• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Barrel profile- how important?

Raxio

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2022
Texas
Long timer lurker, first time poster. I’ve decided on Bergara as my entry into long range, but am conflicted about which model. The choices for me are the wilderness hmr vs wilderness terrain. The stock on the terrain is much more comfortable to me, but it has a “5.5” barrell contour vs the HMR 6 contour. How much of a realistic difference will the contour make? I understand it’ll heat up a bit faster, but is there a quantifiable amount?

The short answer is no.

My experience with long range target shooting has been limited to the 'Palma Course' or 800 yd., 900 yd., and 1,000 yds. so you will have to take what I post with a grain of salt. As long as you have a quality barrel that has been properly stress relieved and it is free floated, heating should not be a major concern. I have seen just about everything from MTU tapers/contours to standard Palma tapers/contours perform well. Also have seen almost every imaginable fluting design/spirals on barrels to include chrome moly and SS also place high on the score board.

You mentioned the terrain stock felt the most comfortable so probably you should lean in that direction.

Last edited: