• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara BXR002 Review

billmeek

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
Middle TN
I went out to the range today and mounted a brand new Athlon Midas TAC 6-24×50 scope with APRS3 (Xmas tree) reticle using Burris XTR Signature rings on the Bergara BXR002 (10/22 clone) rifle with the carbon fiber barrel. I spent the first half of my time futzing around with the inserts of the Burris rings in order to bottom out the scope. Once I got the scope where I wanted, I started trying to zero scope and was having a difficult time because the groups were horrible using the inexpensive Aguila Super Extra SV 22LR ammo. Yeah, this is not the best ammo for shooting tight groups but it usually groups well with an occasional flier. Not so today with the BXR002. The groups were so variable that I could even decide where the center of the group should be. At 50 yards I had a spread of over 4 inches in one 10-round group. Admittedly I’m not a master marksman, but I can shoot fairly well from a bench or prone with a bipod and a rear bag. I have a brand new cheap Ruger 10/22 that outshoots the BXR002 from the get-go with the same Aguila ammo.

Now before I continue with the accuracy info, let me mention I am still having problems with the mag not dropping free at times and intermittently have to fiddle a bit to get the mag inserted. Before carrying the BXR002 to the range, I did not tear it down and clean it. I did however use OneShot and work the bolt for a few minutes multiple times beforehand. During shooting I had failures to feed, dented bullets, failures to extract, and failures to fire caused by light strikes. A little testing and I found it required a lot more lubricant in the action in order to be semi reliable. The rifle may need more break-in. I’ll follow up as I get more information over time.

As I mentioned earlier in another thread, the trigger is decent, but not great. I may pull a Kidd 2-stage trigger from another rifle for the next round of testing. It might be awhile before I have any time to commit.

Given the accuracy I was seeing with the Agulia ammo, I decided not to immediately swap to better ammo to continue testing. I went ahead and fired another 200 rounds of the Aguila SV through the BXR002 to see if the barrel would break-in a bit. While I did see some accuracy gains, it still wasn’t grouping well. The best (cherry picked) group I had with the Aguila SV was around 1.5 inchs at 50 yards (photo provided). At this point I decided to swap over to better ammo and give it a try using the 3rd best lot of Wolf Match Extra (made by Eley) that I’ve ever owned. Note – the best lot of Wolf ME is gone and 2nd best is reserved for matches. The first 30 rounds of the Wolf ME through the BXR wasn’t great. I wouldn’t call it good or even close to acceptable. Whenever I swap ammo in a barrel, I always allow for changing the lubrication. So I fired a total of 80 rounds of the Wolf ME and in the 3 photos below are the best results with no wind. In the picture ‘Bergara_BXR0002_WolfME_BEST1’ the round to the bottom left was the first round of the 10. While it is possible that it was me, I don’t think it was. As I was running low on time and had some bad groups early on, I had decided to just shoot for groups and not worrying about zeroing. This provided the advantage of always having a precise point in which to aim. One thing I did take time to do throughout the day was to insure that I wasn’t firing mags back-to-back providing time for the barrel to stay relatively cool throughout the shooting session. I also had our NRL22 Match Director shoot the last 10 rounds of the WolfME to insure that it wasn’t just me having a bad day. His results were just as abysmal and much worse than the photos provided.

As you can see from the provided targets (all shots from 50 yards), while there was some improvement, the BXR002 is nowhere near accurate enough for using in NRL22. The light weight of the BXR002 might make it a good plinking or squirrel gun out to 25 yards. But dropping over $500 for just a plinking 10/22 is not something that I would normally do. As I have time, I’ll likely run a few other ammo brands (i.e. CCI SV, various SK, Center-X, etc.) though the BRX002 just to see if it’s an ammo specific issue… but I doubt it.

Bottom line is that from what I’ve seen so far, I would not recommend buying the Bergara BXR002 on the results of my testing. Please note that this is a review based on a single sample of the rifle that I bought. It could be that I just received a sub-standard rifle or they may improve production. I was tempted to order one of the BXR001 with the steel barrels down the road. But based on the sample I received of the Bergara 10/22, I’d rather invest that money elsewhere.

Bergara_BXR0002_AguilaSV_BEST.jpgBergara_BXR0002_AguilaSV_LAST10.jpgBergara_BXR0002_WolfME_BEST1.jpgBergara_BXR0002_WolfME_BEST2.jpgBergara_BXR0002_WolfME_BEST3.jpg

Thanks for the review. It might be worth doing a good scrubbing on that rifle and seeing if it helps. Everytime I read posts like this and wanting to make things work, I go and shoot like 8 types of ammo to see what works and doesn't work. And all the time wondering if it's me or the rifle. This is why I keep leaning on... if I had to do it all over again, maybe the V22 isn't that pricey when you factor in time and frustration. If V22 launches a 70 degree bolt throw rimfire action I'll be the first to hop on that boat.

I am curious what kind of "carbon" barrel they put on that BXR. For that pricepoint ~$500, it can't be a Proof barrel :) Also if you mentioned that it was denting rounds, it won't matter what ammo you put in it if everything is deformed entering the barrel. But you said you super lubed it and still had problems. You could possibly single feed a few rounds just to see if it helps.

I need to clarify a bit...

After lubing the action heavily (more than normal on my 10/22 rifles), I only had 1 light strike (photo below) and 2 failures to extract along with issues inserting and removing the magazine. Since I have the light strike round here, I was able to look at the bullet and there is no visible damage. Just to test, I cycled 5 Aguila Super Extra SV rounds from a mag through the BXR002 by hand just now. 3 of the 5 did not extract when I pulled (not lightly) the bolt back. I inspected a 5 bullets and can't find any damage although I released the bolt at the full rearward position.

My wild guess would be that Bergara made the barrels in-house:

Bergara_BXR0002_AguilaSV_LightStrike.jpg

Thanks for the detailed review.

Sucks that it won’t shoot better. I had high hopes for them. Hopefully it’s just a bad Apple.

Out of curiosity did you check the tightness of the v-block screws? (For that matter maybe the scope rail screws too).

Littlepod makes a good point on ammo. Some barrels are super picky. I had one that hated everything but Eley target and of all things it shot Federal Automatch pretty damn good too but shot everything else pretty crappy.

Hope it starts to come around.

Dang, I was really hoping for a shooter from Bergara. Can't justify the money for groups like that.

Can’t beat them, join them! Always disliked that notion, but it does look good, especially the weight.

Dang, I was really hoping for a shooter from Bergara. Can't justify the money for groups like that.

I've never seen a rifle shoot Aguila. I'd be more surprised if I got a decent group with that garbage.

Unless he sits down and shoots some sk, eley, and Lapua I'll hold my judgement.

I have a 597 that won't shoot anything but eley Target and match. No SK or Wolf comes close in accuracy, and I have zero Lapua available locally to try. Oddly enough it shoots Cci sv much better than green tag.

Yeh, though Wolf Match Extra should perform like SK/Lapua given they're more or less the same ammo, but yes maybe the BXR is finicky and requires a certain ammo.

I am relatively new to rimfire (started shooting this June), and so far my Tikka T1X shoots SK+ and Eley Target around 1.2" @ 100 yards. Eley Tenex at .75". CCI SV/Green Tag at 1.5-2". SK LRM, 1.3". Pistol King 1". Haven't tried Center-X yet, but in general even the value ammo at least shot 1.5-2 MOA @ 100 yards. My 100 yard groups look like his BXR's 50 yard groups and that just shouldn't happen.

Out of curiosity did you check the tightness of the v-block screws? (For that matter maybe the scope rail screws too).

The Bergara barrel is threaded into the receiver. The V-block is only additional support so the torque shouldn't matter.

The scope was removed and remounted. I used a Wheeler digital torque wrench for every screw on the rings.

I've never seen a rifle shoot Aguila. I'd be more surprised if I got a decent group with that garbage.

Unless he sits down and shoots some sk, eley, and Lapua I'll hold my judgement.

I have a 597 that won't shoot anything but eley Target and match. No SK or Wolf comes close in accuracy, and I have zero Lapua available locally to try. Oddly enough it shoots Cci sv much better than green tag.

Remember that the Bergara rifle is priced low enough to where it'll likely see use in other situations beside competition. It needs to group well compared with other rifles in the same price range (like the Ruger Competition) using lower priced ammo too. The Aguila SV normally has a decent group with occasional fliers. It does have more fliers than I like when shooting NRL22. For breaking in and testing, it's an OK ammo given it's low price. Current lots of Wolf Match Extra are made by Eley and Wolf ME is comparable to Eley Club. At this point I was looking for general overall accuracy of the rifle, not try to find the ammo/lot that would provide the absolute best accuracy possible.

I spoke to Bergara Customer service yesterday afternoon providing a link to this review and had a rep call me back just a couple of minutes ago. They are sending a prepaid shipping label for me to return the BXR002 before I do anything else. Bergara is interested in seeing where their QC process failed.

The Bergara barrel is threaded into the receiver. The V-block is only additional support so the torque shouldn't matter.

The scope was removed and remounted. I used a Wheeler digital torque wrench for every screw on the rings.

Remember that the Bergara rifle is priced low enough to where it'll likely see use in other situations beside competition. It needs to group well compared with other rifles in the same price range (like the Ruger Competition) using lower priced ammo too. The Aguila SV normally has a decent group with occasional fliers. It does have more fliers than I like when shooting NRL22. For breaking in and testing, it's an OK ammo given it's low price. Current lots of Wolf Match Extra are made by Eley and Wolf ME is comparable to Eley Club. At this point I was looking for general overall accuracy of the rifle, not try to find the ammo/lot that would provide the absolute best accuracy possible.

I spoke to Bergara Customer service yesterday afternoon providing a link to this review and had a rep call me back just a couple of minutes ago. They are sending a prepaid shipping label for me to return the BXR002 before I do anything else. Bergara is interested in seeing where their QC process failed.

Oh that's nice! Will be interested to see what they find out. Eley Club for whatever reason shoots horrible in my Tikka, so maybe it was similar.

When you say "horrible" with Eley Club, what group size at 50 yards? Seen any 10-shot 4-inch groups that look more like a shotgun patterns than groups? If it was just a random round, I'd put it down to me or the ammo. But I had many big, spread out groups. Remember that the pictures provided were the best groups on a calm day.

If it won't group with Wolf, it's probably not going to group with anything. What you have is a prime example of a gun that doesn't shoot well.
I do not know why some of you guys are testing .22 rimfire accuracy at 100 yards.
That is not how to find out if you have an accurate gun or not.
If you have a target set at 25 yards.......and a 22 gun that will shoot 1/4 inch into that target on a calm session, then the gun is telling you something.
If it's shooting one bullet hole at 25.........but then opening up at 50, common sense will tell you that there is a variable affecting the flight path of that bullet, that has to be accounted for. These types of variables are constantly changing from one second to the next. From one degree to the next. This shows itself far more, the further the projectile has to travel to hit its mark. So when you start testing for inherent accuracy at extended ranges, the variables multiply exponentially in accordance with time of flight from point A, you the shooter.....to point B, the target. There is no way to fully account for this.

Conversely, by moving the target in, the variables are decreased exponentially. Time of flight is substantially shorter. The effect of slight wind or currents is decreased. Your mistakes as the shooter , also decrease. And realize this. Everything is moving out there. Even if you cant see it or feel it. If you ever think there is no wind even during the calmest of calms, light a piece of incense , or a cigarette if you smoke and watch what the smoke is doing.

25 yards is a good measure to see the potential of your gun. For the reasons stated above. There are more reasons but if I started listing them I would be here all night and half the morning and I would still miss something.

T.S.

Reactions: Kisssofdeath
If it won't group with Wolf, it's probably not going to group with anything. What you have is a prime example of a gun that doesn't shoot well.
I do not know why some of you guys are testing .22 rimfire accuracy at 100 yards.
That is not how to find out if you have an accurate gun or not.
If you have a target set at 25 yards.......and a 22 gun that will shoot 1/4 inch into that target on a calm session, then the gun is telling you something.
If it's shooting one bullet hole at 25.........but then opening up at 50, common sense will tell you that there is a variable affecting the flight path of that bullet, that has to be accounted for. These types of variables are constantly changing from one second to the next. From one degree to the next. This shows itself far more, the further the projectile has to travel to hit its mark. So when you start testing for inherent accuracy at extended ranges, the variables multiply exponentially in accordance with time of flight from point A, you the shooter.....to point B, the target. There is no way to fully account for this.

Conversely, by moving the target in, the variables are decreased exponentially. Time of flight is substantially shorter. The effect of slight wind or currents is decreased. Your mistakes as the shooter , also decrease. And realize this. Everything is moving out there. Even if you cant see it or feel it. If you ever think there is no wind even during the calmest of calms, light a piece of incense , or a cigarette if you smoke and watch what the smoke is doing.

25 yards is a good measure to see the potential of your gun. For the reasons stated above. There are more reasons but if I started listing them I would be here all night and half the morning and I would still miss something.

T.S.

Thanks SX. For me I generally test at 100, just because I'm also practicing fundamentals at the same, and I shoot enough rounds to have a statistically significant # on how I'm doing and how the ammo is behaving, and since I shoot at 100-200 for matches, I might as well know how well that ammo performs at those distances too.

Yes if I was purely doing it for ammo sake, then a solid bench rest position with minimal shooter influence would be ideal at 25 yards since minimal wind influence. I sometimes do the opposite if I'm realy curious where I'll go back to 25, and shoot groups to see if it was me or the gun.

For me now I want to be able to hit a 2" target @ 100 yards 100% of the time, otherwise I'm losing points in NRL22, so that's the practice I'm going for these days.

I do value the feedback, your shooting is amazing.

Reactions: jeronimo
Thanks SX. For me I generally test at 100, just because I'm also practicing fundamentals at the same, and I shoot enough rounds to have a statistically significant # on how I'm doing and how the ammo is behaving, and since I shoot at 100-200 for matches, I might as well know how well that ammo performs at those distances too.

Yes if I was purely doing it for ammo sake, then a solid bench rest position with minimal shooter influence would be ideal at 25 yards since minimal wind influence. I sometimes do the opposite if I'm realy curious where I'll go back to 25, and shoot groups to see if it was me or the gun.

For me now I want to be able to hit a 2" target @ 100 yards 100% of the time, otherwise I'm losing points in NRL22, so that's the practice I'm going for these days.

I do value the feedback, your shooting is amazing.

Yeah......I know. What I wrote was more for the OP and testing a new gun.

Eley club has been horrible for me also.

My cheapest ammo I shoot is cci SV or mini mags for golphers.

I've found that zero of the newer cheap ammo is consistent in any way. They're producing absolute crap to keep up with the demand for the hoarders.

The day I was testing (Sunday) all the 25 yard target (portable) stands had been pulled from the rifle range. My guess is that they had all been used Saturday for a pistol match which means the the backers are usually pretty shot up. I was being lazy and just didn't go hunt down a stand to use at 25 yards so instead shot at 50 yards which has a fixed stand on the rifle range. I've shot enough to have an idea what a 22LR rifle should do at 50.

The BXR002 is already on it's way to BPI and it should be in their hands by the end of day Friday. So I expect it'll be at least next week sometime before I'll know anything else.

The day I was testing (Sunday) all the 25 yard target (portable) stands had been pulled from the rifle range. My guess is that they had all been used Saturday for a pistol match which means the the backers are usually pretty shot up. I was being lazy and just didn't go hunt down a stand to use at 25 yards so instead shot at 50 yards which has a fixed stand on the rifle range. I've shot enough to have an idea what a 22LR rifle should do at 50.

The BXR002 is already on it's way to BPI and it should be in their hands by the end of day Friday. So I expect it'll be at least next week sometime before I'll know anything else.

I hope they can figure it out. I want to buy the carbon fiber barrel one if they can fix your guns issues.

Nothing worse than a gun that shoots like a garden hose

I am disappointed in hearing your troubles with the BXR. My 10 day wait is over Sunday. I am hoping for a better experience. I contacted Bergara asking what ammo they recommend, and they said CCI sv is what they test with. I'll start with that.

Clint,

We test our rifles with CCI standard velocity ammunition.

Thank You,

Oliver Botts
Customer Service Rep
BPI Outdoors

These commodities, technology or software were exported from the United States in accordance

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2019 12:18 AM
To: contact <[email protected]>
Subject: New Contact by "Clint"

Contact Form from: https://www.bergara.online:443/us/contact/

Hello
I am picking up my new BXR carbon barreled rifle next week. Can you give me recommendations as which ammo worked well in your testing? I'm very excited to take it out and see how great it is.
Thank you
Clint

I've shot enough to have an idea what a 22LR rifle should do at 50.

Really? You started an accuracy test with Aguila super extra.
A new gun that you havent yet acclimated to. Testing at 50 yards. With a 5 pound trigger. Along with a chamber designed to shoot any 22 round. Failure to fire,,,,,light strikes, jamming up the chamber are all characteristics of shit ammunition, caused by worthless concentricity being fired from a semi automatic gun.
Not saying your gun is accurate and doesn't have other issues. I'm saying you started out completely ass backwards for an accuracy test.
Or maybe it's that your idea of what a 22lr should do and my idea of what a 22lr should do, are light years apart.
The other factor that hasn't even been considered, while you have an idea of what a 22lr should do is : A super light weight gun with a short carbon fiber barrel providing very little resistance to muzzle flip, where perceived recoil is double or triple that of a 22 inch steel barrel or even a 16.5 inch steel barrel.......and your technique with a gun you just got and haven't acclimated to. Which is exactly what your targets reflect.

Not all 22's will do what you have an idea that you think they should do.......which becomes frustratingly more challenging when you don't know how.

Aint trying to give you a hard time. Just some things to think about. Hopefully you get it all straightened out.

T.S. - The hardest people to convince that they may be doing something wrong - are those who know everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kisssofdeath
Just my anecdotal evidence with Aguila rifle match ammo. I have shot that ammo in 5 different barrels (1- Kidd, 2- whistlepig, 1 worked over 10/22 OEM barrel, 1-taccom 3G 10/22 barrel). Of them all only the worked over (by Que) 10/22 barrel would consistently shoot it decent the rest (even the Kidd) would have fliers. Maybe I got some bad boxes but I have stopped buying it because nothing I have likes it and it’s first shot if you’ve shot anything else through it is way off.

Having said that almost all my barrels have shot Eley (who made your wolf) target ammo well and all but one shot RWS match ammo well (it’s my current low price plinking ammo)

I still would expect to see your rifle shoot better with Wolf but maybe it’s a picky barrel and would like CCI SV or something else. It seems rimfires can be some picky buggers with ammo

Let us know when you get it back or what they say about it.

Aguila super extra shoots like crap out of my ruger 10/22. But, I found a few boxes of Aguila 22 Target Competition (Eley prime) at an Academy a while back that shot really well out of that rifle. I had not seen any in quite a while, and I think it has been discontinued, but found a brick of it at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. I’m hopeful that it shoots as well as those few boxes I found previously. If not, the price was right. For accuracy testing a new rifle, I’d sacrifice some of my Lapua center x...

Shooter_X,

While the BXR002 is a light rifle, adding a Harris style bipod and an Athon Midas TAC scope increased the weight. All rounds where fired from a bench using a rear sandbag. I don't have any issue shooting my light weight 10/22 with a bipod and bag which (with the specific optic mounted on it) is almost as light as the BXR002 without the optic. A Lyman digital trigger pull gauge showed the trigger pull on the BXR002 to be between 2 pounds 4.2 ounces to 2 pounds 7.9 ounces over 10 test pulls before the rifle was taken to the range. The light strikes, failures to extract, etc. were mostly mitigated by heavy lubrication of the action and indicative of a break-in period needed rather than bad ammo. While break-in can be required on 10/22s, my other semi-auto 22LR rifles initially cycled well without being lubricated to the degree the BXR002 required.

In my 22LR rifles (only 16 or so), the Agulia SV and CCI SV are neck and neck on accuracy with some rifles having a slight preference between the two. I use these rounds to generally sight in (bottom out) a scope and then break in the barrel. Neither one is match grade ammo. But they are accurate enough to give you an idea if a given rifle is shooting like crap. Maybe I should have said it backwards:

I've shot enough to have an idea what a 22LR rifle should NOT do at 50 yards.

With any half-way usable ammo (of which I am including CCI SV and Aguila SV), you should not have shotgun patterns in excess of 3 inches in series of groups. Some of my earlier groups ranged up to 8 inches with Aguila SV and 6 inches with the first rounds of Wolf Match Extra. I may not be a marksman, but I'm not that bad of a shot (prone or bench) to have it happen repeatedly.

Any 22LR rifle I've owned produced groups averaging 2 inches or less at 50 yards with Wolf Match Extra. The Bergara BXR002 I purchased didn't.

As I pointed out at the end of the review, this is based on a single example of the rifle. The BXR002 is a whole new line from Bergara and they may still have some issues to work out on the production line or early production could have issues that QC missed. Or it even could be that I just ended up with only one that slipped through QC. I don't like speculating and don't think it's fair to the manufacturer. But what I can say is that so far Bergara has been very responsive to the issues I've reported. Now it's a waiting game to let them check over the rifle, address any found issues, return the rifle, and then I can test more and provide additional feedback to Bergara and update this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankr and Bevo
Well went to the LGS and while picking up a gun, I asked if they had one in stock and sure enough they did.

Got to handle it and here are my thoughts.

Pros
Lightweight and well balanced
Stock has nice ergonomics but the plastic reminds me of the ruger boat paddle nylon stocks
Trigger was light
Bolt was smooths

Cons
Magazine was sticky as hell.
Mag release wasn’t as smooth as my PWS mag release although they are similar in design
Trigger reset was awful, like one of the longest 10/22 trigger resets I’ve ever felt.

All in all if they start shooting well, I will be picking one up. I have a spare Kidd trigger kit in the safe that would solve most the issues.

Just am hesitant to spend 575 on a gun that might not shoot. If there was a good chance I could get 1/2”@50 then it would be a no brained.

Am patiently waiting for yours to come back and see what was wrong.

Well went to the LGS and while picking up a gun, I asked if they had one in stock and sure enough they did.

Got to handle it and here are my thoughts.

Pros
Lightweight and well balanced
Stock has nice ergonomics but the plastic reminds me of the ruger boat paddle nylon stocks
Trigger was light
Bolt was smooths

Cons
Magazine was sticky as hell.
Mag release wasn’t as smooth as my PWS mag release although they are similar in design
Trigger reset was awful, like one of the longest 10/22 trigger resets I’ve ever felt.

All in all if they start shooting well, I will be picking one up. I have a spare Kidd trigger kit in the safe that would solve most the issues.

Just am hesitant to spend 575 on a gun that might not shoot. If there was a good chance I could get 1/2”@50 then it would be a no brained.

Am patiently waiting for yours to come back and see what was wrong.

Pay $650 and get the Ruger 10/22 Competition model. I think that's a much better value gun and mine shoots well. This was my first time out with it when testing out ammo. So I know the barrel can shoot. If I get the trigger job done down to 1.5 lbs, it'll be even better. Just too lazy to send it over to Brimestone for their $100 trigger job.

1570256008075.png

Rifle delivery delayed by FedEx in Braselton, GA 30 minutes away from BPI. They should have the rifle by end of the day Monday so hopefully we'll get some news shortly thereafter.

I picked up a BXR last week on a sweet sale. I had a hard time getting the mag to release and the last round would always get dented and fail to feed. Changing to a Ruger mag solved all those problems. Accuracy is acceptable after 200 rounds and I like the rifle. I'll report back after 500 rounds.

Good to hear! I'm still waiting for word back from Bergara on mine.
I want you to know that I'm really not trying to give you a hard time and only trying to help/push you.
My reasoning is such that I am a hard core, inherent accuracy, freak. And sometimes I take it too far while letting my mouth overload my ass. I won't talk about how long I been doing this.
So lots of times I look at targets here and other sites and try to see if I can figure out what , out of a thousand variables, went wrong. Just by looking at it on paper. Given a known accurate gun and as important, known accurate ammunition, most often what I see are two things. Wind and technique. The third thing is Ammo. There are a number of other issues such as not knowing how to properly use an optical instrument designed for guns. You'd be surprised how many people are doing it wrong. But you can't tell them that. They usually get mad. And I end up on someones shit list. Possibly because of what I say, or the way I said it. The number one problem that I see with Optics , is Parallax. And the end user not understanding that just because the scope is in sharp focus, does not mean that he has corrected for Parallax. This is but one of the reasons that the very expensive scopes are far better. Many of them can be tack sharp with little to no parallax error. Trust me when I tell you that all scopes are not capable of this and to correct parallax on quite a few of them , you will be out of focus on your target image.

I'm sure you're a capable shooter and didn't mean to insinuate that you aren't.
I just said what I was trying to tell you, wrong. Which I am famous for. And THAT has not done me any favors.
My apologies. Hoping for the best in your new gun.

Sincerely,
T.S.

I want you to know that I'm really not trying to give you a hard time and only trying to help/push you.
My reasoning is such that I am a hard core, inherent accuracy, freak. And sometimes I take it too far while letting my mouth overload my ass. I won't talk about how long I been doing this.
So lots of times I look at targets here and other sites and try to see if I can figure out what , out of a thousand variables, went wrong. Just by looking at it on paper. Given a known accurate gun and as important, known accurate ammunition, most often what I see are two things. Wind and technique. The third thing is Ammo. There are a number of other issues such as not knowing how to properly use an optical instrument designed for guns. You'd be surprised how many people are doing it wrong. But you can't tell them that. They usually get mad. And I end up on someones shit list. Possibly because of what I say, or the way I said it. The number one problem that I see with Optics , is Parallax. And the end user not understanding that just because the scope is in sharp focus, does not mean that he has corrected for Parallax. This is but one of the reasons that the very expensive scopes are far better. Many of them can be tack sharp with little to no parallax error. Trust me when I tell you that all scopes are not capable of this and to correct parallax on quite a few of them , you will be out of focus on your target image.

I'm sure you're a capable shooter and didn't mean to insinuate that you aren't.
I just said what I was trying to tell you, wrong. Which I am famous for. And THAT has not done me any favors.
My apologies. Hoping for the best in your new gun.

Sincerely,
T.S.

My first month of wondering why I'd get 3 shots together, and 2 "flyers" was all parallax issues. I've spent a lot of time on this now and it takes quite a bit of work on really getting everything on target and doing my eye/head bobble to see if I'm truly parallax free. I know my general parallax marks now for 100/200/25/50 so for comps I'm generally good to do something approximate. I did have a few misses in my last comp, shooting through the lowest ladder rung, hunching over my rifle, which means I wasn't looking straight through it, and I also didn't have my parallax set, and ended up missing shots low, and then realizing it was due to parallax...

For paper/groups shooting, I just shoot my 5 shots w/o lifting/shifting my head now.

Does the carbon fiber barrel actually have the v-block installed? The chrome moly steel barrel doesn't...there's no groove cut in the barrel to even use the v-block., The receiver is backwards compatible to replace the threaded in Bergara barrel with 10/22 stye barrels using the v-block.

Last edited:
rws53,

I don't have the rifle here to verify. It's scheduled to be shipped back to me this week.

Reactions: Frankr
Does the carbon fiber barrel actually have the v-block installed? The chrome moly steel barrel doesn't...there's no groove cut in the barrel to even use the v-block., The receiver is backwards compatible to replace the threaded in Bergara barrel with 10/22 stye barrels using the v-block.

Is that yours? If so how does it shoot.
AFAIK all of their 10/22 guns have the barrels threaded into them. The v-block can be used if you want to use aftermarket barrels supposedly

Is that yours? If so how does it shoot.
AFAIK all of their 10/22 guns have the barrels threaded into them. The v-block can be used if you want to use aftermarket barrels supposedly

yes it is...have not shot it for accuracy yet...just for function and it has a problem with the last round on every magazine jamming...seems to be a magazine problem as I can put any of my Ruger magazines in and there is no problem...I'll be calling Bergara Customer Service.

Yes the Bergara BRX's are threaded into the receiver...what puzzled me is billmeek's statement about the v-block on his carbon fiber barrel (which he now advised he has not verified)

Just to clarify, I knew that the barrel was threaded into the receiver before I ever had the BXR002 in-hand. And I am aware that some 10/22s that have been threaded (i.e. - modified by Randy at CPC) don't require the V-block. It just didn't occur to me to look and see if Begara did/didn't install a v-block on the BXR002. It was an assumption on my part that it would be there in case someone decided to swap out the barrel. The main point of the comment was to state that it wasn't a loose v-block causing accuracy problems as the barrel is threaded.

Can’t wait for the range report.
Went to the local gun store to look at ammo and handled their carbon fiber gun and with a ruger mag everything seemed to dry function fine. It was 580.00 and if it shot near as good as my kidd LW barreled 10/22 then it would be a sweet deal imho. But after Billmeek’s issues I am waiting to see how the chips fall.

it has a problem with the last round on every magazine jamming...seems to be a magazine problem as I can put any of my Ruger magazines in and there is no problem.

This sounds to me like a mag spring that's not tensioned correctly. If it's too tight, you'll have problems stripping off the first round. If it's too loose, you'll have problems on the last round.

Btw if any of you keep the Begara but want to get rid of the stock. Let me know.

Get rid of 10/22 parts? <shock> But then what would I use as the excuse valid reason to build more 10/22s?

Can’t wait for the range report.
Went to the local gun store to look at ammo and handled their carbon fiber gun and with a ruger mag everything seemed to dry function fine. It was 580.00 and if it shot near as good as my kidd LW barreled 10/22 then it would be a sweet deal imho. But after Billmeek’s issues I am waiting to see how the chips fall.

I still think the Ruger Competition 10/22 for a street price of $650 is the better deal. That thing just runs great...

littlepod,

I'm trying to tweak my Ruger Competition to get additional accuracy out of it. I swapped the factory barrel for one of my (brand new) spare Feddersen bull barrels (although you lose the upper contact point on the barrel) and just now swapped out the mediocre factory trigger for a Kidd 2-stage.

Public Service Announcement for 10/22 owners: Kidd 2-stage triggers are highly addictive and once you own one, you'll want them on every 10/22.

littlepod,

I'm trying to tweak my Ruger Competition to get additional accuracy out of it. I swapped the factory barrel for one of my (brand new) spare Feddersen bull barrels (although you lose the upper contact point on the barrel) and just now swapped out the mediocre factory trigger for a Kidd 2-stage.

Public Service Announcement for 10/22 owners: Kidd 2-stage triggers are highly addictive and once you own one, you'll want them on every 10/22.

My stock one is fantastic. It now likes SK+ after I broke it in. Doesn't like most of my eley ammo. Shoots sub 1" at 100 yards.

Mine tends to like the SK Rifle Match in the stock configuration. But I want to see if I can get it to shoot even better with a different barrel. Plus I really need to break this new barrel in and see what it's capable of rather than just leave it laying around untested. Unless it shoots significantly better with the Feddersen, I'll like swap the factory barrel back but leave the Kidd trigger in place.

I still think the Ruger Competition 10/22 for a street price of $650 is the better deal. That thing just runs great...

I agree with that but I am still holding out for a lightweight option that isn’t in that new ugly stock ;)

How long does a break in procedure last? How do you know when it's broke in?

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't the break in procedure, but the change in trigger. Does changing 10/22 triggers possibly change what ammo it likes or not like?

When I first got it, the chamber was super tight. It would not extract live rounds. It extracts live rounds now finally which is great. It took a few hundred rounds for that. I also only shot CCI SV / Green Tag with it in the beginning. I did a 6x5 with Eley Tenex which outshot my Tikka T1X.

Anyhow after probably 500 or so rounds - doing competition practice, so not shooting for groups, I switched to the Super Kidd Trigger. I then took out 6 types of ammo to really see what the gun would like and it shot CCI Green Tag like total crap, Eley Club, Eley Target, also really bad, but SK+ was < 1" groups at 100 yards. So maybe a trigger has something to do with it?

How long does a break in procedure last? How do you know when it's broke in?

Depends on the rifle/barrel. The Feddersen barrels so far have required very few rounds. My avatar is the first 5 rounds (at 25 yards) I fired through my initial Feddersen purchase after one of the guys at the other local NRL22 shooters used a mag to sight it in then tried 10 rounds for accuracy. After an intense cleaning, they may take nearly a box if I leave the barrel wet for storage. My Savage rifles on the other hand usually took multiple boxes of ammo before the barrel settled down. One of them took a few hundred rounds until it was accurate as before cleaning.