• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bergara b14 wilderness

nd hunter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2022
North east northdakota
I have a B-14 that at best will shoot .95 group and on average 1.5 with 120 match burners. This is obviously a hunting rifle and I want to use hunting bullets. I did get Nosler 120 ballistic tips to shoot around a 1.25 group, but only at 2450 fps at the muzzle. I have used 4 different match type factory loads with mixed results and have not had any 140 grain group under an inch most 2.5. After a pound of h4350 and many loads of imr4350, 4895 imr and Hodgdon superformance and 3 types primers and 4 factory hunting loads and 2 different scopes I give up. I have read many posts about problems with Bergara rifle but no one posts the out come of the customer service they received except negative things. When I get a new rifle I torque the stock screws, clean the barrel and chamber, blow the bolt out with degreaser and head to the range. That being said there was little to no grease in or on the bolt actually a little spot of rust. I did call Bergara on Friday with all my data the seating depths loads data ready to get some answers and was told to clean the bolt better.... then call them back before I can ship the gun back. I guess my simplest fix is to trade it off. Has anyone had a problem like this actually fixed by Bergara? I hear if they get a match load to shoot to their standard they just send the rifle back. I want this for hunting, not paper, this was a gift from my wife so not easy to get rid of.

Last edited:
Have you tried any factory ammo? If I was them it would be the first thing I would have suggested.

In what world do you load a cartridge that gets you 1450fps with a 120gr bullet? I'm hoping that was supposed to be 2,450fps. If it was actually 1,450fps, you need to step away from the reloading bench.

Have you tried any factory ammo? If I was them it would be the first thing I would have suggested.

In what world do you load a cartridge that gets you 1450fps with a 120gr bullet? I'm hoping that was supposed to be 2,450fps. If it was actually 1,450fps, you need to step away from the reloading bench.
sorry 2450fps typo. I have used match and hunting loads conventional and Barnes and Hornady copper bullets

Just off the phone with bergara I was told no accuracy guaranty with anything other than match ammo. I told them this is a hunting rifle not a target gun shouldn't a hunting rifle shoot hunting bullets ? It will fire them he said just no grantee of accuracy. I need to trade never Bergara again

I own or have owned at least 5 bergara rifles, and I've never heard of one with an actual accuracy problem. Never. I'm sure they exist, but they are about as far from shipping rifles that won't shoot as anyone who sells rifles for 3 times as much. I feel so strongly about it that if you told me that I had $2,000 to buy a rifle that was absolutely going to shoot .5moa with factory ammo, I'd buy a bergara B14 and $1,100 worth of beer.

Their rifles will shoot under 1 MOA, hell just about any rifle today will shoot 1 moa or better, I suppose anything is possible, let someone else shoot it, someone who can shoot

Their rifles will shoot under 1 MOA, hell just about any rifle today will shoot 1 moa or better, I suppose anything is possible, let someone else shoot it, someone who can shoot
I wish we were closer you sound like an expert, I have been handloading 40 years this September. I have used the same ammo that the bergara spits like a shot gun to shoot .25 and dozens of .65 groups out of other peoples Rugers savages. If you care to look at this site and you will seen posts about Bergara accuracy problems one I am looking at now dated April 2 2022 about paint removal on the stock pillars there are many other sites with dozens of similar posts most about the 6.5cm. I was looking for anyone who had the problem fixed by Bergara I never hear the results. I now see Bergara uses only match ammo only 3 shot groups and it only has to group 2 out of 3 times under an inch I have a hunting rifle I use hunting bullets. I farm when you see a guy with all green switch to red or the opposite its because he had a problem and realized no one was going to back there product. I will send this pig back was going to trade it but just may go threw the process I only wish I had you to shoot for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Rexwagon
I own or have owned at least 5 bergara rifles, and I've never heard of one with an actual accuracy problem. Never. I'm sure they exist, but they are about as far from shipping rifles that won't shoot as anyone who sells rifles for 3 times as much. I feel so strongly about it that if you told me that I had $2,000 to buy a rifle that was absolutely going to shoot .5moa with factory ammo, I'd buy a bergara B14 and $1,100 worth of beer.
Search this site or any one of a half dozen other sites and there are many examples of Bergara inaccuracy at the bottom of the page under similar threads FYI Bergara accuracy fix Omnibuzz april 2, 2022. I have heard of bolts being fixed many things like that but never anyone with a accuracy problem fix and after reading there testing standard I see why. In the last 2 weeks I know of 3 rifles identical to mine 1 shoots .5 all day any bullet one only shots 140 grain about an inch and my lemon. I talked to a guy who had my problem and had it recrowned and now it .75 gun. I guess you missed the other posts

I don’t own a Bergara but I personally know three people that do,one of the three had some kind of bolt-firing pin problem . It would not shoot at all with three different types of ammunition, all factory. It was sent back and repaired. All three are now tack drivers. (Edit) one thing that always confused me was they sent a target to prove accuracy, but the rifle would not fire at all with three different types of Hornady ammo?

It’s shooting like shit and was a gift from your wife, two good reasons to not just send it down the road and let it be someone else’s problem.

Bergara doesn’t guarantee with reloads, fine, buy a couple boxes of factory match ammo. If it still doesn’t shoot then call Bergara back and tell them that you want a call tag and RMA for it to go back.

This is assuming you’ve verified the optic and mounts and such. You also need to make sure you’re cleaning between different bullets and powders. I had major issues going from Barnes to other bullets and back without a good cleaning.

Reactions: Modoc
It’s shooting like shit and was a gift from your wife, two good reasons to not just send it down the road and let it be someone else’s problem.

Bergara doesn’t guarantee with reloads, fine, buy a couple boxes of factory match ammo. If it still doesn’t shoot then call Bergara back and tell them that you want a call tag and RMA for it to go back.

This is assuming you’ve verified the optic and mounts and such. You also need to make sure you’re cleaning between different bullets and powders. I had major issues going from Barnes to other bullets and back without a good cleaning.
If you read my original post before commenting you would see I used 8 different match and hunting factory rounds and about 12oz of bore teck and its had both its new Anthon and a old scope both work fine.

If you read my original post before commenting you would see I used 8 different match and hunting factory rounds and about 12oz of bore teck and its had both its new Anthon and a old scope both work fine.

Then tell Bergara it’s not shooting with factory match ammo and send it in…

Reactions: Rexwagon
I don’t own a Bergara but I personally know three people that do,one of the three had some kind of bolt-firing pin problem . It would not shoot at all with three different types of ammunition, all factory. It was sent back and repaired. All three are now tack drivers. (Edit) one thing that always confused me was they sent a target to prove accuracy, but the rifle would not fire at all with three different types of Hornady ammo?
nice to know some one had a good experience thanks for the info. I know a few people who had these rifles some are great the ones with trouble were either traded returned or returned from testing said to be in spec but traded off for something that will shoot hunting rounds as hunting rifle should.

nice to know some one had a good experience thanks for the info. I know a few people who had these rifles some are great the ones with trouble were either traded returned or returned from testing said to be in spec but traded off for something that will shoot hunting rounds as hunting rifle should.

It’s a sub $1000 factory rifle, there are duds. I’ve spent several times that and gotten a bad barrel before it just happens. Either send it in to be fixed or trade it off if you really don’t want it, kinda fucked up trading off a crappy rifle though when you could atleast have Bergara fix it first and not give someone a turd.

I called the store that my wife bought the gun at they had one other same 6.5 same model that was returned and bergara sent out another rifle he is going to swap the rifle for the same or different model our brand but asked me to give the bergara another try.

Reactions: 338dude