• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara HMR 300 Win Mag works better than expected

Amanda4461

Loves Dobermans!
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Asheboro, North Carolina
For those thinking about a Bergara, my story won’t change your mind. Purchased a 300 Win Mag from GunPro.com after seeing good reviews on the Hide, and the transaction was perfect. Two days after payment, I picked up the rifle. Ordered a few AICS mags on the PX, and an Area419 Sidewinder break. Mounted the MK5 on top of a 20moa Area419 base. Thanks to Doug at Cameraland for a great scope and nice Warne rings. Ordered some virgin brass, found it was being scarfed up about as bad as 5.56mm for some reason, and of course the powders were thin. I had four boxes of Federal soft point factory loads from a previous rifle, so today I fired a few groups through the chronograph. After setting the chrono back 15 feet to keep the sky screens from blowing off from the muzzle blast. I ran 20 slow rounds through the rifle. Bolt is smooth, trigger is nice and light, and recoil without the break is stout. The Magpul magazine that came with the rifle worked great, although it did not keep the bolt from sliding over the empty mag. The used AICS mags worked in all regards, so I’ll stick with them. Bolt stays back when mag is empty:)
Group below made me a believer in the Bergara barrel story. I am a 1911 shooter, so my rifle time has been spent on Service Rifle with the Garand. I am looking forward to steel out to 1 mike, after I put the Sidewinder brake on. The stock adjusts easily and fits me fine. My only dislike is the bottom metal. I prefer polished steel bottom metal, so will be on the lookout for something in polished blue to fit. The factory piece works fine, I just like blued steel. Off to stick my Atlas and Sidewinder on this fine rifle, and ring some steel. Anyone wanting a very nice rifle at a decent price, Bergara will do just fine.
BB4DE0BE-6423-401B-A659-0417E9FDAF4C.jpeg

I had issues with the pmag that came with mine from the start. Every 5 rounds or so I'd have a hang up when feeding a new round. I read in another bergara group that bergara doesn't recommend the magpul pmags for their rifles, yet still sends them out of factory with them, for whatever reason. I bought 2 12 rd. MDT mags recently and so far have been working well.

Very nice shooting!

Amanda4461, are you pleased with the Sidewinder's recoil reduction? Thinking of buying the exact rifle and caliber. Thanks.

Amanda4461, are you pleased with the Sidewinder's recoil reduction? Thinking of buying the exact rifle and caliber. Thanks.
Very much pleased!
However, after it blew my next-bench-over neighbors gear off of his bench, he was pissedo_O
I warned the old fool before he ever sat down. His critter club ball hat flew off, knocked his box of ammo over from sitting on its side, and it hit the concrete. I loved it. You'll need a torque wrench to install, but it works great. Comes off easy for cleaning your barrel. A quality piece.