• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14 HMR vs Bergara HMR Pro

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
Hey folks, well I thought I had made my decision on my beginner PRC/NRL rifle, the Bergara B14 HMR. Of course, then I started to research a little more.....just for fun, and I was tempted by the Bergara HMR Pro for "only" a few hundred dollars more. So I'm hoping some of you can show me the error of my ways by considering "jumping up" to the HMR Pro, when the B14 HMR would really serve my purpose. Sadly, I am often attracted by the shinier toys just because I am a guy, and in love with all firearms. Seriously, is the HMR Pro really worth the $500 more. I think so, but I'm hoping you folks with clearer minds will turn me around!

Reactions: McCoyoioi
I chose the Pro in 300 Win Mag. It is worth the extra money to me. Trigger is exceptional, and the action is smooth, bolt disassembles without tools (instructions show a pin inserted to take down, but newer versions you just twist the bolt shroud to the right). Owner’s manual needs an update. Metal fit, finish and function are exceptional. Basically, it feels, looks and shoots well above it’s price range. With the magnum, I appreciate the larger diameter scope mount screws, I preferred the stainless steel action and barrel, and the bolt was an improvement over the B14. I also wanted to buy a rifle with as many parts as possible made in the USA. The B14 is all made in Spain. The Pro is USA, other than the barrel. Just watch out for the gas washer when you strip the bolt for cleaning. It goes missing faster than cash from your wallet.
Edit to add: Buy a couple AICS mags for your new toy. The pmag provided won’t lock back the bolt, nor feed perfectly as will the AICS mags.

Last edited:
I chose the Pro in 300 Win Mag. It is worth the extra money to me. Trigger is exceptional, and the action is smooth, bolt disassembles without tools (instructions show a pin inserted to take down, but newer versions you just twist the bolt shroud to the right). Owner’s manual needs an update. Metal fit, finish and function are exceptional. Basically, it feels, looks and shoots well above it’s price range. With the magnum, I appreciate the larger diameter scope mount screws, I preferred the stainless steel action and barrel, and the bolt was an improvement over the B14. I also wanted to buy a rifle with as many parts as possible made in the USA. The B14 is all made in Spain. The Pro is USA, other than the barrel. Just watch out for the gas washer when you strip the bolt for cleaning. It goes missing faster than cash from your wallet.
Edit to add: Buy a couple AICS mags for your new toy. The pmag provided won’t lock back the bolt, nor feed perfectly as will the AICS mags.
Thank you Amanda, your view of the Pro is very much appreciated, and the comparisons you offered up really make my decision easier. Also, the tip on the mags is great information. Glenn

Last edited:
Reactions: potshots
I used to have a Pro in 6 CM. I've played with the base model. The upgrades are well worth it. The action is smoother, the trigger is far superior, and I love the bolt. If you get the Pro, you'll have a rifle you don't really need to upgrade anything on (except, perhaps, the stock).

Check Mike High Shooting. They have Bergara rifles on sale. I believe they have a sale on pros that might make your decision easier.

I'm a hunting associate at a major outdoor store and sell Bergaras every day. That said, i receive feedback from happy and unhappy customers on a regular basis. The main difference between the two is a fluted bolt and an arguably better trigger. However, the triggertech trigger in the pro is still not good enough to justify the $500 upcharge. I recommend you get a standard HMR and spend $280 on a triggertech Diamond... You will end up with a much better shooter than the HMR pro.

Check Mike High Shooting. They have Bergara rifles on sale. I believe they have a sale on pros that might make your decision easier.
Thanks my friend, by the time I checked this morning they were sold out. Damn!

If you look at just the trigger as being better, it might not make sense to buy the pro, but Amanda4461 laid it out pretty good. The receiver itself is worth the extra that the trigger doesn't make up for, in my opinion, it is a much better built action with less slop in it. Plus the cerakote is a nice little extra

I picked up the regular b14 hmr this year in 6.5 creedmoor, and have nearly 1,000 rounds on it so far. I do not feel it has held me back at all. And...it flat out shoots. 5x5 below with American gunner. Center group was clean cold bore. Top right I murphed royally.

I will say though, in all data confirmation, I find myself sliding the BC pretty far to get data to be good. But it ends up tracking past 1200 yards so... I trust it.

Thanks my friend, by the time I checked this morning they were sold out. Damn!

Try GUNZONEDEALS.com. I paid $1390.99 for mine. The transaction was flawless, and I received the rifle two days after I paid for it. The rifles are priced according to their relative popularity. My 300 Win Mag was about $150 less than a 6.5 Creedmoor.

They are both nice rifles. Amanda laid it out perfectly. It’s not just an upgraded trigger. That said, it’s really hard to pick between the two for someone else. If you don’t mind spending more money, go for the Pro. If you are more on a budget, get the B14. Either way I think you will be happy.

Hey folks, well I thought I had made my decision on my beginner PRC/NRL rifle, the Bergara B14 HMR. Of course, then I started to research a little more.....just for fun, and I was tempted by the Bergara HMR Pro for "only" a few hundred dollars more. So I'm hoping some of you can show me the error of my ways by considering "jumping up" to the HMR Pro, when the B14 HMR would really serve my purpose. Sadly, I am often attracted by the shinier toys just because I am a guy, and in love with all firearms. Seriously, is the HMR Pro really worth the $500 more. I think so, but I'm hoping you folks with clearer minds will turn me around!
Single shot has this in the PX:
Bought it a year ago. Never fired except cleaned it, and mounted a scope and bipod on it. The pic was taken before the bipod went on
  • Include original box and all it’s content
  • Upgraded bolt shroud
  • EGW 20 moa rail
  • Bipod adapter and bipod NOT included
  • Scope and mount also NOT included
$825 shipped

Reactions: Singleshot
I wanted to take a moment to thank all members that provide comments and recommendations. The collective wisdom of all members is truly amazing, and I appreciate it. By the way, I decided to go with the Bergara B14 HMR. It is a great place for me to start as I begin a new adventure at 70, and I can upgrade when I need, while I learn this new sport of PRC/NRL shooting.

I don't know if this is gonna help anyone because its such an old question.... But here goes. I have the Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 PRC and my brother in the Pro and I really don't see the difference. The trigger may be a little bit better. But there aint sht wrong with the trigger in mine. If that little bit of a difference in the trigger has any effect on your shot, the you need a lot more things than a trigger upgrade.... Thats just my opinion...

Reactions: 3850remhep
Late to the party here , but another big difference is that Bergara will rebarrel the pro series at a very reasonable cost . Dont offer this service for the b-14.

Late to the party here , but another big difference is that Bergara will rebarrel the pro series at a very reasonable cost . Dont offer this service for the b-14.
Where did you get that info from?

That is good to hear !When did they do this and what was the turn around time?
Did they do it here in the states or did it have to back to Spain ?
I was told they wouldn’t re barrel anything but the premier action ?

Premier is a better (smoother, more robust, true) action, comes with a Trigger Tech trigger, better barrel.

There was a premiere action with a magnum bolt face but you could change in the px for 675… idk if it’s still there or if you want a complete ready to go build

I wanted to take a moment to thank all members that provide comments and recommendations. The collective wisdom of all members is truly amazing, and I appreciate it. By the way, I decided to go with the Bergara B14 HMR. It is a great place for me to start as I begin a new adventure at 70, and I can upgrade when I need, while I learn this new sport of PRC/NRL shooting.

My story almost exactly. At 68 yrs and a lifetime of trigger time (rifles, pistols and minimal shotgun), I received a B14 HMR in 6.5 CM last week. Vortex Viper 6 - 24 X 50 in Leupold rings & bases mounted & leveled. Now for a bit of favorable weather for barrel break-in and sighting-in. While I also bought a 20moa rail, I went with the high rings and separate bases for this first year that I don't expect to go beyond 300 yards. Once sighted-in, the next issue will be what ammo works best, eventually with the expectation of hand loading.

Much of my recent experience has been in Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette so load development and reaching out to 500m is nothing new to me. While some things will be common (wind reading, etc) a lot will be foreign (copper fouling rather than BP fouling). Using a modern scope rather than iron sights has been an easy transition.

Last edited:
One of the nice things about the 6.5 CM, is how little it take the wind compared to a 308W. I’m sure you’ll enjoy shooting the rifle (y)