• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14R - carbon fiber or steel barrel?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
Trying to decide. Leaning towards the steel. Seems like it would be more durable.
Thoughts?

Curious if there has been an accuracy difference between the two?

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I just picked up a steel one because the gun is a trainer and I want it to be as close to my PRS gun as possible. I don't think you will go wrong either way.

Reactions: z28kid
I bought steel first with the stock, thought it was too heavy, so I bought carbon barreled action, thought I would sell the one I liked least. I've done several stock swaps and honestly can't see a difference in accuracy. I sold the Bergara stock and now have a KRG Bravo on the steel barrel and Magpul Hunter on the carbon. I've decided to keep the carbon for ranch-truck gun and steel for competition. I can't express how close they are accuracy wise no matter which stock or whether they were fired off of sandbag, bipod or out the window.

I've never owned a CF barrel. How durable are they? I'm just worried I'll ding it and it will fray and look like crap.
Apparently, I'm a bit of a clutz. :(

I've never owned a CF barrel. How durable are they? I'm just worried I'll ding it and it will fray and look like crap.
I cant say. I have not decided to use my barrel as a pry bar so I could tell others how durable it is. I've ran it solely as Nrl22 match rifle since May. I have seen no percieved damage or coming apart. Carbon fiber is used for supercar bumpers and body panels. I think the stuff is pretty good to go. If your gonna fuck it up....your probably going to fuck the steel barrel as well.

Reactions: Parkerized
Fraying won't likely happen. The CF is most likely pre-preg, pre-saturated with the correct amount of epoxy and cured in an autoclave (pressure oven). The end result is more of a solid resing than a cloth. Break it in half and you may have some fraying, but that would be the least of your worries.

I went with a Carbon and so did my brother. We both like it. My Bergara last time out shot groups in the .3-.5 inch range at 50 yards (SK RM). For me that’s pretty good outdoors with a bit of wind. I doubt a steel barrel would shrink my groups.

Last edited:
After a few shots you lose your POA. 10 shots each. Shooting as fast as I could run the bolt while “trying “ to keep my head down.

Attachments

• 78B5E8EF-FCDF-4CD2-BD5D-A04DD9EAA5B9.jpeg
    78B5E8EF-FCDF-4CD2-BD5D-A04DD9EAA5B9.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 365
First 10 rounds out of my Carbon zeroing after spending 27 days riding around in my vehicle since last month's match. First shot (left one) landed right where the crosshairs laid. The other 9 stacked up nice in a light variabel wind 53°F temp day.
20210410_142820.jpg

I don't think it matters whether you get a carbon or steel. On average they perform the same. And I've seen way more steel barrels. No carbon yet I've seen has been a slouch. Mine will not shoot with my personal can....but with a buddy's can it was still a hammer.

Just finished up our State Championship for the NRL22 season today. Placed 6th in Open and Overall despite some health problems slowing me down. Going to NRL22X next week and the National Championship next month.
FB_IMG_1618186399249.jpg

20210411_185318.jpg

Do your due diligence ammo testing and toss the factory trigger and the Bergara is a worthy adversary for most rifles out there I think. Vudoo's might have raw accuracy edge but I myself have not had 1/100th the issues I've seen others have with finicky mags and other such nonsense. I've been very happy in the reliability aspect.

As I said before....

You want weight? Get the steel.

You dont want weight? Get the carbon.

Think about the overall build. You strap a bunch of heavy shit to it like I did....the carbon makes it still pretty manageable.
FB_IMG_1618186409746.jpg

Seem to recall hearing the carbon fiber barrel was intended to produce the some "feel" with a can on the end, as the steel barrel without.

Last edited:
Out of all B14R's that I have sold (and that's been "a couple" ;)), I have heard zero difference in accuracy. I have a shit ton of pics from customers 1st rounds stating things like, "Man this one is a shooter", "I can't believe how accurate this thing is", etc. So, I have a pretty good idea of the differences between the two.

Main difference is, of course, weight. However, like I tell everyone, BOTH are going to need weight added in the front to get to balance 4-5" in front of the mag well. This is because of the short 18" barrel.

Durability of the CF? My shooting partner has a CF in an MPA BA. After a year of matches and recreational shooting, his still looks good. No fraying, nicks, dents, etc.

IMO, the only draw back to the CF is IF you intend on installing a tuner, you will need to get one that attaches to the existing muzzle threads, as there is (of course) no way to machine the barrel to accept the other style of tuner.

CF looks bad ass, IMO. But, I have found that is a generational thing. I'm 50yrs old and remember when CF became popular in the hot rod and motorcycle scene. To me, CF just looks "Fast and Bad ass." However, I have heard younger kids say they don't like the looks. Eh...to each their own.

Rich

Out of all B14R's that I have sold (and that's been "a couple" ;)), I have heard zero difference in accuracy. I have a shit ton of pics from customers 1st rounds stating things like, "Man this one is a shooter", "I can't believe how accurate this thing is", etc. So, I have a pretty good idea of the differences between the two.

Main difference is, of course, weight. However, like I tell everyone, BOTH are going to need weight added in the front to get to balance 4-5" in front of the mag well. This is because of the short 18" barrel.

Durability of the CF? My shooting partner has a CF in an MPA BA. After a year of matches and recreational shooting, his still looks good. No fraying, nicks, dents, etc.

IMO, the only draw back to the CF is IF you intend on installing a tuner, you will need to get one that attaches to the existing muzzle threads, as there is (of course) no way to machine the barrel to accept the other style of tuner.

CF looks bad ass, IMO. But, I have found that is a generational thing. I'm 50yrs old and remember when CF became popular in the hot rod and motorcycle scene. To me, CF just looks "Fast and Bad ass." However, I have heard younger kids say they don't like the looks. Eh...to each their own.

Rich
Off topic: I am one of those that bought their barreled actions from Rich and I will say that he is top notch. Great guy and seller. Thank you for the input and yes the carbon looks badass. That’s why I went with the carbon.

• Love
Reactions: Redvanes and A&8's
Seem to recall hearing the carbon fiber barrel was intended to produce the some "feel" with a can on the end, as the steel barrel without.
Not really. My can in particular is all aluminum. If I could run it (previous stated I can't due to accuracy/harmonics issue)....it would still be nowhere near as heavy as the steel barrel bare.

Go with the one that will make you the happiest. That's what toys are for. If for weight, i have read that they add weights both to steel and CF. If for accuracy, its a 22LR, its a factory ammo, can't control much that part unlike center fire ones. You do need to find what ammo your gun likes, then buy a lot of it.
I went the CF way since i like the look and also to try out what a CF is like.

I have CF and love my gun. Shoots really well and looks cool. 50 yd sight in with SK STD + ammo.
I’m not at all concerned with issues or fraying to the CF. It’s solid. Really it comes down to weight.

Attachments

• 955D5894-E5C2-4884-BD39-3106483EB1B4.jpeg
    955D5894-E5C2-4884-BD39-3106483EB1B4.jpeg
    696.7 KB · Views: 239
  • BB01C537-AE39-41B9-BF29-B73EE22AD210.jpeg
    BB01C537-AE39-41B9-BF29-B73EE22AD210.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 270
  • 92907001-D9B1-492E-9315-3AD04BA9C78C.jpeg
    92907001-D9B1-492E-9315-3AD04BA9C78C.jpeg
    751.5 KB · Views: 234
Last edited: