• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Bolt Lug Marks from Bolt Stop

GTJ223

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2021
Canada
Howdy,

Noticed these today on my B14. New, unfired just cycled a handful of times.

Looks smooth from the top, but under light looks like it may have a bit of dimension to it.

Something like this no big deal in terms of discernable effects on accuracy etc?

Cheers

Attachments

• wYAc7T0.png
    wYAc7T0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 251
  • o6dfsKB.png
    o6dfsKB.png
    2 MB · Views: 141
The bolt lugs look okay to me. You could lap them if you want but they don’t look bad. My eyes aren’t what they were so I could have misspoke

Thanks for the reply! I was mainly concerned about the mark on the lug (second picture, right side) where it looks a bit indented from the bolt stop. It's not a big indent, won't catch my finger but catches light.

I suppose either way it won't change the headspace!

Reactions: jcmullis2
Thanks for the reply! I was mainly concerned about the mark on the lug (second picture, right side) where it looks a bit indented from the bolt stop. It's not a big indent, won't catch my finger but catches light.

I suppose either way it won't change the headspace!
I seen it. Yeah I’d get a stone and remove that piece that protrudes. Stone it smooth but carefully not to remove the metal near it. You have better than 80% engagement of your locking lugs so I’d leave them alone.

I seen it. Yeah I’d get a stone and remove that piece that protrudes. Stone it smooth but carefully not to remove the metal near it. You have better than 80% engagement of your locking lugs so I’d leave them alone.

Appreciate the help!

Is the other lug looking alright? Had some Lucas gun oil on there dry cycling, I see a bit of a spot (maybe galling?) But I want to keep the thing running well so I'll throw some decent grease on there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210730-024218.png
    Screenshot_20210730-024218.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20210730-024202.png
    Screenshot_20210730-024202.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20210730-024150.png
    Screenshot_20210730-024150.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
It’s difficult to tell. Get a marker and color the lugs with it. Get a flat stone and rub it across as flat as you can once or twice. It’ll remove the marker ink from any raised areas and those are your high spots. Only the high spots like the titty you spotted on the other lug matter. You’re just stuck with any of the other machine marks. I think it’s probably okay but the appearance of machined metal can be deceiving, especially steel. It looks okay to me but that’s how I’d check.
Make certain to clean the dust and grit off all metal when you finish. The stuff will keep wearing the metal down. I prefer a light oil over grease because of that, oil is easier to clean and keep clean. Others have their preference and I’m sure there’s works fine too but that’s just what I do. Hope this helps brother

Oh, man.
I just saw this thread.

I may be looking at the pics wrong, but that looks just like mine did.
300wm Wilderness was galled and rolling material. I felt the friction when I cycled the action,and it felt nasty as hell. Pulled the bolt and FUUUUCK!
Bolt and face were wrecked. Gun was unfired and new.

LGS refunded my $.

76094325576330255630.jpg

95833431218542356946.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Terry Cross
I think they got rid of their mill for a chipped tooth beaver.

Buddy had one last year that shot like a custom rifle and chewed up brass like a chainsaw. The bolt face was awful, but that fucker would shoot.

Appreciate the help!

Is the other lug looking alright? Had some Lucas gun oil on there dry cycling, I see a bit of a spot (maybe galling?) But I want to keep the thing running well so I'll throw some decent grease on there.
I’ve only recently started learning machining and I’m not an expert at metallurgy. However the area on your bolt before the lug looks like some metal flaked off. That looks to be whats known as delamination and it could result in a catastrophic failure of your bolt. Bergara’s had that problem a year or so back but they said they fixed it. I think you should send Bergara these pictures and go from there. Good luck buddy