• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14 hmr 6.5cm accuracy issues

ShooterVaughn

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2022
Alaska
My first groups with this rifle after finding the right ammo (Hornady 140g eld match) were .5 inches. After shooting more, the groups started to open up. I heard from a local gun store guy that he has the same problem when he shoots 180ish rounds through his rifle. But after a quick clean the group tightens up again. He also has a .308 compared to my 6.5cm.

I was just wondering if anybody has had the same problem or not.

Thanks!

After how many rounds would you suggest?
How many pieces of brass do you have? I run 2-300 pieces and clean when I finish a batch. If you have 700 clean half way through. If you have 100 clean every 2-3 firings.
You want to get it clean so that it’s accurate but also so that it doesn’t get so bad you can’t clean it.

Some benchresters clean every 15-20, some people never clean. Just depends on your expectations and requirements.

Reactions: ShooterVaughn
A new rifle I give a good cleaning when I get it and then clean after the first 3 to 4 range sessions. This helps with the so called "break in" period which is just the smoothing of the throat area some. Then after that just clean when needed.

I clean after every time I shoot, whether it was 20 rounds or 200. That being said, if I didn't shoot much I just give it a quick clean. A couple wet patches, a couple dry. Not sure I'm doing it the best way, it's just what I've always done.