• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14R or Kidd

BKSSNIPER

Minuteman
May 8, 2005
Arkansas
I have a T1X, a TacSol w/ a Kidd Trigger, and a Bergara BMR in 22LR.
I have the wants for a new rifle to go with these. I am looking at the Kidd rifles and a Bergara B14R.
Main use would be just shooting groups and maybe 22NRL which I hope they start soon near me.

Which one is more accurate? More user friendly etc?

One is semi-auto and one is bolt-action. Which would you prefer as far as the action goes? It would be hard to say which one would be more accurate. Both should shoot really nice. I would personally go with the Kidd because I've always lusted after them. The 10/22 mags are a plus.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
Two totally different rifles. Lots of things to consider. If accuracy is your primary goal then I believe the B14R will be the most accurate over a broader range of ammo and more consistent. I have both.

Seems like you want to duplicate what you already own. Unless it is aftermarket support you are after. I had a B14R, even though I was impressed with it, bolt closure was disruptive a good share of the time. It may have been the mags, the trigger, no clue, but it got to be a PIA

One is semi-auto and one is bolt-action. Which would you prefer as far as the action goes? It would be hard to say which one would be more accurate. Both should shoot really nice. I would personally go with the Kidd because I've always lusted after them. The 10/22 mags are a plus.
The Christensen Arms Ranger 22 is a bolt-action that uses 10/22 mags.

I have a T1X, a TacSol w/ a Kidd Trigger, and a Bergara BMR in 22LR.
I have the wants for a new rifle to go with these. I am looking at the Kidd rifles and a Bergara B14R.
Main use would be just shooting groups and maybe 22NRL which I hope they start soon near me.

Which one is more accurate? More user friendly etc?
22? really? I found my last year online for around 925. required some flying but was fun

When in doubt BOTH
This is ALWAYS the correct answer! lol.

I have a cz 457 and a Kidd barreled action in the stable. I've been wanting to try a B14 or Vudoo....I have homeless scopes laying around that need good homes.

I have a Kidd Supergrade, and just got my second B14R. I give the edge to the Bergara.
Do you the complete rifle from Kidd? I really want one but my buddy had one and he still had flyers 2 to 3 every mag. He got tired of trying to get it to be consistent so he sold it and went with a cz. I just don’t want to drop 2 grand and get flyers.

Given your uses for it, B14r. I'm not saying the Kidd can't do it, but autos are the exception, not rule in NRL/PRS. Practical accuracy you probably won't see a difference. Shooting NRL stages you will see the bolt guns prevail. Moving from spot to spot with an open bolt is easier/quicker than putting on the safety and calling out "safety" each time.
Also, if you really get to upgrading the Bergara, those same upgrades will fit the eventual Vudoo or RimX you get.

Do you the complete rifle from Kidd? I really want one but my buddy had one and he still had flyers 2 to 3 every mag. He got tired of trying to get it to be consistent so he sold it and went with a cz. I just don’t want to drop 2 grand and get flyers.
I had a 2 stage trigger. I got a complete barreled action and put it in a Titan stock with Titan's rear anchor.

I had a 2 stage trigger. I got a complete barreled action and put it in a Titan stock with Titan's rear anchor.
I see I was just wondering if you got theirs with magpul stock they bed it in. I had a krg with my 10/22 target and did not like it. Was yours a sugergrade or classic? I have a bergara that shoots really good but I still have that itch for a supergrade. Lol

I see I was just wondering if you got theirs with magpul stock they bed it in. I had a krg with my 10/22 target and did not like it. Was yours a sugergrade or classic? I have a bergara that shoots really good but I still have that itch for a supergrade. Lol
Supergrade

I have both. The bergara is the winner for consistent small groups. But if I laid a card dine down that had 10 groups of bergara 10 groups if kidd you couldn't tell the difference. Promise if iwere doing it again and wanted kidd I would go complete supergrade so they bed it. Kidd barrels are ammo picky in my testing of 5 of them. And they all shoot the same if you really knuckle down and focus. The kidd with sk is a mid. 3s gun. Lapua low 3s. Bergata I have run several 5x5s at 50 in the 2s as avg with lapua. Sk I would expect a 6x5 of under .35

I have both. The bergara is the winner for consistent small groups. But if I laid a card dine down that had 10 groups of bergara 10 groups if kidd you couldn't tell the difference. Promise if iwere doing it again and wanted kidd I would go complete supergrade so they bed it. Kidd barrels are ammo picky in my testing of 5 of them. And they all shoot the same if you really knuckle down and focus. The kidd with sk is a mid. 3s gun. Lapua low 3s. Bergata I have run several 5x5s at 50 in the 2s as avg with lapua. Sk I would expect a 6x5 of under .35
I am wanting this for Nrl/prs. Kidd good enough for 3” steel at 200yds. Shoot my first match with the bergara today. It did good me not so much. Lol. I actually think mine shoots better in factory stock verses the PDC chassis.

Thanks
Jon

Unfortunately I couldn't answer that one. I only shoot at 50yds off bags. But the kidd would nit be my choice for prs nrl. Especially if I had a bergara in hand. That money would go into lapua

Bergara for sure. I had a B14r for a short bit. For NRL22 bolt is the better choice.
Yeah a bolt is better I agreed but for most ranges under 150 is the Kidd that much worse? My bergara is great but I’m wondering if I could shoot the difference? I have shot only 4 matches,e with ruger precision 22 right handed and one today with the new lefty bergara. I’m lefty but today I still find myself still coming off the scope just as much as I did with the ruger. Timed out on some stages. Just was thinking the Kidd would help with that. Idk

Thanks
Jon

I was thinking upgrading with the Bergara can stick if you keep going up. There’s also a pretty decent aftermarket. Everything is such a personal choice. With the right lot of ammo, both can shoot, in the end, I’d prefer to compete with the bolt. Transitions s as mentioned above are just safer and easier.

I got rid of all my semi 22lr rifles. I am a huge fan of CZ but that wasn’t a option.

I was thinking upgrading with the Bergara can stick if you keep going up. There’s also a pretty decent aftermarket. Everything is such a personal choice. With the right lot of ammo, both can shoot, in the end, I’d prefer to compete with the bolt. Transitions s as mentioned above are just safer and easier.

I got rid of all my semi 22lr rifles. I am a huge fan of CZ but that wasn’t a option.
I have put it in a Pdc chassis with full weight kit,20lbs, have a razor 2 on it but still factory trigger so I need to figure that out. I think I just need more time behind gun in positions.

I have a KIDD Super grade. It is as accurate as both my CZ 453 and 457. Really comes down to which action type works well for your application.

I have a KIDD Super grade. It is as accurate as both my CZ 453 and 457. Really comes down to which action type works well for your application.
I see well mine is prs/Nrl 22. I know the bolt is king but everyone brings up its slower transitioning with a semi and a safety issue. I have seen guys run semi in both prs centerfire and rimfire and putting on the safety and saying safe doesn’t seem to slow them down or safety issue. If you put the safety on and use proper gun safety/match safety no issues. I want to be competitive but I enjoy shooting more than winning. I have a ruger 10/22 older target with hammered heavy barrel and the brown laminated stock but it’s okay at 50 maybe an inch. Sure I could trick it out but I like it like it is. So the kidd supergrade is calling me. I know I could get into a cz cheaper.

Thanks
Jon

I also hated cleaning the 10/22 based rifles. Bolts don’t need to be removed from the chassis.

I also hated cleaning the 10/22 based rifles. Bolts don’t need to be removed from the chassis.
Truth but most guys I know really don’t clean their barrels very often, if accuracy starts to drop the might check for carbon ring and clean chamber really well. Most I know will run a snake through or push a few dry patches through to knock the chunks out. Lol
It is pain to clean 10/22s and more detail and oiling needs done

Barrels are easy, but I was more referring to having to clean the bolt area.
I totally agree about that. To me the hardest part of cleaning is getting the bolt back in with all my fingers still attached. Lol. I’ve done it hundreds of times and still sucks.

Well I guess I will be that guy . I had a bergara b14R it shot ok . My big gripe is the magazines . Mine let go the first stage of the first match I shot with it . the feed lips just left the building before I got through one magazine fortunately I had spares . Next what ever coating they put on the barrel just started flaking off . I sold it at a discount . I now use my 10/22 custom shop and have no issue's it shoots sk standard plus just as well as my bergara . I also shoot prs gas gun matches and putting the safety on before I move is not a big deal no more than trying to close the bolt on a bolt action . The only thing that slow's me down is my own dumb ass . If I were to buy another bolt gun for rim fire matches I would just buy a CZ and call it a day .

Reactions: DrSquall
Well I guess I will be that guy . I had a bergara b14R it shot ok . My big gripe is the magazines . Mine let go the first stage of the first match I shot with it . the feed lips just left the building before I got through one magazine fortunately I had spares . Next what ever coating they put on the barrel just started flaking off . I sold it at a discount . I now use my 10/22 custom shop and have no issue's it shoots sk standard plus just as well as my bergara . I also shoot prs gas gun matches and putting the safety on before I move is not a big deal no more than trying to close the bolt on a bolt action . The only thing that slow's me down is my own dumb ass . If I were to buy another bolt gun for rim fire matches I would just buy a CZ and call it a day .
Well that would suck for sure with the bergara. I’ve only had mine about a month with maybe 400 rounds through it. Do you shoot prs/Nrl with the 10/22? That custom shop has 2 action screws correct?

Well that would suck for sure with the bergara. I’ve only had mine about a month with maybe 400 rounds through it. Do you shoot prs/Nrl with the 10/22? That custom shop has 2 action screws correct?
Yes I shoot prs style 22lr matches and the occasional 22lr steel challenge . yes it has 2 action screws .

Yes I shoot prs style 22lr matches and the occasional 22lr steel challenge . yes it has 2 action screws .
Do you think it can compete on the longer shots? We don’t shoot much past 200 locally with most around 85- 150.

I just wondering if 1100 more on a Kidd supergrade gets you that much more accuracy for prs.
Thanks
Jon

Me personally I think the kidd is the ultimate all purpose gun. Quick barrel change bolt action accuracy, thr kidds I owned never gave me any trouble. But it's the ease of shooting you can't put s
a price on. And to compete using a kidd it has to be perfect. To me it's bottom of thr list when compared to the bolts guns. Vudoo, bergara, cz, kidd. None of those have ever given me a so gle hiccup on thr bench. But I don't shoot prs. But for transitioning target to target bolt action for that reason alone would be better. Add in more consistent, easy to shoot, etc. The bolt gets the nod. BUT the kidd does everything super well. Here easiest way gor me to put it.

Scale 1 to 10

Vudoo 12
Bergara 9
Cz 9. With lilja 10
Kidd 8. That's how close it all is. At 50yds I can 20 cards on the table after shooting groups. And if not labeled I can't tell the difference in any of them. Talking tenths of an inch.

I own a Kidd super grade, a B14R, a 457 varmint precision chassis, and a gen 2 Vudoo. I sent the Kidd to the Lapua test center, and I’ve also sent the Bergara and Vudoo. While the accuracy of the Kidd is good, the Bergara is better. And the Bergara is much more consistent. I have chased fliers by swapping stocks/chassis, magazines, loading methods - you name it - with my Kidd to the point that I’m done trying to make it run as well as the bolt guns. It just does not. The advantage of speed with having a semi auto is also not material in the rimfire prs games any longer. YMMV.

Me personally I think the kidd is the ultimate all purpose gun. Quick barrel change bolt action accuracy, thr kidds I owned never gave me any trouble. But it's the ease of shooting you can't put s
a price on. And to compete using a kidd it has to be perfect. To me it's bottom of thr list when compared to the bolts guns. Vudoo, bergara, cz, kidd. None of those have ever given me a so gle hiccup on thr bench. But I don't shoot prs. But for transitioning target to target bolt action for that reason alone would be better. Add in more consistent, easy to shoot, etc. The bolt gets the nod. BUT the kidd does everything super well. Here easiest way gor me to put it.

Scale 1 to 10

Vudoo 12
Bergara 9
Cz 9. With lilja 10
Kidd 8. That's how close it all is. At 50yds I can 20 cards on the table after shooting groups. And if not labeled I can't tell the difference in any of them. Talking tenths of an
I own a Kidd super grade, a B14R, a 457 varmint precision chassis, and a gen 2 Vudoo. I sent the Kidd to the Lapua test center, and I’ve also sent the Bergara and Vudoo. While the accuracy of the Kidd is good, the Bergara is better. And the Bergara is much more consistent. I have chased fliers by swapping stocks/chassis, magazines, loading methods - you name it - with my Kidd to the point that I’m done trying to make it run as well as the bolt guns. It just does not. The advantage of speed with having a semi auto is also not material in the rimfire prs games any longer. YMMV.
Thank you that’s what I needed to hear. I had an itch I wanted to scratch but with you and everyone else’s input I will not blow the money on it and spend it on more ammo. Positional shooting is a hard enough trying to build solid foundations anyway and I would hate to have a gun that is picky about cheek pressure, hold, etc. My bergara loves sk lr match. What does lapua charge for the lot testing?

What he said

Lot testing fees are $50, or so. You’ll pay shipping both ways - so another $60 or so. But the gem is you can buy a case of center X for $1200-$1250 (if my memory serves me correctly). That alone is worth it, coupled with removing the ammo variable from the accuracy equation. I wish I would have known about lot testing before I bought 10-15 different ammo types. I’ve got a slew of odds and ends in my ammo pile. I just use that stuff for practice, and safe the CX for matches.

Lot testing fees are $50, or so. You’ll pay shipping both ways - so another $60 or so. But the gem is you can buy a case of center X for $1200-$1250 (if my memory serves me correctly). That alone is worth it, coupled with removing the ammo variable from the accuracy equation. I wish I would have known about lot testing before I bought 10-15 different ammo types. I’ve got a slew of odds and ends in my ammo pile. I just use that stuff for practice, and safe the CX for matches.
Ok great thanks

since you already have a t1x i'd vote rimx/vudoo all day and never think twice about a kidd/bergera

while a kidd would be okay for NRL22/PRS Rimfire it would never ever be my choice

another thing is a balanced rifle if you really want to start positional shooting which is way easier with a rimx/vudoo

also...start your own NRL22 matches. they're so damn cheap and easy to get setup

Do you think it can compete on the longer shots? We don’t shoot much past 200 locally with most around 85- 150.

I just wondering if 1100 more on a Kidd supergrade gets you that much more accuracy for prs.
Thanks
Jon
our longest shot is 150 yds and I have no issue's . I have shot it out to 300 yds on a reduced silhouette 12 inch x 20 inch . I can not comment on Kidd rifles as I have never handled or shot one .

Last edited: