• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Bergara B14-R Feedback Please

The4GunGuy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2018
If you have a Bergara 22LR B14-R, I'd like to know:
0) Any feeding issues and if so what have you had to do to correct them?
1) What you like or don't like about it?
2) What chassis your running it in and how it's working out?
3) Accuracy out to 300 yds that you've achieved?
4) The ammo you're using for best results (brand, specific round)?
5) How smooth is the bolt?
6) Anything else you can tell me
I'm over Vudoo folks and looking to move on. The biggest issue is the bolt in the action...It's way too loose for me and not smooth at all. I also continue to have feeding issues and YES, I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING...and if you know me, you know I have, but that action just doesn't work for me any longer. Thanks.

Ran one for a year or so in NRL22 before I went Annie.

No feeding issues ever.
Great rifle, just wanted a lightweight bolt, more of a purposed designed 22 rather than a center fire replica.
I used the stock HMR stock.
Never shot group at 300 really, just gathered dope at anything past 100. All ammo and rifle evaluation done at 50 yards. Shot under 1MOA most of the time with Center-X and SK LRM.
Bolt was smooth enough.

If you want a 700 replica type 22, it’s the best one I’ve found. I really didn’t like the reliability of the Vudoo and Rim-X guns I got to shoot occasionally.

If a smooth actin is important to you, it’s nearly impossible to beat Anschutz.

Ran one for a year or so in NRL22 before I went Annie.

No feeding issues ever.
Great rifle, just wanted a lightweight bolt, more of a purposed designed 22 rather than a center fire replica.
I used the stock HMR stock.
Never shot group at 300 really, just gathered dope at anything past 100. All ammo and rifle evaluation done at 50 yards. Shot under 1MOA most of the time with Center-X and SK LRM.
Bolt was smooth enough.

If you want a 700 replica type 22, it’s the best one I’ve found. I really didn’t like the reliability of the Vudoo and Rim-X guns I got to shoot occasionally.

If a smooth actin is important to you, it’s nearly impossible to beat Anschutz.
Thanks for the feedback 1911!

I have one. Only shot about 100 rounds so far. Bolt lift is still stiff as it’s new. Like a factory 700 in larger caliber. Nothing close to my Tikka T3X’s. I had a handful of failure to eject. Just staked the ejector the other day. Supposed to fix the issue. Haven’t shot since

I did order a Tikka T1X the other day as well. If the Tikka T1X vs Bergara B14R in .22 proves to be an equal comparison to my T3X vs 700 pattern guns the B14R will likely get sold. Unless it turns out to be next level accuracy compared to the tikka

I personally like the feel my tikka actions with the short bolt throw and overall smoothness compared to any 700 platform I’ve shot. Factory or customs

Overall the B14R feels like a very solid well built rifle though. Mine is the steel barrel version. So far accuracy with SK long range (only match ammo I fired through it) looks extremely promising

Few 50 yard groups
45104808-AA8B-4880-B6C4-C40AC06E7FD9.jpeg

3AB32B49-404A-4BE3-87B5-B20F15519588.jpeg

Last edited:
i own the carbon barrel B14 R only 300 rounds through it i will post a few pics.

0 feed/extract/eject issues
1 love the gun and the price
2 bone stock as it came outta the box
3 have only shot to 100yds but was shooting twigs in half and stacking rounds on rocks
4 norma tac 22 shoots as well as my vudoo did with high end ammo, the tac 22 is all ive tried as it shoots so good
5 the bolt is smooth as far as running it but a little tight when closing but will most likely lighten up a bit with use.

i forgot my bipod....these are all 10 shot groups at 50yds and from the first 300 rounds through the gun.

Attachments

• 4E3BB18D-F113-4FDE-ABAD-CF151CA93515.jpeg
    4E3BB18D-F113-4FDE-ABAD-CF151CA93515.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 3135D93D-8C58-40AE-ACEA-7D416C2271EF.jpeg
    3135D93D-8C58-40AE-ACEA-7D416C2271EF.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 264B5EA3-7B22-476D-9D13-241CCC8B76D4.jpeg
    264B5EA3-7B22-476D-9D13-241CCC8B76D4.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 749C855B-895F-483B-A33E-EC2463EC11AE.jpeg
    749C855B-895F-483B-A33E-EC2463EC11AE.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 9081461E-795D-4728-876D-4CC0AB8EAB88.jpeg
    9081461E-795D-4728-876D-4CC0AB8EAB88.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 48
FB_IMG_1602473607225.jpg

0. Carbon B14R placed immediately into my centerfire's junk out of the box. Has been practically perfect in function. I know others with other shit don't. But mine runs great and shoots pretty good.

I am having what I believe to be a ammo related issues right now. Gun hasn't been shooting too hot lately.

Past 50yd performance....
20220704_135854.jpg

20220618_224942.jpg

20220702_202625.jpg

Rifle is broke in and definitely needs to be warmed up out of the bag. Which is the most annoying thing.

1. Carbon barrel doesn't like my suppressor. At 50yds....8 mil shift down and 7 mil right off unsuppressed zero.

Oofta.

2. Pretty obvious what it is....and its perfect.

3. Can't really quantify that for you. I'm sure its on par with any other B14R. I live in a pretty windy place and so groups on paper doesn't excite me. I'm sure I've kept it on the 6" plate in calm conditions for 10 rounds at least once. Definitely have shot 2.5" x 3" plate at 200 consistently.

4. Best 100yd groups were achieved with center x. Although I don't run that shit cuz I'm poor.

5. Smooth enough for me. I'm not an internet crybaby that moans about bolt lift. Gun has +5000-ish rounds through it since May 2019. I think any jackass who gives there opinion about smoothness when they haven't even shot 4 bricks isn't worth listening to. Guns need reps (aided with lube) to smooth out.

6. I don't know what to tell you. If your Vudoo sucks. Send it back to them and get them to address it. You paid enough for it.

Doubt downgrading to a rifle with half the purchase price will make you happy if the Vudoo didn't. These guns are right where they belong in terms of cost versus performance I think.

Plenty of people have posted parts breakages especially in the newer guns it seems. But Bergara does fix their stuff promptly from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnaples
i own the carbon barrel B14 R only 300 rounds through it i will post a few pics.

0 feed/extract/eject issues
1 love the gun and the price
2 bone stock as it came outta the box
3 have only shot to 100yds but was shooting twigs in half and stacking rounds on rocks
4 norma tac 22 shoots as well as my vudoo did with high end ammo, the tac 22 is all ive tried as it shoots so good
5 the bolt is smooth as far as running it but a little tight when closing but will most likely lighten up a bit with use.
Thanks LR!

View attachment 8015084

0. Carbon B14R placed immediately into my centerfire's junk out of the box. Has been practically perfect in function. I know others with other shit don't. But mine runs great and shoots pretty good.

I am having what I believe to be a ammo related issues right now. Gun hasn't been shooting too hot lately.

Past 50yd performance....
View attachment 8015091

View attachment 8015092

View attachment 8015094

Rifle is broke in and definitely needs to be warmed up out of the bag. Which is the most annoying thing.

1. Carbon barrel doesn't like my suppressor. At 50yds....8 mil shift down and 7 mil right off unsuppressed zero.

Oofta.

2. Pretty obvious what it is....and its perfect.

3. Can't really quantify that for you. I'm sure its on par with any other B14R. I live in a pretty windy place and so groups on paper doesn't excite me. I'm sure I've kept it on the 6" plate in calm conditions for 10 rounds at least once. Definitely have shot 2.5" x 3" plate at 200 consistently.

4. Best 100yd groups were achieved with center x. Although I don't run that shit cuz I'm poor.

5. Smooth enough for me. I'm not an internet crybaby that moans about bolt lift. Gun has +5000-ish rounds through it since May 2019. I think any jackass who gives there opinion about smoothness when they haven't even shot 4 bricks isn't worth listening to. Guns need reps (aided with lube) to smooth out.

6. I don't know what to tell you. If your Vudoo sucks. Send it back to them and get them to address it. You paid enough for it.

Doubt downgrading to a rifle with half the purchase price will make you happy if the Vudoo didn't. These guns are right where they belong in terms of cost versus performance I think.

Plenty of people have posted parts breakages especially in the newer guns it seems. But Bergara does fix their stuff promptly from what I've seen.
Man, thanks for the details DF! I agree with bolt lift, it's tight on my Vudoo so not a problem...I'm used to it. And trust me, I'm not blaming the rifle for me missing the target, this thing is a tack driver. But, when I have issues EVERY time I shoot a match and I've take real good care of the rifle, it's just frustrating. Anyway, also agree with your last statement about downgrading, but I'm where I am now in the sport and most likely out of it in a few years, so just looking for a fun rifle that I can shoot in competition now and plink with later. Have had other Bergara's and have been impressed with them at that price point. Thanks again my friend!

0) Any feeding issues and if so what have you had to do to correct them? Had issues with CCI ammo sticking in barrel when unfired (think it was the lack of lube on projectile - think timed out on stage with live round in chamber) - no issues SK
1) What you like or don't like about it? Great value, PRS target rifle at great price point. Like factory chassis except harder to add weight. Needs heavier barrel from factory for front balance.
2) What chassis your running it in and how it's working out? Factory chassis with Area 419 weighted ARCA rail (highly recommend)
3) Accuracy out to 300 yds that you've achieved? No measurements but no issues making hits at 300 at PRS match if I could hold the wind
4) The ammo you're using for best results (brand, specific round)? SK family - typically SK Standard +. Loved SK Biathlon
5) How smooth is the bolt? Fine by me
6) Anything else you can tell me. See lots of B14Rs at PRS Rimfire matches in GA. Many in factory stock some in MPA chassis. I got unique opportunity to trade my B14R plus cash for a custom RimX so I traded up.

PS - mine was a traditional steel barrel as I wanted all the weight I could get

Last edited:
0) Any feeding issues and if so what have you had to do to correct them? Had issues with CCI ammo sticking in barrel when unfired (think it was the lack of lube on projectile - think timed out on stage with live round in chamber) - no issues SK
1) What you like or don't like about it? Great value, PRS target rifle at great price point. Like factory chassis except harder to add weight. Needs heavier barrel from factory for front balance.
2) What chassis your running it in and how it's working out? Factory chassis with Area 419 weighted ARCA rail (highly recommend)
3) Accuracy out to 300 yds that you've achieved? No measurements but no issues making hits at 300 at PRS match if I could hold the wind
4) The ammo you're using for best results (brand, specific round)? SK family - typically SK Standard +. Loved SK Biathlon
5) How smooth is the bolt? Fine by me
6) Anything else you can tell me. See lots of B14Rs at PRS Rimfire matches in GA. Many in factory stock some in MPA chassis. I got unique opportunity to trade my B14R plus cash for a custom RimX so I traded up.
Thanks Lightning!

I’m hoping when I get my can my steel b14r barrel will handle it well. I’ve seen some have issues but I think it was the carbon fiber as they’re just a sleeve over a thin barrel if I recall

Last edited:
My shooting buddy runs one in an MPA and it does make me jealous as it shoots as good as my Vudoo out to 400.. Its not ammo picky as mine is and he never cleans the damn thing..it always feeds, always ejects, it just flat out runs.

Reactions: LR1845
If you have a Bergara 22LR B14-R, I'd like to know:
0) Any feeding issues and if so what have you had to do to correct them? None. Couple ejecting issues where the case flips sideways out of the chamber and sits in the ejection port. Nothing major at all.
1) What you like or don't like about it? Great for the price point
2) What chassis you’re running it in and how it's working out? MPA hybrid (it is a bit rear heavy. I have zero weights on it)
3) Accuracy out to 300 yds that you've achieved? Never shot groups that far but have taken it out to 500 in matches with no issue
4) The ammo you're using for best results (brand, specific round)? SK standard
5) How smooth is the bolt? Not great but good enough. Don’t care it’s a 22
6) Anything else you can tell me - seems to be a good shooter. Mine is steel barreled and have only tried cci standard and sk. Cci grouped good but had a random flyer here and there. With SK it stacks in 1 hole, has single digit SD with velocity at 1067 which is just fine for me. I use a timney HIT trigger and it’s a fun little gun

Attachments

• 4ADD2117-5AAD-4379-82E6-EF416A171AAB.png
    4ADD2117-5AAD-4379-82E6-EF416A171AAB.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 40DB119A-5A3B-4975-B135-F379CC0400BE.png
    40DB119A-5A3B-4975-B135-F379CC0400BE.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
My buddy runs onein PRS22/NRL22. We shot a match last year in the winter and the ONLY guns that didnt choke, were vudoos and his B14R. Everything else from CZ to Ruger to Tikka to Anzulutz or however the fuck you spell it failed.

I think they are by far the best bag for your buck in the 22 game. Can also buy them as a barreled action to drop into stock of choice.

My buddy runs onein PRS22/NRL22. We shot a match last year in the winter and the ONLY guns that didnt choke, were vudoos and his B14R. Everything else from CZ to Ruger to Tikka to Anzulutz or however the fuck you spell it failed.

I think they are by far the best bag for your buck in the 22 game. Can also buy them as a barreled action to drop into stock of choice.
Thanks Death!

Few and far between. Put little tabs of velcro pile on the back of magazine just to ensure no rocking in mag well. Also staked the ejector.
700 pattern, modest price.
Grayboe Ridgeback with Grayboe bottom metal and XLR Envy Pro. Works well in both.
Farthest I've gone is 275 at a NRL22X. It kept up with the rest of the squad (Vudoo, RimX, CZ MTRs).
SK Standard + and LRM
It hasn't bothered me or held me back. The wife is the one really touchy about action smoothness and she like the B14r.
I bought a steel barreled action in early 2020 and rigged it up with high end components with the intent if I did not like it, I would swap the parts to a RimX and sell the B14r. That has not happened yet.
I run it year around, including New England winters and in PRS/NRL. I hardly ever clean it and run a Dead Air Mask when shooting around the house.

Few and far between. Put little tabs of velcro pile on the back of magazine just to ensure no rocking in mag well. Also staked the ejector.
700 pattern, modest price.
Grayboe Ridgeback with Grayboe bottom metal and XLR Envy Pro. Works well in both.
Farthest I've gone is 275 at a NRL22X. It kept up with the rest of the squad (Vudoo, RimX, CZ MTRs).
SK Standard + and LRM
It hasn't bothered me or held me back. The wife is the one really touchy about action smoothness and she like the B14r.
I bought a steel barreled action in early 2020 and rigged it up with high end components with the intent if I did not like it, I would swap the parts to a RimX and sell the B14r. That has not happened yet.
I run it year around, including New England winters and in PRS/NRL. I hardly ever clean it and run a Dead Air Mask when shooting around the house.
Thanks Tortuga!

just curios what did you guys see fail at that match? i ran a Vudoo for a few years and had a few random feed issues.

I have been running one for almost a year now. Mine is a lefty and at the time all I could get was the Carbon barreled version.
I have had no feeding issues and only twice in about 1500 rounds it Flipped the empty backwards a caused a jam but I think it was operator error trying to slowly eject a round.
Accuracy wise I think mine is around .25 inch at 50 with SK match and Center X and while the SK at 100 is OK it’s not as good as Center X at distance.
I honestly have not gotten calipers out a checked but I would guess sub 1.5 inch 5 shot groups with Center X at100. Seems with SK there is always a flier or two.
I have been considering upgrading but my rifle is not holding me back at this point and I may end up just rebarreling to get a more balanced gun.

For the money, and easy of getting going with something pretty straight out of the box, they are very hard to beat. If you get one that feeds and ejects always / reliably, they are even better. I was not so lucky.
I fought the feed issue on one, and the ejection issue on the other. One in an HMR stock, and one in an ACC. Both went back to Bergara once, and another bolt on one after it was home for a bit.
I finally called it quits when it burned both my son multiple times in matches / on the clock. FTF/FTE issue. Too aggravating to keep having the issue.

Picked up a RimX, spun up a Proof and threw it back in the ACC chassis, and it's run like a sewing machine from day one. Very early on (first hundred or so rounds) I had a couple random pre-feed issues where the round would jump ahead of the controlled feed on the bolt, but I believe that was due to a fresh magazine not providing enough upward pressure when cycling. Shot a few matches on it and have been extremely happy with it and it's run flawless and the action is as smooth as butter. Night and day difference to the Bergara.

I still have one of my B14R's. They're excellent as back yard hunters, plinking, practice, off the bench, random stuff here and there. But I won't run it in a match.

At the Finale a few weeks ago in TX, I saw 1 Vudoo and 2 Bergara's go down. Gun, user, ammo, other equipment, maintenance, conditions? Don't know.

I have one, shot a couple matches with it. Added an arca rail under the factory HMR stock. Chassis would be better but it works well. I haven't had any feed issues, I have had a case drop back in once in awhile if I ran the bolt too slow. I have five mags and it never happened on the clock. Accuracy is fine with SK standard, managed to hit targets at nearly 400 in the first match with it. If I miss I figure it's me not the rifle.

Hattttted it. Shot as well as any other rimfire I’ve had….but Put in manners mini chassis, didn’t feed at all. Put back in original stock which fed nicely but the bolt close was so stiff was just not any fun in comps, so at that point got rid of it. Just doesn’t compare to the two vudoos I’ve had. Cheers

2F9D595F-E1EA-4916-80D7-0164B1BF395B.jpeg

Mine has been great. No issues and plenty accurate with good ammo. Basically stock from the factory. I added marine Tex to the factory stock for better grip and rattle canned it. Check out the rimfire section, there’s pages of info on this rifle.