT

150 gr Speer Hot-Cor

168 gr Speer Target Match

165 gr Nosler Accubond

I am going later or tomorrow to get some Large Rifle Primers and Powder. I am not new to reloading, I already load 223, 300blk, 9mm, and 44mag but 308 is new for me.

I was reading that some of the favorite powders are:

IMR 8208 (extruded, single base)
CFE 223 (ball)
IMR, H 4895 (extruded, single base))
IMR 4064 (extruded, single base)
RL 15 (extruded, double base)
VARGET (extruded, single base)
2000 MR (ball)
RS TAC (ball)

I really like extruded ones, they are easier to work with for someone like me with budget gear. I really liked the AR-comp for 223 for example.

I will really appreciate recipes, advice, and links to other threads so I can learn fast what mi rifle likes based on my own experience and other more expert loaders previous experiences.

Thank you in advance.

Bergara HMR works well with FGMM 175gr or Hornady Match 308 178gr if you want factory match performance.

When I reloaded for 308, 43.5gr of Varget, CCI BR-2 primer and a 175gr Sierra Match King was my goto for 308 at competition.

I have the Wilderness version of your HMR, and mine didn't like any Hornady factory ammo or reloads. Mine did like Sierra 168 MK and 175 MK's that I reloaded with Varget, CFE223 and AA2495. I tried Hornady 155 AMax, 168 and 175 pills, and it didn't like any of them.

I have the Wilderness version of your HMR, and mine didn't like any Hornady factory ammo or reloads. Mine did like Sierra 168 MK and 175 MK's that I reloaded with Varget, CFE223 and AA2495. I tried Hornady 155 AMax, 168 and 175 pills, and it didn't like any of them.
What groups were you getting with CFE223. Not having great luck with Varget with 168 ABLR

You may know this, but from what I`ve read it`s not unusual at all to have to go through a load evaluation period, sometimes rather extensive, with Bergara rifles to find a load(s) your particular gun likes.

PRCslut, I usually shoot 10 shot groups when doing load development (got the idea from a Hornady podcast on load dev., I think it was episode 052). With the Sierra 168MK's, I loaded 48.0 gr. of CFE223 (1.0 gr. below max per that same Hornady podcast) and got a 1 3/8" 10 shot group. With 42.7 gr. of TAC I got a 1 1/4" 10 shot group. With 43.2 gr. of AA-2495 gave me a 2 1/4" 10 shot group (the rifle really didn't like that powder!). As with all rifle barrels, YMMV.

I try to get a 10 shot group at 1" or less. As another reference point, Federal factory 168 SMK's grouped at 3/4" for a five shot group.

Hornady Black 168 Amax factory ammo shot a 1 1/2" five shot group. Fine for hunting, but not for making small groups on paper which is what I do.

If ABLR pills don't group well enough, there certainly are enough other hunting bullets you can give a shot.

Last edited: