• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14r competition pics

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Hello all,

Looking for pictures of B14r rifles that are balanced correctly for PRS/NRL 22 comps. If your rifle is, please post up a pic of your setup and share what you did to get it to balance in front of the magwell.

I think a factory Tikka or CZ is probably just as difficult to balance, so if you have those please share.

Thank you!

AREA 419 weighted ARCA rail. Get a heavy bipod like AccuTac and leave on when possible for positional. Improvise on weights you can hang off the ARCA rail.

Hopefully you have the B14R steel barrel.

I didn't have a problem getting my carbon to balance well. I actually put too much weight in the rear of the stock. Weighted arca rail, filled forearm with lead. And the butt stock is filled with lead. I have not put it on a scale yet but I'd guess it's around 16lbs total. The way it sits the ballance point is almost dead center of the mag well.

Attachments

• 20220919_204936.jpg
    20220919_204936.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 185
Are you focusing on a stock rifle, or have you looked at Rem 700 SA chassis? The chassis setup will be much easier.

I didn't have a problem getting my carbon to balance well. I actually put too much weight in the rear of the stock. Weighted arca rail, filled forearm with lead. And the butt stock is filled with lead. I have not put it on a scale yet but I'd guess it's around 16lbs total. The way it sits the ballance point is almost dead center of the mag well.
If you take the 2 rear brass weights out of the Arca rail and stack them on top of the one in front of the forend you can change the balance.

If you take the 2 rear brass weights out of the Arca rail and stack them on top of the one in front of the forend you can change the balance.

That has crossed my mind. I even thought about grabbing a few extra next time I order from area 419. I could quickly pull a few ozs out of the buttstock to get it right but it doesn't bother me too much right now.

Are you focusing on a stock rifle, or have you looked at Rem 700 SA chassis? The chassis setup will be much easier.
Right now it's in the original HMR stock. I have had in a few others though. IMO, stocks and chassis are like reticles - very personal, and I have yet to find out that is just right for me. Well, I take that back - my centerfire is in a Foundation Centurion, and I like it alot.

I have had the b14r in a MPA BA comp chassis, a Grayboe Ridgeback, and a MDT XRS. I think the MPA was about perfect for comps, but that chassis and I did not interface well. I was never really comfortable behind it except when prone. The ridgeback was just meh. I had a Grayboe Renegade for another rifle, and liked it better than the Ridgeback. The MDT XRS was a well though out design and it was ok, but it was also meh to me. I look at something and say "would you buy this again?" and my answer to the XRS is - no.

I love how a Manners prs1 feels, but I bet it will be hard to balance that one with the B14r.

thank you

Right now it's in the original HMR stock. I have had in a few others though. IMO, stocks and chassis are like reticles - very personal, and I have yet to find out that is just right for me. Well, I take that back - my centerfire is in a Foundation Centurion, and I like it alot.

I have had the b14r in a MPA BA comp chassis, a Grayboe Ridgeback, and a MDT XRS. I think the MPA was about perfect for comps, but that chassis and I did not interface well. I was never really comfortable behind it except when prone. The ridgeback was just meh. I had a Grayboe Renegade for another rifle, and liked it better than the Ridgeback. The MDT XRS was a well though out design and it was ok, but it was also meh to me. I look at something and say "would you buy this again?" and my answer to the XRS is - no.

I love how a Manners prs1 feels, but I bet it will be hard to balance that one with the B14r.

thank you
PRS1 is definitely a tougher one to balance with, I ran one on mine for a little while before switching it into a KRG bravo and putting my rimx in the PRS1.

Reactions: rookie7
Look at the XLR Envy Pro chassis. It is "light" in the butt so easier to balance a 22. Also has adjustable mag catch to better "tune" the B14R mag to chassis interface. I just got a used Manners PRS1 to try with a centerfire - the PRS1 is pretty light - I would thing a PRS1 with weighted ARCA rail might work.

Reactions: King_beardsly
Look at the XLR Envy Pro chassis. It is "light" in the butt so easier to balance a 22. Also has adjustable mag catch to better "tune" the B14R mag to chassis interface. I just got a used Manners PRS1 to try with a centerfire - the PRS1 is pretty light - I would thing a PRS1 with weighted ARCA rail might work.
I’ve currently got a 23” straight 1.25” on the RimX with the PRS and it balances out nicely but now it’s close to 20lbs. The envy pro might be on the list for next season if I refresh the build.

I fitted a “small rig” piece to the front of the Arca that sticks past the stock. Then put 2 brass rods in the small rig adapter that can be slid for/aft to get the balance right.
Manners EH4.
3A5514DA-C342-4B61-99AA-B06C7E799DE3.jpeg
4226FBDA-AA7E-4878-959A-12ECC2D89FF8.jpeg
5C7BA8DF-FBF2-4CFD-80E2-382D4A1334BB.jpeg

Reactions: King_beardsly
Thanks to everyone for the input. Looks like if I want something easy to balance I need to either a) rebarrel the Bergara with a straight contour barrel about 24" long or b) just build a RimX with the same.

Accuracy is excellent out of my rifle, so I am more inclined to leave it as is. Plus, I have never had an ftf or fte problems with any stock/chassis it has been in. The only fte or ftf I have ever had were induced by me short or double pumping the bolt.

I currently still use the standard HMR stock on mine , with the factory barrel and a Tuna Can (Canadian made tuner) on the end, with the optic in a Recknagel Era-Tac adjustable mount, the balance is extremely good. Depending on the bag I use for a given barricade, it balances right at the magazine or just in-front.

I currently still use the standard HMR stock on mine , with the factory barrel and a Tuna Can (Canadian made tuner) on the end, with the optic in a Recknagel Era-Tac adjustable mount, the balance is extremely good. Depending on the bag I use for a given barricade, it balances right at the magazine or just in-front.
Doesn’t hurt the tuna can is a tank, I weighed mine and if I remember correctly it’s well over a pound possible close to two pounds

I find myself currently trying to figure out which setup I like better for my uses. The manners prs1 balances much better than the bmp does. But the bmp sits more solid on a bag with the additional weight. On the prs1, in a few of the hollow spaces on the hidden side of the area 419 acra rail I have added some steel shot and linotype to add a little weight up front. I plan to order some forend weights for the bmp to see how it balances then. I’ll report back when I do that.
IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_1346.jpeg

I find myself currently trying to figure out which setup I like better for my uses. The manners prs1 balances much better than the bmp does. But the bmp sits more solid on a bag with the additional weight. On the prs1, in a few of the hollow spaces on the hidden side of the area 419 acra rail I have added some steel shot and linotype to add a little weight up front. I plan to order some forend weights for the bmp to see how it balances then. I’ll report back when I do that.View attachment 8127070View attachment 8127072
That color scheme makes me want to completely abandon the midnight camo I’m currently running

Reactions: JonKleman