• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Mods?

blackops01

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2022
Clarkston
Hope all is doing good.
I was looking at picking up a Bergara BXR and was wanting to know what mods people would recommend out of the gate?
I have been reading and looks like people mention Ruger mags, new trigger and new bolt. A lot of people mention Kidd, I never heard of them until I started looking at BXR. So I dont know much about them and how they compare to other companies which I have experience with Volquartsen and Tandemkross. I have used both Vol and TK for my pistols MK IV and TX22 Comp for triggers, etc and love them. Kind of where I would have been leaning unless there is something better out there.

Either way wanted to get some feedback so I could look into picking up stuff for when I do pick up the rifle.

Thanks

Does Kidd make a 10/22, I assume that is what you are saying? I did not know that they did full firearms. I will have to check and take a look.
I was looking at Volquartsen rifles but was not sure on the costs but it would also be way more expensive even if I did the BXR and upgrades possibly.
Thanks for the suggestion appreciate it.

Does Kidd make a 10/22, I assume that is what you are saying? I did not know that they did full firearms. I will have to check and take a look.
I was looking at Volquartsen rifles but was not sure on the costs but it would also be way more expensive even if I did the BXR and upgrades possibly.
They do, but the way I bought ours was "barreled action"...essentially everything but the stock. Kidd only makes 10/22 clones, in .22lr. So, if you go to their website, select "receiver" and then click and choose for everything, barrel, bolt, charging handle, trigger. Once you get it all put together the way you want, you can click buy, and have it sent to your FFL. Once it gets there, you do the normal paperwork required for where you live, take it home, put it in a stock, add optic and get to shooting. They are fantastic rifles, IMHO the best available.

Reactions: blackops01
For many years, Volquartsen was the place to go for top-shelf 10/22s and parts. Although still good, Kidd has surpassed them in almost every way. If you are already asking about upgrades to a factory rig, just order a Kidd. Otherwise you wind up with a pieced together Kidd and a box of Bergara parts.

That said, VQ is still the best for Ruger pistols and Tandemkross puts out some really neat stuff. I love their doublekross magazines.

How far do you want to go down the 10-22 rabbit hole? With a Ruger or BXR, you can spend the money a Kidd will cost. I built a few 10-22's, then went to a Kidd Supergrade barreled action with Kidd's two stage trigger ( best 10-22 trigger made). I put it into a Titan stock with Titan's rear anchor. Do a lot of research be for buying anything. good luck.
Mark

Thanks guys appreciate it. Learned a lot here. I did not know that about Kidd compared to VQ. Yeah my experiences with .22 have mainly been pistols and VQ and TK have been great for aftermarket parts and upgrades. I kind of thought maybe the same for rifles.

Yeak you are not kidding, looks like this is a big rabbit hole that I started down. I thought it was going to be relatively simple. But all very good information and definitely learning a lot that is for sure.

Another thing what mags are worth using and investing in? I heard the Begara ones are crap (so dont buy or if you do get a Begara just throw the magazine in the trash). But heard regular Rugar 10, 15 and 25 rounders and the T/C 10 rounder are the way to go. Is that a correct statement or others I should look at.

So here is a dumb question then, since yes you are right by the time you spend the money on aftermarket parts you probably are at or exceeded the cost of a custom built Kidd rifle.

If you had to go the factory rig route mainly because you could not afford the custom Kidd rifle. But down the road you would eventually end up upgrading parts. Would you still end up with a competent rig from starting from a factory rig pieced together parts compared to the custom built one?

Just was curious since I could see my self being with the stock rig for a while until I had the $ to do upgrades. But still have fun and enjoy it until I could upgrade. Rather than wait months or so down the road before I could just buy the custom rig.

Last edited:
Thanks guys appreciate it. Learned a lot here. I did not know that about Kidd compared to VQ. Yeah my experiences with .22 have mainly been pistols and VQ and TK have been great for aftermarket parts and upgrades. I kind of thought maybe the same for rifles.

Yeak you are not kidding, looks like this is a big rabbit hole that I started down. I thought it was going to be relatively simple. But all very good information and definitely learning a lot that is for sure.
This is nothing. Go over to Rimfire Central. 10/22 is a religion over there.
Another thing what mags are worth using and investing in? I heard the Begara ones are crap (so dont buy or if you do get a Begara just throw the magazine in the trash). But heard regular Rugar 10, 15 and 25 rounders and the T/C 10 rounder are the way to go. Is that a correct statement or others I should look at.
Ruger BX-1. The 10-rounder that is available in the 3-pack. Fun fact: 10 of them will fit perfectly in a Pelican 1040 case.
I have also had good luck with the Tandemkross Doublekross mod.
So here is a dumb question then, since yes you are right by the time you spend the money on aftermarket parts you probably are at or exceeded the cost of a custom built Kidd rifle.

If you had to go the factory rig route mainly because you could not afford the custom Kidd rifle. But down the road you would eventually end up upgrading parts. Would you still end up with a competent rig from starting from a factory rig pieced together parts compared to the custom built one?
Maybe. Sometimes all the different brands of parts play nicely, and sometimes the minor differences and/or tolerance stacking leads to gremlins to chase down. For some, that journey is part of the appeal and enjoy the learning process. For others, they want to open a rifle case and have reliable and accurate stick that if it isn't, they can call Tony Kidd up and he will make it right.
Just was curious since I could see my self being with the stock rig for a while until I had the $ to do upgrades. But still have fun and enjoy it until I could upgrade. Rather than wait months or so down the road before I could just buy the custom rig.
Order from Kidd or VQ-More $$$ up front, but 100% compatibility, support and worth more if you ever want to sell/trade.
Stock and add-More $$$ in the end, may have to be creative with fitment, support will be by randos on forums, and no Frankenruger is worth a 100% rig.

It looks like the fork in your road is either a journey learning about 10/22 parts, or waiting a few months and ordering your dream rifle.

If I were to only want one 10/22, I would order a Kidd. If I were to want a 10/22 takedown, a 3lb steel challenge rifle, a Charger in an arm-braced chassis, and a PWS Summit, don't say I didn't warn you. These things are addictive.

Ruger 10 round Black mags. Factory is the way all of us start out. I have not shot a Bergara BXR and do not know much about them. The top 2 upgrades are Barrels and triggers. I would shoot the gun and see what you want to upgrade. You may not need anything. I have a Ruger target that shoots great as is. After having a one Kidd, I upgraded the trigger with a Kidd 2 stage trigger set at 8oz/8oz. They adjust from 3oz/ 3oz to 1.25lb/1.25. my Supergrade has a 3oz/3oz The Kidd 2 stage is the BEST 10-22 Trigger made, but they cost and are worth the money.
Good luck
Mark

Thanks guys for the feedback as always.
Well @Tortuga I guess better I posted here than on Rimfire Central and got lit up for being a noob or saying that went against the religion LOL ha ha ha. I did not know about that forum so I am going to go and join it. Thanks for letting me know.

Gotcha on the factory mags from Ruger I will stick with them it looks like.

Yeah I learned a lot with my other pistol and AR builds by building them. But you are right I could see how mixing and matching parts may not be as good as getting a full up firearm from one place where everything is built. So yeah that is definitely something to consider.

I think I will end up going with a stock Begara BXR or something like it for a while since I think it will curb my itch for mean time. Then I can either upgrade it and learn about parts, etc. But then once I get addicted to it and want something better and either tinker or do what @Tortuga and end up with some dream gun builds when I know a lot more and have a better appreciation of what I am getting myself into.

Sounds like Kidd makes some of the best stuff out there at least.

Question since I dont know what I dont know about 22, the CZ Varmint Precision Chassis how is it trigger compared to what is out there aftermarket wise? I have one and it is stock, have not changed much but also dont have any experience with anything else to have a baseline for where it stands.

Thanks

Kidd is head and shoulders above Volquartsen. Personally I'd build a 10/22, they're easy, I've done 4 of them, and put a kidd trigger in it. Feddersen has a bronze receiver if you want something that stands out.

Yeah so you all have me looking at builds as well. I was looking at the Kidd website and there barrels.
What does it mean 18" Lightweight Fluted .870" Black 762 Threaded and Capped or ........... 556 Threaded and Capped? The 762 and 556 has me confused as I am not sure what that is refereeing to.

Also looking at all the barrels when would you want a Heavy Bull Barrel vs Lightweight Barrel vs Ultra Lightweight Barrel?

Why would one want to choose a .870 vs .920?

What are your thoughts on the KRG Bravo 10/22 Chassis?

What is the difference between Kidd Rifle Barreled Action Supergrade with build options and Classic Slip-Fit with build options?

This is one hell of a rabbit hole ..... uggggggh

762 vs 556 is just a different flute pattern.

Threaded or not, is really on you. If you ever want to run a suppressor, get it threaded. Compensators have very little helpful effect. I thought a compensator would be the way to go, so the shot timer would be able to hear the report, it doesn't matter. We had a guy shooting with a suppressor a few matches ago, and the shot timer had no problem hearing the report.

Barrel weight is dependent on what you intend to use it for. Bench rest: Heavy barrel. Rimfire challenge, or woods gun, ULW. A compromise, go with the light weight.

Keep in mind, anything that is supposed to do multiple things well, won't.

@Cowpokey thanks I was like what does a 762 or 556 round have to do with the .22LR barrel. What you said makes way more sense now. Yeah I knew the threaded portion and would probably get threaded so I could run my suppressor. But question I just thought of does having a threaded barrel and running it without a suppressor make it less accurate than a non-threaded barrel? I assume the suppressor when running it will change things.

Gotcha on the barrel weights appreciate the feedback as always/

762 vs 556 is cosmetic, nothing more. My youngest daughter went with the 556, the other four Kidd ULW rifles in the family are all 762.

All of our Kidd ULW rifles are threaded. I'll be putting a Dead Air Mask on my Kidd Squirrel (ULW) when it gets out of jail.

I went non-threaded for my Vudoo, since it will only be used for PRS stuff, everyone has to wear eyes/ears anyway.

As far as the .870 vs .920, that's just a weight thing. Both barrel profiles will need a stock or chassis that can fit a "bull barrel" (.920 is the default size).

What is the difference between Kidd Rifle Barreled Action Supergrade with build options and Classic Slip-Fit with build options?
see The Supergrade barrel has more support by the action, than the slip fit (better accuracy). The Supergrade has a quick removable barrel it is great for cleaning. You do not need, to have the holes in your stock, just remove the barreled action from the stock. The Supergrade barrels are only made by Kidd. IMO, Kidd makes the best barrels. Slip fit barrels are made by many.

@MarkCZ thanks for sharing the video, that is pretty cool. So you just would need to make sure the stock or chassis that you are using would be able to accept the Supergrade Action correct? I would not have even known there was a compatibility other then when I was looking at the KRG Bravo 10/22 Chassis and it said "*Compatible with factory Ruger 10/22 as well as 10/22 (22LR) receivers from Brownells, Tactical Solutions, Volquartsen, and KIDD "Classic Slip-Fit" (with or without rear tang screw)". That is when I went to look and tried to figure out what the difference was and thought mainly it was just a way it attaches or fits into the stock/chassis. But looks like it is more than that.

So you would just have to find a stock/chassis that is compatible with the Kidd Supergrade then.

I had to know. I called Kidd, they said both actions have the same footprint, and the Supergrade will fit the Bravo, and will take the rear anchor. The thing you want with Kidd action is the rear anchor. you have a 2 screw anchor, not just one. You can have that with both actions. I like the Bravo, My Tikka T1X is in one.

From the start my Supergrade, was going in a Titan stock with Titan's rear anchor. I like the Titan and will not change it. But, if i were doing it today, I go with the Bravo.
Mark

@MarkCZ good to know. I was going to send Kidd an email but calling them is way faster. The thing I started to think was maybe there was no way to do the quick change of barrel with the Bravo. I guess unless you just drill a hole in order to get the angled Allen key up there. But good to know the footprint is the same with both.

I have to check out the Titan stock, I forgot you mentioned that earlier.

Anyone have any thoughts on optic to put on a 10/22 or what people are running?
I heard people mention a scope then others as mentioned red dot.

This is my bxr with carbon barrel. Just started to shoot steel challenge and wanted something better than my stock 10/22 but didn't see the need to spend 2 grand to hit a pizza box at 15 yards. I had good confidence with bergera as I have three of there rifles already and they shoot lights out. The chassis is from taccom and my build is 3.7 pounds. The chasis and butstock was only like 215 and I found the cabin bxr for 510. I put a sig romeo 1 on the top and am having a great time ahooting it. I did have to doctor up the mags a bit to get them to drop freely but that is really it.

Attachments

• 20220606_120531.jpg
    20220606_120531.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 141