• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara b14 hunter

ssimpson7777

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2021
North Carolina
I have a Bergara b14 hunter and the bolt is very loose when not in battery. This bolt is so loose that I can pusp it forward a good 16th of an inch. The bolt is tight when it's in battery due to the trigger lock up. This is the only bolt rifle that I've ever owned that does this. I called Bergara customer service and they told me that this is normal on all Bergara bolt actions. The sad part is I paid nearly $800 for his rifle and I have a Mossberg Patriot that cost $300 and it has a nice tight bolt lock up. My concern is that the bolt lug has a lot of play. Has anyone else experienced this with Bergara rifles?

Last edited:
I have 3 of them and have not noticed this. A little movement on an empty bolt can be normal as it has nothing to hold it into place other than the lugs. The bolt is not what the barrel is head spaced off of. It is head spaced off of the cartridge. If you are concerned get a set of Go/No Go gauges. If it shoots and holds a group don’t worry about it.

I have 3 of them and have not noticed this. A little movement on an empty bolt can be normal as it has nothing to hold it into place other than the lugs. The bolt is not what the barrel is head spaced off of. It is head spaced off of the cartridge. If you are concerned get a set of Go/No Go gauges. If it shoots and holds a group don’t worry about it.
I have shot the gun and that's not my complaint. All of my bolt gun's have nice tight bolts everything from a Weatherby Mark 5 on the high end to a Mossberg Patriot on the low end even my trusty Remington 700 that's over 30 years old and has more rounds put through it then I could ever count still has a nice tight bolt. The point I was trying to make is that a higher prices firearm like the Bergara should have better tolerances then the one I have. I can't believe my $300 Mossberg has a better feeling action then my $800 B14.

• Haha
Reactions: atepointer
I have shot the gun and that's not my complaint. All of my bolt gun's have nice tight bolts everything from a Weatherby Mark 5 on the high end to a Mossberg Patriot on the low end even my trusty Remington 700 that's over 30 years old and has more rounds put through it then I could ever count still has a nice tight bolt. The point I was trying to make is that a higher prices firearm like the Bergara should have better tolerances then the one I have. I can't believe my $300 Mossberg has a better feeling action then my $800 B14.
But does it shoot as well or better than the Patriot?

Tight bolts on an empty chamber aren't really a selling point in rifles, are they?

Reactions: Defender32
I think you're worrying about something that's not actually a problem just because it's different. I was kind of taken aback when I first noticed it in my rifle too, but realized it's different, but not bad.
If you think about what effects accuracy it's axial alignment. Bolt in line with action->in line with barrel. If the bolt and cartridge are leaning side to side relative to the bore that could be a problem. but if its just front to back and everything is still in line, no effect on accuracy. As long as your headspace is good just think of it as extra clearance for reliability, because that's what it is. Got an unburned grain of stick powder floating around in your locking lugs? No problem, plenty of room for the bolt to push it out of the way. Little bit of mud or a twig stuck in between the bolt handle and receiver? Same thing.
It does seem weird that Bergara would choose to both have a lot of clearance at the bolt nose, and use a coned breach rather than a standard "anyone can make one" recessed R700 breach. Not that its any different to the machine making the cuts, but people don't have the specs for Bergara's as often as for the Remington.

Tight bolts on an empty chamber aren't really a selling point in rifles, are they?

No not really and to be honest the Mossberg's groups are a little tighter. Both gun's are in 308 with the same barrel length. Don't get me wrong I'm no Patriot fan boy by any means I'm just using it as a price slash quality comparison. I own over 20 bolt gun's and I've been shooting for over 35 years I think I know a little on the subject.

If you know so much then why are you asking the questions here? Buy a set of Go/ No Go gauges and prove the point all is great. Smoothest factory bolt there possibly is. I can say all me Bergara’s are Premier Series accept 1 Wilderness Terrain. Then a Rimfire. Function is flawless, smooth as silk and just flat out perform.
Sell it to a buddy or trade it in for something else. All the money spent on the rifle isn’t for the bolt to close tight. It’s for the gun to function flawless, look great and be a better Rem 700 platform in a factory gun.

If you know so much then why are you asking the questions here? Buy a set of Go/ No Go gauges and prove the point all is great. Smoothest factory bolt there possibly is. I can say all me Bergara’s are Premier Series accept 1 Wilderness Terrain. Then a Rimfire. Function is flawless, smooth as silk and just flat out perform.
Sell it to a buddy or trade it in for something else. All the money spent on the rifle isn’t for the bolt to close tight. It’s for the gun to function flawless, look great and be a better Rem 700 platform in a factory gun.
For your information I do have go/no go gauges and as I said I have shot the gun that's not the issue I have it's the lack of tolerances. If Bergara is going to clone a Remington 700 they should have at least the same or better specks.

For your information I do have go/no go gauges and as I said I have shot the gun that's not the issue I have it's the lack of tolerances. If Bergara is going to clone a Remington 700 they should have at least the same or better specks.
But it’s not a clone. It’s the same footprint, but the bolt/receiver/barrel interface is all very different. Hence why it feels different.

Reactions: Defender32
The Bergara is not an EXACT copy of the 700, what you are describing has ZERO affect on the rifles performance.
You seem to have found something you dislike on the rifle that in your mind is BAD and are making baseless statements about the rifles
lack of tolerances when you have NO idea what the tolerances are.

The Bergara is not an EXACT copy of the 700, what you are describing has ZERO affect on the rifles performance.
You seem to have found something you dislike on the rifle that in your mind is BAD and are making baseless statements about the rifles
lack of tolerances when you have NO idea what the tolerances are.
You have your opinion and I have mine. The reason for asking the question in the first place was to see if other B14 owner's was expecting the same problem.

There is no problem in the rifle. The feel to you is different. That in its self is the problem in your head. You are expecting it to be the same as XYZ Company. If it was the same 1 MFG would make all the actions & bolts then sell them to the Brands to mark them how they want and sell them how they please. Thats not how any of this works.

Last edited:
All bolt action rifles have some back and forth play in the bolt when uncocked on an empty chamber.

It's not a lack of tolerance. More ignorance. It's a larger than you're used to clearance, and on that clearance there is likely a very tight tolerance.

A Bergara Hunter runs about $699, how in the world is that a “higher priced” rifle. I also find it really hard to believe that a Mossberg Patriot groups better unless you are running ammo the lMossberg loved and the Bergara hates. I will take your “problem” rifle off your hands. Feel free to PM me with a fair price considering it has this “issue.”

Still waiting on that PM on my most gracious and generous offer to buy your Bergara with its “issue”. Out of curiosity, since you stated your Mossberg is grouping better, what kind of groups are you getting with each? 1/2 MOA, 1 MOA, 4 MOA, 10 MOA? Please, let us know.

Reactions: Johnny00K
Still waiting on that PM on my most gracious and generous offer to buy your Bergara with its “issue”. Out of curiosity, since you stated your Mossberg is grouping better, what kind of groups are you getting with each? 1/2 MOA, 1 MOA, 4 MOA, 10 MOA? Please, let us know.
Your rifle is only as accurate as you are.. so probably somewhere between the 4 and 10...:LOL:

Weird, OP posted in another thread bashing Bergara and that wasn’t good enough so he started this thread. Now he went MIA. Too bad, I wanted to hear exactly how his Patriot groups vs Hunter groups were.

Weird, OP posted in another thread bashing Bergara and that wasn’t good enough so he started this thread. Now he went MIA. Too bad, I wanted to hear exactly how his Patriot groups vs Hunter groups were.
Maybe b/c it never happened and he is just one of those people who enjoys trolling forums to stir it up? The Hide has been bombarded with a lot of that the past year commensurate with one day join, go off rails insanity and banned with a week or less. The fact he pouted and ran off shows he's got the intellect of an orange peel....didn't get the reactions he wanted which was piling on Bergara so he threw down the righteous indignation rant and left....after getting called out.

Reactions: ffjoey
Maybe b/c it never happened and he is just one of those people who enjoys trolling forums to stir it up? The Hide has been bombarded with a lot of that the past year commensurate with one day join, go off rails insanity and banned with a week or less. The fact he pouted and ran off shows he's got the intellect of an orange peel....didn't get the reactions he wanted which was piling on Bergara so he threw down the righteous indignation rant and left....after getting called out.
That’s pretty much my same thoughts. Hell, I even offered to buy his Bergara.

I was hoping to see proof since he knew so much. Groups would have been nice to know as well. He must be but hurt that he really don’t have a problem just wanted to make a problem. Maybe he will sho back up and enlighten us all.

I was hoping to see proof since he knew so much. Groups would have been nice to know as well. He must be but hurt that he really don’t have a problem just wanted to make a problem. Maybe he will sho back up and enlighten us all.
My guess is he stays hidden under his rock until everyone forgets what a dumbass he sounded like in this and the other thread.

Do you have any space in your ego which would allow to you consider what you *think* you know is in fact wrong? Or are you a proverbial 'askhole'?
This is just plain rude. The man owns a Mossberg Patriot so he ObViOuSlY has exceptional taste, knowledge and experience in firearms. Hell, he even said himself that he's shot for over 35 years, that's gotta put him in at least the top 10 shooters in the country?? Right??? Right???

This is just plain rude. The man owns a Mossberg Patriot so he ObViOuSlY has exceptional taste, knowledge and experience in firearms. Hell, he even said himself that he's shot for over 35 years, that's gotta put him in at least the top 10 shooters in the country?? Right??? Right???
I still want to relieve him of his problem rifle.

Reactions: ChadG460
Lol, I hope you get it. I was trying to buy another Bergara in the other thread. For being so mad at their rifles they sure don't want to sell them.
Yeah, “this rifle suck” then someone offers to buy it and crickets. Funny

I saw that, I’m about to up the ante! Lol
Fuck man!!!This Defiance action is faulty too!!!! Should I start a thread flaming them???? Is this why the last time I shot it I could only get a .198" group in 10mph wind??? What should I do??? HELP!!!!