• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14R barreled action into bedded 6.5 stock?

yrunvs

I'm no gynecologist but hey I'll take a look!
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2022
Prior Lake MN
I suppose it would be to naïve to think that I could drop a .22 barreled action into my factory HMR "bedded" 6.5 Bergara stock and expect accurate results? or does the .22 barreled action dimensions closely match the 6.5 barreled action? Thanks.

Yes, the B14R action shares the same external dimensions as other Rem 700 pattern short actions, which could be chambered in 6.5 CM, .308 etc. The stock on the B14R HMR is the same stock as found on the centerfire HMR rifles in short action sizes.

Yes, the B14R action shares the same external dimensions as other Rem 700 pattern short actions, which could be chambered in 6.5 CM, .308 etc. The stock on the B14R HMR is the same stock as found on the centerfire HMR rifles in short action sizes.

Thank You, I am aware that that the stock is the same on the Bergara B14 HMR 6.5 and .22 but since I have already bedded my 6.5 barreled action into the stock I was now wondering if I had ruined the chance for the accuracy expectations I would have when dropping in the .22 barreled action thinking that there must be some if even minute differences.

Last edited:
I misunderstood - might as well give it a try. You're correct that there might be minute differences, but worth a shot!

I misunderstood - might as well give it a try. You're correct that there might be minute differences, but worth a shot!
At aprox. $650 for the .22 barreled action I'm not to keen on taking the chance. My goal would be to shoot ARA factory benchrest with it so accuracy is the upmost important.

It’s not hard to find another HMR stock if you decide the one you bedded for a CF action isn’t working out. Buy the BA and see if it works, then buy a take-off HMR stock if it doesn’t.

It’s not hard to find another HMR stock if you decide the one you bedded for a CF action isn’t working out. Buy the BA and see if it works, then buy a take-off HMR stock if it doesn’t.
That certainly has crossed my mind. Having the one stock for the 2 barreled actions was the allure. I'm not necessarily attached to the B14R enough to have two identical stocks.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
That certainly has crossed my mind. Having the one stock for the 2 barreled actions was the allure. I'm not necessarily attached to the B14R enough to have two identical stocks.
Makes sense. If you want one stock for two actions, with minimal concerns about bedding mismatches. you'll probably want to avoid bedding altogether. The HMR stock as-is takes a little love to optimize sometimes (mostly removing paint under the action); a V-block style stock/chassis might give better results, but it also might not. Frankly, I think that the HMR stock is one of the best factory offerings once you add a full-length (or longer) ARCA rail; it has a ton of the core features of a good stock/chassis at a highly competitive price. My vote is to buy the B14R barreled action and see what happens. If you don't like the answer, sell the HMR stock and put the proceeds to something else.

Once you start adding features like quick-adjust LOP, internal/external weights, MLOK attachment points, NV bridges or enclosed forends, modular grips, etc., you're basically looking at a chassis at 3 to 6 times the cost, and there's not a lot in between there.

Reactions: yrunvs
At aprox. $650 for the .22 barreled action I'm not to keen on taking the chance. My goal would be to shoot ARA factory benchrest with it so accuracy is the upmost important.
You better check the rules for ARA factory class before you start spending your money. Technically, taking a barreled action and dropping it into a factory stock is violating the rules. You're building a rifle, so by definition, that rifle isn't factory.

Having said that, take your barreled action and put it in a factory stock, and keep your mouth shut about what you did. I'm not the ARA police.

Accuracy? Buy all you can of the lot # of ammo that your rifle shoots the best and spend hours learning how to read the wind.

I've been shooting ARA factory class for a few years and I'm really enjoying it.

You better check the rules for ARA factory class before you start spending your money. Technically, taking a barreled action and dropping it into a factory stock is violating the rules. You're building a rifle, so by definition, that rifle isn't factory.

Having said that, take your barreled action and put it in a factory stock, and keep your mouth shut about what you did. I'm not the ARA police.

Accuracy? Buy all you can of the lot # of ammo that your rifle shoots the best and spend hours learning how to read the wind.

I've been shooting ARA factory class for a few years and I'm really enjoying it.
You know you are absolutely correct. That would be "building a gun" and as such I'm not going to do that. I really don't need another .22 for ARA I already shoot a factory CZ 457 Varmint in ARA that has the mods permitted....bedding and trigger spring mod. Thanks for bringing this to my attention (not sure why I didn't figure this out myself) before I made a stupid purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Booner1334