• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara, Browning, or Tikka Recommendation?

Dman3931

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
Atlanta, GA
New to the forum and wanted to ask the groups opinion to help me best select my new rifle.

I grew up shooting small calibers for target practice and I’m well versed in ARs as an Army vet and through my Sig M400 with an EOTech XPS2. I have recently got into hunting and have done a fair share on the in-laws West Texas ranch, mainly white tail. I’ve been using two hand me down Remingtons in 22-250 and .270, but I’m ready to buy my own rifle.

I’ve mainly been shooting 100-150 yard range so far but looking to do a lot more long range shots, especially as this ranch can easily support 500-800 yard shots. I also would rather spend the money today for a good versatile long rage rifle that I can grow into and use for bigger game too rather than having to buy another one then. ’I’ve been doing quite a bit of research and after initially planning on going .308, I’ve settled on 6.5 Creedmoor as the next caliber I’m buying. I’ve also narrowed down the rifles to either:

1) Bergara B-14 HMR
2) Tikka T3X CTR 24”
3) Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed

I’vd read tons of reviews and they all are highly rated by the critics and right around the $1000 price point that I’ve been setting for myself. Everyone says they are tack drivers that can easily reach out to 600-800 yards and beyond and be sub 1 MOA out of the box. I’m also not planning to do much besides a Harris bypod and a Scope, so take that into consideration.

From what I can tell the pros/cons are as follows

Bergara
Pro: Cheapest rifle of the bunch, medium weight barrel from a company with a barrel pedigree, able to fire all day without issue, likely best stock of the three that is sturdy with the adjustable cheek rest. Remington 700 clone allowing easy parts swaps/upgrades.

Con: heaviest of the three by more than a pound as it’s over 9 lbs.

Tikka
Pro: all around highly reviewed, longest barrel without being too long (like the 26”” Hell’s Canyon Long Range), medium barrel, right under $1k, smooth action, under 8 lbs

Con: Stock has mixed reviews. If the magazine alone is over $100k, it seems like it will be expensive to work on/modify.

X Bolt
Pro: lightest of the bunch at under 7 lbs, 60 degree three lug bolt, smooth action, comes with muzzle brake

con: about $100 over budget, reduced aftermarket support for x bolt, lighter barrel would be first to get hot/reduce effectiveness

Again, I think all three rifles pass they eye test, and have great reviews by critics. Really trying to get a sense of what the people on the forum think, especially for those who have experience between the three. I appreciate everyone’s input and thank you in advance.

Last edited:
The Tikka magazines are now $72 so that is a lot closer to AICS magazine prices.

Weight is your friend when shooting small groups on the range.
Weight is your enemy when carrying the rifle afield.
Less than 10 lbs sans scope is not terrible, but it is a bit portly.

You WILL end up with a new stock for the tikka, so you might as well stick with one mag, when you upgrade go chassis or DBM. Now you are talking another 800-1200 bucks.
The other option is is go ahead and get the tactical model from the get go.
Tikka is a damn fine rifle, but will require additional money.

Browning - nice hunting rifle. No upgrade options.

My recommendation: Either the Bergara or this:
https://www.legacysports.com/catalog...g-range-rifle/
Sell the crappy scope for 80 bucks and put good glass on it.

That can be bought as just a rifle or rifle/scope package.

Just buy the rifle

If we are now including Howas, Brownells has barreled actions for a good price. You can now end up picking one with a 24 inch barrel since you mentioned 26 inches is a "con" or too long of a barrel. Then you can pick whatever stock you like most. You will then end up with a rifle that has more pros than cons. Just my $.02.

I've heard great things about Tikka but have never touched one. I recently bought the Bergara HMR, I love everything about it. It weighs a little but I'm not gonna shoot offhand and I'm stout enough to carry it. Personally, I won't own a Browning because I tend to get bored with a rifle after a few years and Brownings depreciate too much if they aren't NIB. This is my opinion.

I've had the HMR from Bergara and still have a Tikka CTR 260. I would take the Tikka 10 out of 10 times over the Bergara for the way the Tikka shoots, the smoothness of the action, and the trigger can be adjusted down to be very nice for factory fodder. The one and only thing I liked better on the Begara was the stock having an adjustable cheek piece.. The Bergara also didn't like to have loaded rounds cycled from the mag into the chamber and back out without firing, it would on occasion drop rounds back down into the action.. Didn't do this with fired cases, I know, most people font care about that kind of stuff but it irritated the shit out of me.... As far as the Tikka stock, it's very usable as is and doesn't have to be swapped out to make the rifle shoot any better, mostly a preference thing or if your running a large objective optic that has it lifted up a little high on the action... Good luck with your choice...

Thanks everyone!

I think this has been so helpful. I was leaning Bergara before but after all the research and reviews I’ve read online about the Tikka, I’m going with the CTR. The passion people have about them is great, and a lot more reasonable to upgrade the stock if I want to than I initially thought.

I was able to find some really reasonable prices online too, so Tikka it is.

Now im curious. Is the Stainless really that much better than the Blued? I think I’m going Blued, but just wanted to see if anyone felt that the SS is that much better.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the 24” and did one last search around and now I’m conflicted on whether the 20” is going to be better for my needs. Again this is primarily a hunting and long rage target rig but likely shot in the 100 to 800 yard range more than anything. Is the 24” overkill? I mean it will be lighter, easier to transport (more case options), and easier to wield on a hike, but am I sacrificing anything for that if I’m not a 1000+ yard shooter? Thanks again in advance. This forum has been incredibly helpful through this whole process and the education invaluable. Undoubtedly I’ll be back when I’m deep in the weeds on getting glass too. Thanks again and happy new year.

Get the 20 inch and don't look back. I have the 20 inch in 260 and have shoot it to 1300 yards with first round hits. The 20 inch barrel will also look much better when my can comes in. :)
Yes you will lose some velocity but if 800 yards is max range the 20 inch will be plenty

Here is a pic of my Tikka.
d9dcbd7d1631ec07674140c5bd0e12ab.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tikka is my choice! With a max range of 800 yards, 20 inches is fine. Unless you think you will be shooting further in the future.
i personally always go for longer barrels if I can butbthats purely because i never know how my plans will change and I sometimes swap my rifles aroubd with different purposes.

Blued and stainless, doesnt matter. Get the one you like the looks of. Feel wise they are the same. I thought the stainless may be a tiiiny bit smoother, but ive since felt blued ones that were just as good so im now thinking its a toss up. For corrosion resistance, if you plan to take this gun into something weird and extreme like... Ocean or jungle environments then maybe stainless could be better idk XD

Go 20inch 6.5cm tikka in stainless. You don't lose much velocity by going 4 inches shorter. If you ever hunt in wet environments it pays dividends to go stainless. I hunt in Oregon, Idaho and Colorado. Cerakote or Stainless is the way to go. Try the winchester deer season xp ammo, I've had great accuracy and dead deer with it.