• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Premier 6 ARC?

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
Ok, so I have a 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara Premier that I’ve barely shot. Tell me if this might work. I’m a noob at conversions and 6 ARC.

Get a 6 ARC barrel from…someone. Buy the PPC boltface from Bergara. Buy whatever mags work with 6 ARC (MDT?). Done?

Last edited:
Sounds like it. Barrel, PPC/ARC bolt or bolt head, barrel, MDT mags (hadn’t seen anything else available) is what I came up with when thinking about a Bighorn or similar build.

Reactions: carbonbased
I can savvy a 6 arc But 6br is a peach and a lot easier most anyway you skin the cat with ur starting point.
My .02
I have a 6br and am patiently waiting for the local 1000yd range to accept me (full). The only problem with using 6br is I don’t reload and ammo is $2.50+/rd, and the 6 ARC factory ammo is way cheaper.

I could sell the BR brass, though…but once I retire, with a fixed income I might regret that!

I shoot colony rats so higher volume shooting. The 1000yd range thing was going to be my version of golf. Maybe outrageous plaid in in order?

Camo plaid? Ha

Just kicking the tires, I guess. Stupid gun hobby!

I should say thanks for everyone’s advice. Thanks guys.

Don’t want to be that one doofus on here who only wanted people to suggest what he already had decided upon, and who then continually uttered the immortal words:

NOT APPRECIATED! (This is a joke)

(Where is that thread? I think I read it as it happened. Funny stuff.)

Last edited:
Is their ppc bolt face readily available? Crown ridge does great work if you are looking for a barrel nut setup
I don’t know if their PPC bolt face available. I was going to look for a shouldered barrel, but thanks for the barrel nut info!

What about 6 GT and keep the same bolt face? There is factory ammo as well.

@Birch7 I do believe there is a fly in the Bergara ARC ointment. You are right, Premier’s don’t yet come in a PPC caliber. Doesn’t mean they don’t have a PPC bolt face part available, but makes it very unlikely.

I had remembered they came in a P-something caliber, and turns out that caliber is PRC.

Goddamnit. Fucking ARC bitchslaps this noob again!

Well, I have a 223 Bergara bolt head lying around. Perhaps I could find a smith to open that up.

Bergara doesn't offer a PPC bolt face/bolt head for the Premier series of rifles at this time, so far only .378" (in limited quantities from small-run .223 rifles), .473" and .540" for your standard .308 based cartridges and the magnum cartridges.

You’ll want to confirm that the bolt face isn’t just case-hardened on the Premier bolt. Bergara case-hardens their normal stuff, basically means you can’t machine it without compromising strength, or so I was told by Gretan (that’s why they used to charge more to bush Bergara bolts, I don’t know if they even offer that service anymore).

Buy another 223 bolt face.
$400? At that point I’m into the cost of a Bighorn and I want the added capability. The math made sense to me or my desire for another custom overcame sticking with Tikka.

$400? At that point I’m into the cost of a Bighorn and I want the added capability. The math made sense to me or my desire for another custom overcame sticking with Tikka.
Sorry man, thought you were OP. Not weighing in on the Zermatt plan, I thought I was talking to someone who wanted to swap between 223 and 6 ARC by converting a Bergara, and had neither bolt face in hand.

My bad, carry on 👍

Reactions: TheOE800
To test out the cartridge, I bought a Savage Switchback, tossed the factory stock, and dropped it in a MDT chassis to create my own budget precision rifle. It is accurate and feeds reliably but heavy.

My conclusion after testing it vs my 243 Kimber.

1) For a hunting gun, get a 6mm Creedmoor or a 243 unless one can get hold of a Howa mini action for a really lightweight build. The ARC simply cannot match the velocities of those cartridges because it has less powder capacity.

2) In a target rifle, it is fantastic.
- no recoil
- factory ammo
- I have never heard of anyone getting getting bad accuracy. My gun is more accurate than me. With a better action, trigger, and barrel, I think it would extremely accurate.
- it won't burn out barrels quickly like the 6mm CM will.