• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara HMR Pro + Chassis vs AI AX

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
I know this is going to seem a little of a wild comparison but im getting ready to buy a AI AX in 6.5, would it be wiser to save 50% and get a Bergara HMR Pro and throw it in a AI chassis? 3k vs 6k

Depends.

A well-respected person on the hide says one of the biggest value points of the AI is the chassis adjustability.

But hIgh-volume AI Shooters will also tell you the ease of barrel changes is a near-essential. And they love the action.

Depends what you want and need. Us poors ain’t got a choice. But it would be a big step up for me personally just to drop $1,000 - $1,200 on a really nice fully-adjustable chassis.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Personally I’d got the less expensive route, lets you buy a ton of ammo and also if you want to do any modifications with the trigger or anything else that cross compatible with the 700 it gives option. The AI is definitely ballin’ but is essentially doubling the price make it twice as good

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I know this is going to seem a little of a wild comparison but im getting ready to buy a AI AX in 6.5, would it be wiser to save 50% and get a Bergara HMR Pro and throw it in a AI chassis? 3k vs 6k

Save up and get the AI.

If the barrel is dead you just swap it out in two minutes. Yeah you can archive the same with a vice, and action wrench and a TQ wrench... maybe

Pulling the barrel for cleaning
Switching cals at the range
Saving on a whole rifle system cuz all you have to do is a barrel change to go from 308 to say 6.5
Traveling with the barrel off and compacting the system down to almost a big laptop size case.

Those are just a few. If none of those make sense to you then yeah, the whole AI might not be for you.

I dont think that all things being equal an AI shoots any better that a build with quality parts and a top of the line barrel on quality ammo. Where i think AI stick head and shoulders above the rest of the gang is reliability. Its a complete package that works pretty well out of the box without user tuning

The trigger. Stock trigger is a reliable two stage trigger and you know you are pulling something.
AI has a comp trigger that's decent. Ive heard that mile high can do some magic on it. Friend of mine had one on his AXMC and it was pretty good. Not make me go change my factory one for it good tho. Took him a bit to get running right and he ended going back to the factory trigger

Broken bolt stops, dicking around with mag followers, bolt hangups, mag seating issues... the list is endless, you ll have a hard time getting any of those with the AI. Maybe the trigger will give you fits if you go comp (see above)

Adjustability... Meh i dont know what the "well respected person" on the hide told the guy above but the AX series yes its adjustable but its not the most adjustable thing out there. Its kind high and the range of comfort for positional shooting is narrower than say the stuff MDT or KRG. That said you can get the chassis to fit you perfectly if you practice with it. It will not hold you back at all.

The AT is 4K fixed. Thats close to what you d pay for the Bergara and you have a better gun no Qs asked. The AO chassis for the AT is nice but im not sure whats the status of their operation these days. With AI max adjustability is AT + AX Butt + AO Chassis but thats a serious coin you are looking to drop

If you go AT fixed you can add a folder down the line and you re done. Thats pretty much the best route going new.

Or hound the PX for a used AT. The show up from 3 to 3.5K all the time

Reactions: Newbie2020
Why not get an AI AT? You then have an AI and the ability to change barrels in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_beardsly
Ended up pulling the trigger on the AI AX. Dream gun and the package was nice. Ended up going 6k on a package with 6.5 barrel, new 308 barrel, comp trigger and monopod