• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara lrp 2.0 300prc or alternatives

supersnipersamurai

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2023
usa
Hello
I am looking to buy my first bolt action and my local LGS has a Bergara LRP 2.0 PRC
I know I need to buy a 22lr first to learn how to shoot and I will do that
Would this LRP be a good buy?
Would be difficult to swap barrels in case I would need one?
I like the rifle because of the looks , maybe I will start long range shooting but cool factor is important to me , I just like to have nice things
Are any better alternatives out there?
My budget is 2-3k for rifle only but I would prefer to keep it close to 2k
Other rifles I looked at were MPA, Seekins, Badrock , but some of them have like a 12 week build time while this LRP is available now
Any recommendations are welcome
Thank you
Have a great day

Last edited:
Youre going to spend 2k on a bergara?!
I imagine its available now because no one else wants it for that much.

Also, a 300prc is a heck of a first rifle to learn on at 3-5 bucks a trigger pull.

Reactions: R_A_W and b6graham
terrible awful stupid nonsense idea

do not start with a 300PRC. especially not a Bergara at that price point

build a 6/6.5CM off an Origin with a Proof barrel and a KRG Bravo and learn something about shooting versus getting man handled by a too expensive to shoot 300PRC

Reactions: DJL2 and R_A_W
I know its a bad idea that's why I said I will buy a 22lr
Hornady match 6.5 creed is $1.7 vs 300pRC $2.4 ... I can eat the difference ,
Lso bergara is a premier action ...I don't know how good it is that's why I am asking
My idea îs buy once cry 2 times but I think 300 PRC is a do it all cartridge long range and hunting
Thank you

Buy once cry once and Bergara do not go together. if looking for the cool factor mpa or badrock. 300 prc will be a wake up call in learning to shoot as you will start learning how to shoot with a rifle that’s going to push you all over then you’ll go buy a smaller chambering and exhibit your bad habits then I’d book a shooting school to break all those bad habits the 300 prc gave you. So you do you boo.

Reactions: b6graham
Your money. But you're doing it way backwards

Bergara isn't premier anything

6.5CM and even 6.5PRC are way better choices for both long range shooting and hunting

But a gun that's good at general target shooting isn't typically one you want for hunting. if you actually 'need' a 300PRC for the big game you're hunting then that rifle is gonna absolutely suck giant balls to shoot more than twice.

And there isn't much in north America that needs a 300PRC to take it down. Realistically even a 6.5PRC or 7PRC is at the upper limit of necessary

Go buy a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM and a 1000 rounds of ammo. When you're done shooting it you should have a idea of what you're doing if you practice well with someone that has knowledge. Otherwise you're just sending lead down range like a buddy of mine that has lots of firearms but slaps the trigger and breaks position on nearly every shot unless I'm there to remind him not to do it.

Last edited:
I guess nobody read my whole post
I said I will buy a 22lr to learn and I need other options if Bergara is not a good buy
Now have some money to burn that I might not have later that's why I wanted a 300PRC

I was looking at Tikka CTR or Super Varmint or Sako S20 Precision
The other option another gentleman said was an origin and proof , ill have to look into it

Last edited:
We read your post. Its you that seems to be missing the point

Your 22lr will be for learning basic fundamentals of handling a rifle. It teaches you nothing of shooting with recoil. 300 PRC recoils a lot.
300 PRC tests your management of recoil, since you have none to speak of its going to whoop up on you.
Now, maybe youre into that, but the large numbers of relatively new magnum rifles always up for sale always evidences that many get more than they bargained for.

At least go to the range where someone is shooting a lightweight magnum and let you shoot a round or two and see if its something you would enjoy before you invest that large amount of money.

We read your post. Its you that seems to be missing the point

Your 22lr will be for learning basic fundamentals of handling a rifle. It teaches you nothing of shooting with recoil. 300 PRC recoils a lot.
300 PRC tests your management of recoil, since you have none to speak of its going to whoop up on you.
Now, maybe youre into that, but the large numbers of relatively new magnum rifles always up for sale always evidences that many get more than they bargained for.

At least go to the range where someone is shooting a lightweight magnum and let you shoot a round or two and see if its something you would enjoy before you invest that large amount of money.
Thank you for your reply and education , now I understand ...at least I hope I understand ,
I am not a big fan of saying don't do it and not explaining why , I had no idea its a difference between 22lr and other calibers, what I thought is you learn on 22 and get used to it not to flinch and then you are good to go
I guess I need a 6.5 creed

Thank you for your reply and education , now I understand ...at least I hope I understand ,
I am not a big fan of saying don't do it and not explaining why , I had no idea its a difference between 22lr and other calibers, what I thought is you learn on 22 and get used to it not to flinch and then you are good to go
I guess I need a 6.5 creed

22 Lr is like have a 5 year old hitting you, a 300 PRC would be like a middleweight boxer hitting you with a crisp jab in comparison. BIG difference, and lots of recoil will make most new shooters flinch a lot. And that can last a long time. A 6.5 CM with a brake will be minimal for recoil and let you concentrate on good mechanics. Ever hear of scope eye? I had a lightweight 300 Win Mag when I was a teen. Cut my eye with the scope a couple times. The guy I traded it to loved it, but he was 6'4" and 250 lbs of muscle. Didn't bother him a bit.

22 Lr is like have a 5 year old hitting you, a 300 PRC would be like a middleweight boxer hitting you with a crisp jab in comparison. BIG difference, and lots of recoil will make most new shooters flinch a lot. And that can last a long time. A 6.5 CM with a brake will be minimal for recoil and let you concentrate on good mechanics. Ever hear of scope eye? I had a lightweight 300 Win Mag when I was a teen. Cut my eye with the scope a couple times. The guy I traded it to loved it, but he was 6'4" and 250 lbs of muscle. Didn't bother him a bit.
Another reason I think I can have a 300PRC is cause I am 300lbs and I have a friend that shoots 12ga and always complains about kick when I barely feel it ...lol

It take experience to handle recoil without developing problems with flinching and fundamentals braking down.
A 6.5 creed will keep up with a 300 PRC pretty close with about half the recoil.

It seems that Bergara can be a hit or miss, whether or not you get a decent one. I think I may have a better one than most folks based on my post at the link below about the recent load development on my girlfriends Bergara HMR Pro, which is a premier action like the LRP 2.0. For the money it is a good rifle, but maybe we got lucky with ours. We are very happy with it and will be keeping it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bergara-hmr-pro-6-5-creedmoor-load-development.7181261/

I'd agree with the previous comments about NOT going for a 300 PRC at this time. If your budget is around $2k, the easy button is this:

Zermatt Origin SA $900 https://evolvedballistics.com/actions/zermatt-arms-origin-short-action/
Proof Prefit $579 https://evolvedballistics.com/barre...5-creedmoor-26-1-8-twist-competition-contour/
Triggertech Diamond Trigger $300
KRG Bravo ~$400

I personally don't like the KRG, but lots of people do. The XLR chassis is nice, but my preference would be a MPA or MDT chassis. However, MPA and MDT are considerably more expensive than the KRG Bravo chassis. There are deals out there that will reduce these prices, but based on the listed ones that comes to a total of $2179.

Add a scope (and muzzle brake if you desire) and go shoot.

Reactions: Bsnyder
It seems that Bergara can be a hit or miss, whether or not you get a decent one. I think I may have a better one than most folks based on my post at the link below about the recent load development on my girlfriends Bergara HMR Pro, which is a premier action like the LRP 2.0. For the money it is a good rifle, but maybe we got lucky with ours. We are very happy with it and will be keeping it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bergara-hmr-pro-6-5-creedmoor-load-development.7181261/

I'd agree with the previous comments about NOT going for a 300 PRC at this time. If your budget is around $2k, the easy button is this:

Zermatt Origin SA $900 https://evolvedballistics.com/actions/zermatt-arms-origin-short-action/
Proof Prefit $579 https://evolvedballistics.com/barre...5-creedmoor-26-1-8-twist-competition-contour/
Triggertech Diamond Trigger $300
KRG Bravo ~$400

I personally don't like the KRG, but lots of people do. The XLR chassis is nice, but my preference would be a MPA or MDT chassis. However, MPA and MDT are considerably more expensive than the KRG Bravo chassis. There are deals out there that will reduce these prices, but based on the listed ones that comes to a total of $2179.

Add a scope (and muzzle brake if you desire) and go shoot.
Thank you
Do I need a gunsmith or I can do it myself, I mean installing the barrel, the rest should be easy
I really like MPA rifles and it looks like there are a lot of people use them in competition but build time is 4 months? , I don't need it now but I hear to wait for something
Now I am at point where I have some $ that I might not have later to spent on a rifle I would like to have in a future that's why I was thinking 300prc , for a 6.5 creed I can just buy a tikka or hmr to learn
I understand 300 PRC is not a caliber for new shooters but I wanted something big , my other option was 338 Lapua lol , most likely it will be for display for a while , I might not even shoot it , I just want one and if I am spending some money I want to have something quality

Last edited:
Thank you
Do I need a gunsmith or I can do it myself, I mean installing the barrel, the rest should be easy
With an action wrench and a barrel vice you can do it yourself. Should be under 200 for the tools and you will be able to swap barrels an infinite amount of times going forward.

A good custom action like an origin is cut to the thousandth so barrels can be made for it sight unseen to spec.

Thank you
I really like MPA rifles and it looks like there are a lot of people use them in competition but build time is 4 months? , I don't need it now but I hear to wait for something
Now I am at point where I have some $ that I might not have later to spent on a rifle I would like to have in a future that's why I was thinking 300prc , for a 6.5 creed I can just buy a tikka or hmr to learn
I understand 300 PRC is not a caliber for new shooters but I wanted something big , my other option was 338 Lapua lol , most likely it will be for display for a while , I might not even shoot it , I just want one and if I am spending some money I want to have something quality

I'll repeat what others have already said, yes you can install and remove a barrel with a couple basic tools. No gunsmith needed. I've done it several times to my Origin. A pic of mine is attached. If you go the route of Origin and prefit barrel, those are available now. If you like the MPA chassis options (I do as well and use the MPA Matrix Pro chassis), you can keep an eye on the PX in this site for used or sometimes nearly new chassis for sale.

I'd suggest finding someone near you that has a 300 PRC and ask to shoot it so you can get an idea of the recoil before you purchase a rifle or build one.

PRS Rifle with second barrel 02.jpg

PRS Rifle with second barrel final target.jpg

Recoils of 300prc is not bad. Just stay straight behind it and load a bit heavier on the bipod.

dude.

it's your money. if you want to waste it and be frustrated then have fun with a 12# 300PRC. but don't come back here making a thread saying you can't get it to shoot groups and blame the manufacturer

I would look for a 9-10 lb browning in 300 prc with 230 Berger’s. Or just factory 225 eldm’s. You’ll be golden.

Unless you are shooting past a mile (which you aren't) or hunting Big game like moose or Grizz, 300PRC is a waste of time, money and noise.

Listen to what people say here. A 6mm creedmoor would be a really good start. Factroy ammo, less recoil that 6.5cm, sorta cheap ammo, shoots very flat. You want to learn on something easy to shoot, you can always work up to the big boys when your fundamentals are sound, that way you aren't wasting money. 6.5CM is also a good one to learn on, and you can get a CTR for less than $1,000 and you will not be able to outshoot it for a long time.

Depending on your budget there are a ton of great options from Tikka CTR in 6,5cm to Seekins Havik, to the PRS production guns from GAP/MPA/ect up to full blown customs.

Not To hi-jack the thread but transversely for someone who has been shooting lr for a couple years and already owns a tikka in a mcmillan stock in 6.5 creedmoor, re-barreled and has been out to a mile. Who has friends that shoot elr with, MRADs and ballistas etc. How does this rifle stack up? I have an itch for a magnum and getting more into the elr stuff a little deeper as I do have access to a 1 mile range and shot there regularly.

Im aware how Bergaras can be I have one buddy whos has one thats been great .308 and its been out to a mile and has been awesome, on the other hand we've seen one that couldnt shoot under like half a foot at 100 yards that had to go back to bergara (cant remember the disposition in the end)

From my understanding this is supposed to be a more high end line from bergara so not sure if that makes a difference. Etiher way im interested in a 300 prc or similar in this price range. I could certainly go the custom route and snag an action etc but have a lot going on at the moment and the thought of something out of the box sounds great. Im aware the rpr is great but ill be honest I hate the way it looks lol

Figured id ask as theres not alot about this rifle specifically on the internet, im sure this has a lot to do with prc being newer and bergaras possibly being hit or miss in general.

if i'm going to buy/build something specifically to go out to a mile regularly...it's sure as shit not gonna be a bergara. even the XLR chassis it comes in is outdated and not what i'd want for a mile gun

Reactions: ChevyGuy2012
From my understanding this is supposed to be a more high end line from bergara so not sure if that makes a difference. Etiher way im interested in a 300 prc or similar in this price range. I could certainly go the custom route and snag an action etc but have a lot going on at the moment and the thought of something out of the box sounds great. Im aware the rpr is great but ill be honest I hate the way it looks lol

Figured id ask as theres not alot about this rifle specifically on the internet, im sure this has a lot to do with prc being newer and bergaras possibly being hit or miss in general.
Bergara's only real value proposition is offering good entry-level generalist rifles at affordable prices. Tikka beats them at this game. I don't want to shit on Bergara unnecessarily... but generally speaking, the more expensive the Bergara, the worse the deal you're getting.

For ELR, the cost of a custom action, quality blank, & smith fees will look small compared to your reloading components/set up if you're going to shoot ELR regularly & seriously using a magnum like .300 PRC (would not be my choice). If you're unsure about diving in, why not spend more time in the 1,000-1,300 yard range with your 6.5 Creedmoor?

There is a video of Paramount tactical where his kid shoots 300prc about 11years old? anyway is just a kid , if that kid can shoot 300prc I am sure I can

I'm assuming you're referring to your size vs. the kid's.

Newsflash: with a sizably braked 300 PRC, size doesn't matter (to a point). As a matter of fact, with people not well-versed in recoil management, I've typically seen smaller people better control the recoil. Bigger guys think they can outmuscle the rifle (which is the last thing you want to do), while smaller folks can't muscle it and absorb instead (which is exactly what you want to do).

Reactions: R_A_W
I do spend time with my 6.5 creedmoor at those ranges, again the rifle has actually been out to a mile on several occasions 4 foot by 4 foot target no luck on the 12 inch plate yet. I prefer shooting gas guns they are just what I like and after shooting a .308 LMT for a bit I'm back in with a 6.5 LMT. I use this rifle in the 700-1200 range and feel that is a lot over overlap when I look at both of the 6.5's in my stable.

Sure I push longer pills at higher pressures in the bolt gun but at the end of the day they are still both 6.5 creedmoors. Im on the east coast and my gasser is primarily going to be for shooting quantified performance and similar matches but ill be using my gasser for any prs matches I tag along to as well cause again its my jam. If I was series about shooting prs matches certainly id just stick with my bolt gun and probably rebarrel the next go round in one of the new hot cartridges but thats not what I'm looking to do.

I have access to a mile range and I often go there with buddies shooting magnums, there are all kinds of different distances and places to shoot at on this range but when we are on the mile line Im certainly getting the itch for something that is a little more competitive/consistent at those distance past 1200.

At the current moment I have several other important things I'm handling in life or I would just buy what I really want a barrett MRAD however unfortunately its not in the cards at the moment. I'm not unsure about diving in again I already do this Im interested in a more proper tool for the job and diversifying my collection more again with the 2 6.5s. Essentially id be unloading my tikka and possibly some kac AR stuff to make this happen.

As far as the reloading goes that comes with the territory and is a factor in why Im essentially not jumping into the MRAD at the moment however regularly for getting this thing out for me would be about 4 times a year likely so not super often again this is all at the same range im just mainly shooting a 6.5 gasser cause I like it and want to compete with it.

So essentially Im looking for a magnum in the 3k or below range (without glass $2k would be even better) that I can bring out anytime I feel like it and play at the mile range either way Im at the place once a month so It can come as often as it makes sense or doesnt. Ive certainly considered keeping the 6.5 mainly due to ammo commonality and all that good stuff but the reality is itll mostly sit due to the gas gun thing and when it does come out ive still got the itch for the bigger gun.

Reactions: R_A_W
That's likely where ill end up just figured id swing at a turnkey option if I could but like most things it seems if it really was the easier route youd see it more.

if it really was the easier route youd see it more.
You definitely should see it more than you do.

$649 Proof Prefit 7PRC (also would not my caliber choice, but Proof's prefit options are limited)
$1000 Origin action
$200-250 TriggerTech from PX
$100 brake off PX
$450 KRG chassis

$2449 total, although I think you can do better

7 prc definitely caught my eye, 300 prc sounds cool big aerodynamic projectile and all. I've thought about everything 300 win and up, in reality done right I know they all should get the job done. Which caliber do you prefer? I don't really hunt mainly just target shoot but you never know my father in law likes to and I plan on spending time with him doing the normal white tail stuff around here which id just bring the 6.5 along for or carry one of his shotguns or something.

The thought of a big elk hunt is intriguing to me though and if we got some time ya never know may be something that could happen so not out of the question.

I'd search around in the ELR subforum.

I'm not really the guy to ask, but .300NM would be my first choice for dedicated ELR target shooting. I've also always wanted a .338LM. Neither is a North American hunting cartridge, however. If there's a good chance you'll be hunting with the build, 7PRC might actually be a decent choice to start out with (particularly if you start making compromises on weight). That being said, the 7 & 300 PRC cartridges are overrated, IMO. Looking at how all the WSMs, SAUMs, probably the 6.8 Western, etc. have turned out... I'm also very hesitant to just accept/adopt any new magnum cartridge. Sourcing components can be a bitch. 300NM & 338LM at least have .mil support.

What's being used for Ko1M is insightful.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChevyGuy2012
There is a video of Paramount tactical where his kid shoots 300prc about 11years old? anyway is just a kid , if that kid can shoot 300prc I am sure I can

his kid is 9 years old... I was next to him this past weekend and he hit steel @ 1000 on one of his first shots. very nice family.