• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara, B-14 HMR or HMR Pro?

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent’s,

I’m looking to purchase one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor. I want something more handy & lightweight compared to my AI MkIII’s.

I’ve narrowed it down to these 2 and I’m looking for feedback & suggestions. The pro will run an additional $500.00 plus and I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra coin over the B-14?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers,

AvsFan

Ive got the regular HMR. Didnt feel like the Pro offered anything I couldnt put on the regular model later down the road. But i could be wrong. It's just that the Pro is starting to approach John Hancock price, so the "bang for buck" equation between the HMR and the HMR Pro is leabing more in the standard HMR's favor. But this is only my opinion! Ive never handled the Pro.

Reactions: Brian Foster
I went with the HMR. Don’t think it’s worth the extra $500 IMHO and to me they aren’t that lightweight. My Tikka TSR and HMR seem similar in weight.

Reactions: Brian Foster
^ True, HMR doesn't feel very light. It's in-between a hunting weight, and a match weight rifle.

$850/$1350

You are getting a stainless barrel and action, plus a $150 trigger. I think the pro is worth the extra money, for me anyway.

I've handled both but own neither. From my short time cycling them in stores, I actually liked the B14 action over the premier.

If you are going to hand load and run the bullets long the B14hmr feed ramp will need to be modified, factory ammo no problem. Not sure if the pro has this issue. The regular B14 HMR trigger is good but not great, I was going to replace it but after 1100 rounds it still on there.

It is heavy if you are hunting from a stand fine, walking around look elsewhere.

My B14 HMR is a laser just a no frills shooter.

Reactions: m6z
Just bought a HMR Pro 6.5C last month. Shot a match with Hornady American Gunner 140 gr ammo and did well. Today sighting in Hornady 140 ELD Match ammo shot 1/2 MOA. First group of 3 out of cold bore clean bore went right on at 1/2 MOA. Great trigger breaks around 2.8 LBS give or take. 2nd and 3rd groups also went 1/2 MOA. Bolt very smooth very nice, not necessarily light weight but not overly heavy either. I like it a lot, looking forward to shooting Production class in PRS matches.

Attachments

• IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 29
Check out the Tikka as well. Side by side the Tikka felt better to get behind then the Bergera HMR and Pro

Check out the Tikka as well. Side by side the Tikka felt better to get behind then the Bergera HMR and Pro
I was one that didn’t believe all the tikka hype. After trying it out there is no denying how good they are.

I concur that the value is diminished in the pro. You rack up the features but as someone pointed out you’re starting to get into rarefied air around $1500 and $1250 is right there. I like my B14 hmr and have never once wished I had spent more on it.

I got both guns in 6.5 now. The Pro is definitely a nicer gun. The action is much smoother and the trigger is a lot better. If I was going to buy another it would be a Pro with out a doubt.

Reactions: VP47PPC
I bought the HMR in 22 250, not happy should have bought the tikka, better barrel, trigger and action. The HMR is sloppy , not accurate and the trigger needs replacing.

First thing I did with my Bergara after taking it to the range was swap out the standard Bergara trigger for the Triggertech Primary where I have it set around 1.75 lbs. The Bergara trigger isn't bad, but I wanted a bit lighter. It's made quite a bit of difference in shooting. I can't speak to the fit or finish of the Pro (I've never handled one) But my Bergara has met and exceeded my expectations at almost every turn. I've just been running Hornady ELD-M 140 gr. in my gun, and it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 32
I've been happy with my standard HMR. Went out today to confirm cold bore POI with my hunting ammo, then shot this 5 shot group @100m with Hornady 140gr ELD factory ammo and called it a day. Just under 1/2moa is hard to complain about. That being said, if the PRO were available at the time I bought this, I would have probably gone in that direction. I can't see the results being anything but marginally better though.

Attachments

• HMR group aug23.jpg
    HMR group aug23.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Pro for sure. Better action, better barrel, better trigger. The pro feels like a custom action when cycling - the B-14 feels like a budget rifle.

Pro for sure. Better action, better barrel, better trigger. The pro feels like a custom action when cycling - the B-14 feels like a budget rifle.

I guess it depends on what you consider the budget rifle feel but I don't really get that. I have nothing but good things to say about mine. I would like to get some time behind the PRO as well, and I'm sure it is an improvement, but is it going to make me a better shooter than I am with the standard HMR ??? I average around 0.6-0.7moa with a mix of Hornady 140 ELD Match and Hornady American Gunner... I don't know how much I would actually be able to shave off of that without going the custom route.

I guess it depends on what you consider the budget rifle feel but I don't really get that. I have nothing but good things to say about mine. I would like to get some time behind the PRO as well, and I'm sure it is an improvement, but is it going to make me a better shooter than I am with the standard HMR ??? I average around 0.6-0.7moa with a mix of Hornady 140 ELD Match and Hornady American Gunner... I don't know how much I would actually be able to shave off of that without going the custom route.

I feel exactly the same way about mine. Needless to say, I'm planning on a semi-custom build, and then fully custom build in the future after I transfer duty stations next March.

Maybe take a look at the Bergara Premier Series Long Range BPR19-65F. These have the carbon fiber stock and come with a timney flat trigger, and sub moa guarantee.

Rondogg, all Bergaras have a sub-MOA guarantee with factory ammo and all three of mine deliver on that with a shooter better than me.