• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara b14 HMR

Patty

Team MDT | Team Leupold
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Northern VA
I recently received my new Bergara b14 HMR In 6.5 creed and I've received a ton of questions from people about it, but haven't seen much on the web outside of shot show coverage. So here's my rifle, and I'd be glad to answer any questions.

A couple observations....
The stock, though it is very reminiscent of a manners etc, is no where near as beefy, you can flex the fore end without a ton of effort. But it is quite comfortable and the adjustments are easy and solid. I probably won't change the stock until I rebarrel it and need to make room for a barrel nut.

The front sling studs are a little farther apart than most, about 3.2" and will require an Accushot BT17 rail (waiting on mine) to mount an atlas bipod or any other pic mounted bipod.

i put a timney 517 in it, with zero issues. They say the stock trigger can only adjust down to 2.8 but it felt really good to me out of the box, crisp with no creep. If I didn't already have the 517, I would have let it be.

Attachments

• photo49934.jpg
    photo49934.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Thank you for posting. I have been curious about these and they look like a nice rifle. Would you be able to post some more pictures of the action? I'm thinking this might be my next purchase. What are your thoughts on the action?

Just ran a steel challenge with it today, it shot great and I had no problem hitting 6" steel plates out to 900 yards.

Reactions: Scoutabout
Real simple question, is the stock as brown in person as it is on their website?

Reactions: stephen r
Real simple question, is the stock as brown in person as it is on their website?

Its not an orangey saddle brown that it looks like on their website, it is closer to a milk chocolate brown or cerakote patriot brown. An actual brown.

I've got one coming in for review, looking forward to getting it in my hands. I think it has a great feature set and price point when you compare it against something like the Tikka T3X, except magazines aren't $100+ and it can use common Remington 700 rails and stocks.

Reactions: racerfrey
I'm Seriously looking at the HMR and the BMP, looking forward to any reviews. If the accuracy is there this could be a really good entry rifle.

I'm Seriously looking at the HMR and the BMP, looking forward to any reviews. If the accuracy is there this could be a really good entry rifle.

Here's my take on it, and why i sold the HMR.... I dont hunt, and i feel that the HMR (hunting and match rifle) stands true to its name. The compromise they made with the 22" barrel, makes it a great rifle for matches and hunting. But since i only planned to shoot matches with it, it made more sense to me to sell it to fund an action for my dedicated match build.

That said, the quality is great, the accuracy is there, and the feature list is long for the price tag. Its a great rifle, but if your primary use is shooting LR matches, go with the BMP. It sports a 24" barrel, and a barrel nut so you can change it if youd like without any trouble or having to change stocks/chassis.

Just FYI. i was getting 2669 Avg MV out of the 22" with factory hornady 140gr eld m.

Last edited:
Patruck825, thanks for posting about the HMR. Although I haven't seen or held one yet all my research tells me that your assessment is dead on. Glad to hear the accuracy and quality is good. I am definitely leaning more towards the BMP but could end up with both.

Thanks for the info, looks like they did their homework on these and its a good deal. Anyone know which barrel nut the BMP uses?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I also picked one of these up... currently fitting one of our MISB barrels "1.25" to it.... I'll have it at NRAAM.

Attachments

• 17230218_10154414656630886_522819537_o.jpg
    17230218_10154414656630886_522819537_o.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 409
I also picked one of these up... currently fitting one of our MISB barrels "1.25" to it.... I'll have it at NRAAM.

i assume you had to inlet the stock for that, how was that being polymer and all?

i assume you had to inlet the stock for that, how was that being polymer and all?
We were more concerned about digging into the flushmounts and aluminum. But it turned out pretty well. Still has some finishing work to be done. I'll post finished pictures when I have them.

Attachments

• photo51121.jpg
    photo51121.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 466
  • photo51122.jpg
    photo51122.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 502
  • photo51123.jpg
    photo51123.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 452
Thanks for the little write up. I actually just bought the HMR with the 24" barrel at Bass Pro Shop. I already had the BMP-14. Can't wait to shoot the HMR.

Reactions: MNVKNG
i was gonna pull the trigger on the 308 version today from buds, but i just can't right now... they WILL price match Hinterland Outfitters in Houston. for the 308 version. hope that helps someone else

I got a 6.5, and put an Area 419 brake on it. First time out I got 100 yard, 3 shot groups of 5/8" with factory Hornady 140 ELD-M. This rifle has some potential. This rifle may some potential. The barrel did heat up after about 8 shots.

I'm trying to find a bore guide for the Bergara B-14 BMP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've checked many places including the Bore Guide Chart on Possum Hollow Products website and have not been able to locate one.

Since both the HMR and BMP use the same action, what guide do you use?

Check out Possum Hollow bore guide #13 on amazon ... the questions section! I ordered the HP guide #5 incorrectly but Eric the owner of PH is super active and responsive to all questions re. his products on amazon. He corrected me and advised the #13 bore guide fits the B-14 HMR. He will aslo build you a custom guide if he doesn't have one that fits for the same cost of the standard ones he sells!

To those who own or have owned the B14 HMR, does it have an integral recoil lug? Some online pics I’ve seen of the action out of the stock make it look like the recoil lug is integral, but just wanted to verify. Also, have any of you guys needed to bed the action/lug...?

To those who own or have owned the B14 HMR, does it have an integral recoil lug? Some online pics I’ve seen of the action out of the stock make it look like the recoil lug is integral, but just wanted to verify. Also, have any of you guys needed to bed the action/lug...?

its not integral, but it is recessed into the face of the action. so it is flush with the face of the action rather than on top like a traditional 700 design.

Someone asked for how the groups looked on paper. They look like this at the CMP range in Talladega.
bdaa17eed42e59f17d2cb17f58a0ac25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scoutabout
What size scope rings did you end up with? I’m trying to figure out the height for a 34mm tube 50mm bell and a 20 moa base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size scope rings did you end up with? I’m trying to figure out the height for a 34mm tube 50mm bell and a 20 moa base.

i used .92 height rings with a 34mm tube and 56mm obj and 20 moa base. it was plenty low, you could use the same on yours and it would be perfect.

Reactions: JPDJPD
One more question, do any of you guys know what the muzzle diameter is on the 22” 6.5 CM B14 HMR? I’m thinking of getting either this or their BMP and am going to use it in local matches (200-1000 yds) but the barrel contour looks a little on the slim side compared to what I would like to run... but I’m just curious if any of you guys know.? Hoping for a .80” +. Anyways thanks!

Do the HMR’s use picatinny scope rails for 8x40 screws...? Or is it a different size screw?

Any word on if the Begara’s drop in standard 700 chassis? I know lowlight had one in a Cadex chassis at one point, but I don’t know if it was custom or standard 700. I believe they take standard 700 triggered too?

Any thoughts on this?
http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_hmr_pro_rifle.php
Looks to up the game quite a bit for about 5-600 bucks. Stainless action and barrel, both are from their premier line, 24” barrel for the 6.5, ceracoated, trigger tech trigger. Looks legit, will be interesting to see what the true cost is after shot show and to see if it’s worth the cost over the original

Reactions: ENDURO-JOE
Any thoughts on this?
[video]http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_hmr_pro_rifle.php[/video]
Looks to up the game quite a bit for about 5-600 bucks. Stainless action and barrel, both are from their premier line, 24” barrel for the 6.5, ceracoated, trigger tech trigger. Looks legit, will be interesting to see what the true cost is after shot show and to see if it’s worth the cost over the original

Interesting- expanding the caliber selection to include .223, 22-250 & 6CM

Just handled one of these at a store today. Although it was the BMP version. Bolt was very smooth, I actually liked it more than my Tikka. Trigger was light but had rough creep to it. Was not impressed with the trigger at all.

Do the BMP and HMR use the same barrel contour?

Looks nice. I was just looking at one of these on line and thinking it may be the 223 I have been looking for. What Cal is yours? Could we get you to follow up with what you think about it after you shoot it for the first time?
Also, Bergara mentions a specific Pic rail for scope mounting that doesn't seem to be on their website. How are you going to attach a scope to the rifle??

Just handled one of these at a store today. Although it was the BMP version. Bolt was very smooth, I actually liked it more than my Tikka. Trigger was light but had rough creep to it. Was not impressed with the trigger at all.

Do the BMP and HMR use the same barrel contour?
Sorry; BPS not BMP

Has anyone re-barreled an HMR yet? I'm intereted to know if a barrel but fits in the original stock. I've been reading about both the HMR and the RPR and trying to decide between the two.

Has anyone re-barreled an HMR yet? I'm intereted to know if a barrel but fits in the original stock. I've been reading about both the HMR and the RPR and trying to decide between the two.

The HMR is a better choice. Smoother action, better trigger, smaller groups. Bergara barrels are excellent and the current cost for Bergara to rebarrel is $500 including cerakote of the barrel. With that, you can get different calibers and profiles as well. To me, that is one of the benefits of the Bergara line.

The HMR is a better choice. Smoother action, better trigger, smaller groups. Bergara barrels are excellent and the current cost for Bergara to rebarrel is $500 including cerakote of the barrel. With that, you can get different calibers and profiles as well. To me, that is one of the benefits of the Bergara line.

That's good to hear. I have played with both and leaned to the HMR. I am stepping into 6.5cm so it is unfamiliar territory for me but I know the barrels wear out faster then 5.56 and 7.62 so I like to know what I'm sticking my nose into.

I've shot one in 6.5 a few times, my best friend got one. It's quite a shooter. The pro series is all stainless and has a trigger tech out the box. They are all very very smooth compared to a 700. Debated the HMR vs my tikka CTR. Ended up with CTR but having shot one recently I almost wish I'd gotten the Bergara because I ended up buying the KRG chassis for my CTR. Wouldn't have done that with the Bergara.

Buy it you'll love it.

Are you guys still having luck with your b14 HMR? I was debating on selling my RPR and trying one of these. Nothing wrong with my Ruger I just like how these look better.

Bender,
I have one in a 6.5 that I picked up last October. I really like the rifle and it shoots better than another 6.5 i have that cost a bit more. The trigger on mine is very nice, crisp, and light. I have only used factory ammo through it up to this point and it groups very well with Hornady 140 ELD-M.
We were shooting 6" plates on a dueling tree at 580 yards Sat with a mid value BDC reticle scope and had consistent hits, one after the other.
Just my experience with it so far.
Chris

Reactions: Bender
Are you guys still having luck with your b14 HMR? I was debating on selling my RPR and trying one of these. Nothing wrong with my Ruger I just like how these look better.

I had an RPR and then bought my HMR a few months later. After I realized I wasn’t taking the RPR out of the safe anymore I sold it. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the Bergara.
8FC1FD52-4329-4685-B222-752DD80CD876.jpeg
9CEB07E4-405A-4808-8B14-38DFFA5255B0.jpeg

Reactions: Bender