• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14 HMR Wilderness won’t zero

RichardG

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2023
The Colony, TX
Good evening everyone, I’m having a problem with a pretty new Bergara B14 HMR Wilderness in 300 PRC. I bought it new in November and have put 260 rounds through it so far. The first 160 rounds were awesome, the first trip to the long range it had first round impact from 300 to 1760 yards with only one miss at 900. Couldn’t ask for better performance. A month ago at the long range it hit 800-1200 perfectly, dialed up to 1400 and it hasn’t shot right since. Without changing the turrets at all it shot between 20 ft above and 20 ft below the target at 1400. Backed down to 1000, then 500, same thing. I’ve cleaned it and cleaned it, removed and remounted scope (Vortex Strike Eagle 5x25x56), double and triple checked scope mounts and screws many times, tried it without a muzzle brake, taken barreled action off and checked recoil lug and checked mounting screws, everything I can think of and no difference, still wont even zero at 100 yards. I’ve also put the scope on a different rifle and it worked great, and put the one off the other rifle on the Bergara and no change. The problem stayed with the rifle and didn’t follow the scope. I’ve only put Hornady 225 grain ELD Match in it as variety for the 300 PRC ammunition is almost nonexistant. I bought a slew of new reloading equipment a couple of weeks ago.
I started shooting again about a year ago after a couple of decades away from it, so I looked at reviews for which rifle to get and settled on this one. Should I dump it at a pawn shop and let it be someone elses problem? I knew going in this is a cheap rifle, but I think I should get a little better dependability. Is it the 300 PRC caliber in general, do they have inherent problems? This afternoon my Hornady deluxe reloading kit, 300 prc and 6.5 creedmoor dies delivered, but I’m ready to return all of it, and sell all the guns and accessories I bought in the last year and never even look at another gun.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Definitely not an issue with the caliber. Did anything in particular happen right before you noticed the issue? What are the different rifles chambered in that you've tried the optic on? Have you tried another optic on the rifle? Have you tried a different lot of ammo, is the problem so far limited to one box?

Definitely not an issue with the caliber. Did anything in particular happen right before you noticed the issue? What are the different rifles chambered in that you've tried the optic on? Have you tried another optic on the rifle? Have you tried a different lot of ammo, is the problem so far limited to one box?
Good evening, nothing different, the prior weekends no signs of any issues, shot great. The day the problem started I had shot about 10 rounds. A few to confirm zero, then a few at 1000, 1100 and 1200. Good velocity for box ammo (2840-2902). It was when I went for the 1400 it started shooting bad. No warning whatsoever. The rifle I swapped scopes with is a Savage 110 Tactical left hand in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has a Diamondback Tactical 6x24x50. I haven’t tried any other optics. All the ammo I’ve used is the Hornady 225 grain ELD Match, I’ve thought about trying precision hunters just to see of they react bad too, since that’s one of the other few cartridges available until I get everything unboxed and start reloading. The lot number on every box is the same as well. It’s only the last 5 boxes and some of those were bought at the same time as the other boxes that shot well. I’ve wondered if there MAY be a problem with the scope, but the 6.5 creedmoor might not have enough recoil to cause an issue with the scope. I’ve already contacted Bergara as well and I’m waiting for them to reply with what to do. I’m also going to contact Vortex to see what they say. I checked and all the elevation and windage can be dialed on the scope and it tracks really well. I have a 30 MOA EGW rail on it as well. Thank you very much for the reply.

That is exactly why I asked what the caliber of the rifle you swapped the Vortex to was. I'm guessing at 1400 yards too you were getting close to the end of the turret no? Maybe some combination of this and the recoil, I am really not sure. I'd definitely try another optic on the rifle.

That is exactly why I asked what the caliber of the rifle you swapped the Vortex to was. I'm guessing at 1400 yards too you were getting close to the end of the turret no? Maybe some combination of this and the recoil, I am really not sure. I'd definitely try another optic on the rifle.
I double checked lot numbers on ammo, good thing because I was wrong in my previous reply about them being the same. I have tumbled all dirty brass except for three boxes I shot today. The three I shot today were lot 3223519. In my washed boxes I found two of the same number. That’s the exact amount I’ve been having trouble with! I can’t verify the other two were the ones that shot bad, but it makes sense! I’m going to look for a different batch somewhere and try that.
would a bad batch still have good velocity? Should I follow up with Hornady?
Bad ammo would make perfect since, open a fresh box and everything goes south.

In my previous life as a Space Shuttle engineer, we would install experiments all the time that worked and then all of a sudden didn't. The experimenters would always get freaked, and their first inclination was to pull the equipment, send it back to their lab and run a bunch of tests. Our first inclination was to first check the power. Nine times out of ten it was a crimped cable, erratic power supply, or loose connector.

When a rifle suddenly starts shooting that badly - and for you it was one shot to the next, so that certainly classifies as "suddenly" - nine times out of ten something broke or got loose. Start with the easy and move on to the tougher:

- Check the screws/mounting rail - by the way, did you bed it?
- Check that the scope mount/rings is appropriately torqued - both to the rail and scope
- Run a piece of paper between the barrel and chassis and make sure you've got clearance
- Check that action hasn't come loose from the chassis - remove the screws, pull the action, remount the action

Validate all that, then start looking at other things.

In another previous life I was an instrument-rated private pilot - I suppose I'm always an instrument-rated pilot, but I'm nowhere close to current. Anyway, on a flight, one of my radios started acting wonky about 30 minutes in. I asked the avionics shop to pull and test it. He said it was fine and that it must have been "pilot error." On the next flight, about 30 minutes in, it did the same thing. I told the avionics shop that it was likely a power issue. The guy scoffed and muttered something about "pilot error" again. I told him to install a loaner. Next flight, 30 minutes in... you guessed it. So I told him to check every cable, the power supply, and every connection. He called me shortly thereafter and told me he found a crimped cable. He replaced it and it worked perfectly. Imagine that.

Bad ammo would make perfect since, open a fresh box and everything goes south.

To be 20 feet high one shot and 20 feet low the next, that's a 40 feet spread. At 1400 yards, 1 mil is 1.4 yards (4.2 feet). 40 feet is just under 10 mil. If your ammo had enough variation to be + or - 5 mil, you'd likely be in the danger zone of either pressure or excessively low powder charge. To put it in perspective, you were probably only dialing in 12-14 mil to begin with. To pick up 5 mil on the high side, you'd have to be at better than 3300 fps. In other words, you'd be blowing your rifle up. On the low side, you'd only be somewhere between 2400 and 2500 fps - below the minimum charge for the round. You would definitely be able to feel that difference between the two. That kind of spread is not the ammo.

To be 20 feet high one shot and 20 feet low the next, that's a 40 feet spread. At 1400 yards, 1 mil is 1.4 yards (4.2 feet). 40 feet is just under 10 mil. If your ammo had enough variation to be + or - 5 mil, you'd likely be in the danger zone of either pressure or excessively low powder charge. To put it in perspective, you were probably only dialing in 12-14 mil to begin with. To pick up 5 mil on the high side, you'd have to be at better than 3300 fps. In other words, you'd be blowing your rifle up. On the low side, you'd only be somewhere between 2400 and 2500 fps - below the minimum charge for the round. You would definitely be able to feel that difference between the two. That kind of spread is not the ammo.
Good point about ammo, and recoil has felt pretty consistent when firing. A piece of paper can be slid between the barrel and stock. Scope, mounting rings, base and everything have been double checked. Removed action to check for debris or anything that could keep it from fitting ok. Seems to fit good. I haven’t bedded it yet. Do you think it’s possible something in the stock broke that I can’t see or feel and bedding would help fix? I’ll get a bedding kit if it’ll fix it. I could see it breaking something, 300 PRCs have a lot of energy.

Good point about ammo, and recoil has felt pretty consistent when firing. A piece of paper can be slid between the barrel and stock. Scope, mounting rings, base and everything have been double checked. Removed action to check for debris or anything that could keep it from fitting ok. Seems to fit good. I haven’t bedded it yet. Do you think it’s possible something in the stock broke that I can’t see or feel and bedding would help fix? I’ll get a bedding kit if it’ll fix it. I could see it breaking something, 300 PRCs have a lot of energy.

I doubt a lack of bedding (EDIT: the rail) would cause what you're seeing, but it's worth doing regardless. JB Weld, clear shoe polish, and about a day's worth of calendar time takes care of it. Plenty of videos on the web that show what to do. Well worth doing with a big recoiling round. With my first 300 PRC the rail got loose, and I attribute a lack of bedding as at least a factor. When I bedded it, it was clear that there was very little of the rail actually contacting the action. No issues after I bedded it.

Does the Wilderness have the 8x48 screws mounting the rail, or #6?

I now see that you said you double checked all the connections. If you haven't pulled things off, I would do so. Some breaks/cracks won't show until you pull stuff apart.

Last edited:
I doubt a lack of bedding (EDIT: the rail) would cause what you're seeing, but it's worth doing regardless. JB Weld, clear shoe polish, and about a day's worth of calendar time takes care of it. Plenty of videos on the web that show what to do. Well worth doing with a big recoiling round. With my first 300 PRC the rail got loose, and I attribute a lack of bedding as at least a factor. When I bedded it, it was clear that there was very little of the rail actually contacting the action. No issues after I bedded it.

Does the Wilderness have the 8x48 screws mounting the rail, or #6?

I now see that you said you double checked all the connections. If you haven't pulled things off, I would do so. Some breaks/cracks won't show until you pull stuff apart.
Yes, I’ve double and triple checked all mounting screws for the scope and the action to stock. Literally checked, removed and retorqued any and all applicable screws. Bergara responded and said the same thing, check all mounting screws.
im going to get a box of ammo from a different batch and if that doesn’t help I’m going to sell it and get something decent. If I’m already having problems with it then it’s got to go.
I was afraid this was going to happen, getting a low priced rifle. Guns are like tattoos, good ones aren’t cheap and cheap ones aren’t good. Shitty part is this gun performed so well at first that my next gun was going to be a Bergara competition in 6.5 CM. Lesson learned. Thanks a bunch for your help.

im going to get a box of ammo from a different batch and if that doesn’t help I’m going to sell it and get something decent.
You could also order some ammo from Copper Creek - would recommend ordering some that has a bullet other than Hornady polymer tips (e.g. A Tips or Berger)

If I’m already having problems with it then it’s got to go.
I was afraid this was going to happen, getting a low priced rifle. Guns are like tattoos, good ones aren’t cheap and cheap ones aren’t good. Shitty part is this gun performed so well at first that my next gun was going to be a Bergara competition in 6.5 CM. Lesson learned. Thanks a bunch for your help.
Bergara actually makes pretty good rifles. This is definitely an outlier. That said, once you go custom... :)

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
It sounds like a broken scope to me.
They mentioned they swapped optics and the issue still persisted on this rifle. The old scope was put onto a different rifle and seemed to function fine. Still, could sent it to Vortex to verify.

They mentioned they swapped optics and the issue still persisted on this rifle. The old scope was put onto a different rifle and seemed to function fine. Still, could sent it to Vortex to verify.
Maybe I missed it. I tried looking for that, reread it, seems like he would have but I still didn't see where he said that.

If he did, disregard. I may have confused what he said.

Actually, he took the scope and put it on another rifle. One more check would be bringing another scope to this rifle. It is possible, though unlikely, that the rail is bending due to not bedding it, and you get wonkiness because of the stress on the scope tube.

I’ve also put the scope on a different rifle and it worked great, and put the one off the other rifle on the Bergara and no change. The problem stayed with the rifle and didn’t follow the scope.

He mentioned it here in his first post. Looks like he swapped scopes between the rifles and the issue stayed with the 300 Rifle.
Generally, the largest variable is the shooter. Do you have a friend who can shoot the rifle when it starts showing these issues to see if the problem remains or stops with a new shooter? Just trying to check variables off the list.

Good evening all, and sorry for the late reply. I took everything apart again and retorqued Picatinny rail to the action, torqued rings and scope. I removed action from the stock and took a look again. Action sets into the stock ok. It doesn’t teeter totter on the recoil lug or anything and tightened both screws to 55 lbs with a coworkers torque wrench I borrowed to rule out mine. I’ll get a box of ammo from a different place that’s a different batch and see what happens. A different coworker is going to let me borrow a known good 3x9 Bushnell I can try. Some of my reloading stuff has come in, the Hornady deluxe reloading kit, Hornady match grade dies for both guns, still waiting on the runout gauge and trimmer to come in. I will try to make my own ammo if it all shows up soon and the gun stores around me have powder, primers and bullets.

So what was the outcome of your dilemma with your Bergara? It has a lifetime warranty doesn’t it? Did you send it in to Bergara to get checked?

To the OP - are you resting the barrel on something when you shoot or from a bipod mounted to the stock? If I missed that, sorry.

So what was the outcome of your dilemma with your Bergara? It has a lifetime warranty doesn’t it? Did you send it in to Bergara to get checked?
Good evening, it’s actually at Bergara now. Second attempt to get them to look at it. Not impressed with them so far. As of Thursday it was still in processing. Hoping to hear something by the end of the week. Sent scope off to Vortex, got it back with a clean bill of health. Still had same problem. I’m thinking maybe headspace. But how can headspace be a problem if it’s shooting good then bad. Doesn’t matter, no matter what the problem ends up being I’m trading it in on something reliable. it’s been functioning normally for about 25% of the time I’ve had it. I just want to get it back so I can say I didn’t sell or trade a known defective rifle. Probably going to get a Ruger Precision Rifle in 300 PRC. Going to get a new 6.5CM first though, of which I’m going to ask for advice as to which one to get.

Good evening, it’s actually at Bergara now. Second attempt to get them to look at it. Not impressed with them so far. As of Thursday it was still in processing. Hoping to hear something by the end of the week. Sent scope off to Vortex, got it back with a clean bill of health. Still had same problem. I’m thinking maybe headspace. But how can headspace be a problem if it’s shooting good then bad. Doesn’t matter, no matter what the problem ends up being I’m trading it in on something reliable. it’s been functioning normally for about 25% of the time I’ve had it. I just want to get it back so I can say I didn’t sell or trade a known defective rifle. Probably going to get a Ruger Precision Rifle in 300 PRC. Going to get a new 6.5CM first though, of which I’m going to ask for advice as to which one to get.
Thanks for the update. I was thinking of buying a Bergara. Now I am not sure. Seems like most people got a good one. I would like to hear if any others are having issues with a newer Bergara

the non custom answer is always tikka

and def not an RPR

Thanks for the update. I was thinking of buying a Bergara. Now I am not sure. Seems like most people got a good one. I would like to hear if any others are having issues with a newer Bergara
Whenever I get an update from Bergara, I'm really hoping to hear something end of this week. What makes it really bad is that I tried reaching out to them once before and just got blown off. I can't recommend a Bergara after my experience. Their customer service has been less than adequate, and even if they identify the problem and fix it I just can't bring myself to keep using it anymore. If I take it shooting and everything's OK and then I start having problems is going to be another month or so before I can even get rid of it. I know a lot of people who have Bergaras and wouldn't have anything else, though.

Good evening, sorry for the long time since a reply but I just heard back from bergara this morning. They said the gunsmith it was assigned to tried everything and couldn't get it to shoot correctly. The rep said to email him a copy of my receipt and they'll send me a refund. He also said they're having lots of problems with 300 PRCs. I'm going to look at a Ruger RPR and Savage Elite Precision. Shooting is just a hobby (behind my Harleys) and I'm not looking for a custom rifle for competition. If anyone knows of a very accurate, consistent rifle under 2k in 300 prc I'm all ears. Thanks to everyone's input and help. I wish it would've gotten resolved so I could have passed on something helpful.

Good evening, sorry for the long time since a reply but I just heard back from bergara this morning. They said the gunsmith it was assigned to tried everything and couldn't get it to shoot correctly. The rep said to email him a copy of my receipt and they'll send me a refund. He also said they're having lots of problems with 300 PRCs. I'm going to look at a Ruger RPR and Savage Elite Precision. Shooting is just a hobby (behind my Harleys) and I'm not looking for a custom rifle for competition. If anyone knows of a very accurate, consistent rifle under 2k in 300 prc I'm all ears. Thanks to everyone's input and help. I wish it would've gotten resolved so I could have passed on something helpful.
My Barrett MRAD and 300-PRC barrel are a 1-mile steel-dinging machine. Sorry ... it's "not" under $2K.

Interesting "solution" from Bergara. That's like admitting defeat.

Did they even offer to replace your Bergara with a new one or are you burnt out on Bergara?

You could build a Zermatt Origin in .300 PRC for right around $2k, maybe another $2-300 if you watch the PX for deals on a barreled action and stock. It'll take a while to get but it's doable.

Reactions: Rocketmandb
You could build a Zermatt Origin in .300 PRC for right around $2k, maybe another $2-300 if you watch the PX for deals on a barreled action and stock. It'll take a while to get but it's doable.
I'll check that out, and maybe other custom build. All I'll use it for is for 1500+yard shots. I like the idea of just getting one off the shelf and getting to it.

I'm going to look at a Ruger RPR and Savage Elite Precision. Shooting is just a hobby (behind my Harleys) and I'm not looking for a custom rifle for competition.

I'm not a fan of either of those rifles, and you don't need to be in competition to justify a custom rifle. For me, it's about reliability, quality and overall sturdiness.

For a "custom" you could realistically pay:

Origin barreled action: $1675 @ PVA in 300 PRC - and you can get a nice, heavy barrel contour
Trigger: Anywhere from $150 on up
Chassis: Wide range, starting at $450 for a long action KRG Bravo (current price @ Midway)
Muzzle brake: Wide variety - call it $150

This puts you at just under $2500, not counting shipping and tax, for a rifle that would be head and shoulders better than any factory offering. It's also something you could upgrade over time if the urge arises (trigger, chassis).

Also, don't be shied away from assembling this yourself. It is criminally easy to do with these components - and plenty of videos out there to give you instruction and confidence.

Some people are selling very nice complete rifles at the $2500-2900 range so finding one a little lower is doable.
I'll check that out, and maybe other custom build. All I'll use it for is for 1500+yard shots. I like the idea of just getting one off the shelf and getting to it.
I've just started a project of my own based on an Origin action. So far the action is very impressive. They're supposedly very easy to set up with a few basic tools and headspace gauges to make sure your barrel is okay, and you're off.