• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara premier hmr pro heavy barrel

Jas1984$

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I’m looking at getting a new bolt rifle for a Christmas gift to myself and I’m already setup to reload 6.5 creed and ran across the bergara’s I’m looking hard at the Premier hmr pro with the heavy barrel, I was just wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts on this rifle and if it’s worth the money over the normal hmr?

thank you

I have a Bergara Premier LRP and I have been pretty happy with it. Minor feeding issues (out of spec long extractor) that Bergara kindly took care of.
BUT I always end up grabbing one of my "custom" assembled rifles over it. I often use the Bergara as a loner/backup for teaching, training, or hunting. A great rifle for someone who wants turnkey.
For $1600 I would be looking at an ARC Nucleus or Bighorn Origin "build" (Prefit barrel, Bravo chassis, TT trigger). A few hundred more but I like the actions better and more easily available prefits. Accuracy will likely be slightly better but dependent on individual barrel and many other factors.
Most Bergara's shoot well and their barrel manufacturing process is good (Shilen was an advisor). My LRP will hold 0.75 MOA (10 Shot). Bergara was offering a rebarrel service that was great but it has been so long that I would need to look into it again.
Just my opinion, but both great options. YMMV

Reactions: Jas1984$
Tl;dr: I own the HMR with aftermarket upgrades. Don’t buy the HMR Pro. Buy a custom gun.

Agreed that you should stretch a little further and go custom. I have the HMR and have put a TT and the Premier bolt in it, so I’m creeping up on the HMR Pro cost at this point, and I replaced the barrel with a Hart so actually I’m well over the cost. The factory barrel wasn’t nearly accurate enough, even over 5 shots.

It’s a fine gun if you don’t think you’ll ever burn out a barrel, but rebarreling them is a pain because of the coned breech. Many outfits won’t do it, although some will; it’s just a bit of a pain and you can’t use any of the discounted barrels that crop up on here regularly. The ergonomics of the stock are actually excellent for a factory rifle, especially with some minor modifications, but you can’t run mag-length rounds because the mag well cutout in the receiver isn’t big enough.

My action is plenty smooth, and the swappable bolt faces is a really nice touch on the Premier bolt. The Premier action is also stainless, which I prefer for a hunting gun because it’s much more corrosion-resistant.

There’s a lot to like about the HMR, standard and especially Pro, but for $1600 you’re far better off saving up another month or two and buying an off-the-shelf custom gun. You can build yourself too, but if you’re gonna do that you’ll have to spend time waiting and hunting to get under the cost of a full build. Trigger, scope rail, stock with bottom metal, barrel with threaded muzzle will add up quick.

Its a nice rifle---BUT you are creeping into semi-custom territory with the premier.

I got a used one in 300 win mag that I shoot the piss out of. Its a good rifle. Dreading re-barreling. But damn its a nice rifle. (probably why i favor Bergara over Tikka).

If you want one, go ahead. Its not a bad choice.

Tl;dr: I own the HMR with aftermarket upgrades. Don’t buy the HMR Pro. Buy a custom gun.

Agreed that you should stretch a little further and go custom. I have the HMR and have put a TT and the Premier bolt in it, so I’m creeping up on the HMR Pro cost at this point, and I replaced the barrel with a Hart so actually I’m well over the cost. The factory barrel wasn’t nearly accurate enough, even over 5 shots.

It’s a fine gun if you don’t think you’ll ever burn out a barrel, but rebarreling them is a pain because of the coned breech. Many outfits won’t do it, although some will; it’s just a bit of a pain and you can’t use any of the discounted barrels that crop up on here regularly. The ergonomics of the stock are actually excellent for a factory rifle, especially with some minor modifications, but you can’t run mag-length rounds because the mag well cutout in the receiver isn’t big enough.

My action is plenty smooth, and the swappable bolt faces is a really nice touch on the Premier bolt. The Premier action is also stainless, which I prefer for a hunting gun because it’s much more corrosion-resistant.

There’s a lot to like about the HMR, standard and especially Pro, but for $1600 you’re far better off saving up another month or two and buying an off-the-shelf custom gun. You can build yourself too, but if you’re gonna do that you’ll have to spend time waiting and hunting to get under the cost of a full build. Trigger, scope rail, stock with bottom metal, barrel with threaded muzzle will add up quick.
Thank you for the info... I was really looking into a custom build cause I don’t have a problem doing it myself but the way parts are right now it hard to build a custom without having to wait for months to get anything besides maybe an action right now if your lucky enough to find something in stock. I actually looking at doing a 6gt custom build to start out but since I’m already setup to reload creed I figured I would add a bolt gun to go along with my gasser.
As much as I would love to do a custom build I don’t really feel like waiting the long times to get parts.
Knowing about the barrel situation on the Bergara‘s does have me a little worried now though, I might have to start looking at something different now.

Thank you for the info... I was really looking into a custom build cause I don’t have a problem doing it myself but the way parts are right now it hard to build a custom without having to wait for months to get anything besides maybe an action right now if your lucky enough to find something in stock. I actually looking at doing a 6gt custom build to start out but since I’m already setup to reload creed I figured I would add a bolt gun to go along with my gasser.
As much as I would love to do a custom build I don’t really feel like waiting the long times to get parts.
Knowing about the barrel situation on the Bergara‘s does have me a little worried now though, I might have to start looking at something different now.
Check out these vendors:
Altus shooting
Mile high shooting accessories
Bugholes
Brownells

Those vendors always have triggers, actions, barrels and chassis in stock. You could build something pretty quick between the 4 of them.

Check out these vendors:
Altus shooting
Mile high shooting accessories
Bugholes
Brownells

Those vendors always have triggers, actions, barrels and chassis in stock. You could build something pretty quick between the 4 of them.
I have actually been in contact off and on with mile high since they are here in Colorado... the whole barrel deal might lead me to custom build or something different over the Bergara atleast.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
Agreed with @Vandoogle13, you can’t get parts direct from makers mostly but it’s not hard to find basically any build component (action, barrel, chassis or stock + bottom metal, trigger) right now from the various vendors. Pick what you want and ask around here for where to find it, I expect you could have it all in hand within two weeks.

Agreed with @Vandoogle13, you can’t get parts direct from makers mostly but it’s not hard to find basically any build component (action, barrel, chassis or stock + bottom metal, trigger) right now from the various vendors. Pick what you want and ask around here for where to find it, I expect you could have it all in hand within two weeks.
I have been doing some searching around and I think I might have it nailed down... I’m now looking at a origin action and a proof stainless prefit which I have found both in stock, the rest I can piece together. Now I just need to decide if I want to buy the tools to put it together or have someone else do it. I have built a lot of ar platforms in the past but never a bolt rifle, seems easy enough if I want to drop the money on a barrel vice and action wrench. I do shoot a lot since I have a private range close so it might be worth while to invest in the tools for this setup atleast.

My wife and two daughters shoot and hunt. We run 4 actions (2 TL3s, an origin, and a nucleus with a thicker lug to run TL3 barrels) with a pile of barrels in different calibers. I use a Ross vice and action wrench and often change barrels at the range. It is a lot cheaper than owning 20 different actions, stocks, optics, etc.

Having a barrel vice and action wrench opens up the possibility of fairly quick caliber swaps. I have recorded the zero changes for each barrel and can get within .1 or .2 mils of zero on barrel swaps. For stuff where we want a 1/4 moa capable gun we use shouldered barrels cut by our gunsmith. For stuff where 1/2 moa is acceptable we use Criterion savage prefits with the nut red loctited in place.

You are definitely on the right track in my opinion. By building on an origin you can have 1 optic, trigger, action and swap between barrels and stocks for different applications. If you get something like a Bravo you could run it bare bones with no weights for hunting and add weight if you want to shoot a heavier rifle for long range sessions or matches.

My wife and two daughters shoot and hunt. We run 4 actions (2 TL3s, an origin, and a nucleus with a thicker lug to run TL3 barrels) with a pile of barrels in different calibers. I use a Ross vice and action wrench and often change barrels at the range. It is a lot cheaper than owning 20 different actions, stocks, optics, etc.

Having a barrel vice and action wrench opens up the possibility of fairly quick caliber swaps. I have recorded the zero changes for each barrel and can get within .1 or .2 mils of zero on barrel swaps. For stuff where we want a 1/4 moa capable gun we use shouldered barrels cut by our gunsmith. For stuff where 1/2 moa is acceptable we use Criterion savage prefits with the nut red loctited in place.

You are definitely on the right track in my opinion. By building on an origin you can have 1 optic, trigger, action and swap between barrels and stocks for different applications. If you get something like a Bravo you could run it bare bones with no weights for hunting and add weight if you want to shoot a heavier rifle for long range sessions or matches.
My thoughts exactly, I have a proof prefit barrel, trigger tech trigger and a viper barrel vice on the way as of last night. I found a ffl in my neighborhood and am in contact with them already for the action.
For the stock/chassis I’m leaning towards the bravo since I have one on my Seekins and its pretty comfortable to me plus they come with a pretty good price tag.
The only place I have been able to find a action wrench is bug holes so far but I’m still on the hunt for one.

Liking the direction you’re taking, wish I’d done something similar
Im thinking I will be happy when its all said and done, I will probably keep my eyes open for other barrels as well cause I do like tinkering with other calibers and I’m setup to reload a lot of different stuff so it should be fun.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
My thoughts exactly, I have a proof prefit barrel, trigger tech trigger and a viper barrel vice on the way as of last night. I found a ffl in my neighborhood and am in contact with them already for the action.
For the stock/chassis I’m leaning towards the bravo since I have one on my Seekins and its pretty comfortable to me plus they come with a pretty good price tag.
The only place I have been able to find a action wrench is bug holes so far but I’m still on the hunt for one.
I don't have time to read all the replies under this. Bughole action wrench is good because it has a cutout for the origin ejector. Without the cutout you have to remove the ejector to insert the action wrench, a huge pita.

I don't have time to read all the replies under this. Bughole action wrench is good because it has a cutout for the origin ejector. Without the cutout you have to remove the ejector to insert the action wrench, a huge pita.
No worries and ya I was reading that so I will probably order there’s.

You mentioned earlier your in Colorado, if your interested in shooting matches check out wycoprl.com for local matches times/dates.

Where did you get a lug that allows your Nucleus to take TL3 barrels?

You mentioned earlier your in Colorado, if your interested in shooting matches check out wycoprl.com for local matches times/dates.

I was actually up at Mile high picking up my action yesterday and was talking to a guy up there about matches and he mentioned it to me. I have never shot a match but I’m interested in going to a few and watching to see if it’s something I might want to get into. I’m just not a fan of a lot of people around me when I’m shooting so it might not be a good idea who knows lol.

I was actually up at Mile high picking up my action yesterday and was talking to a guy up there about matches and he mentioned it to me. I have never shot a match but I’m interested in going to a few and watching to see if it’s something I might want to get into. I’m just not a fan of a lot of people around me when I’m shooting so it might not be a good idea who knows lol.
Nice! We were all new at one point and the people are extremely cool. Everyone helps everyone out and it's a good time, I highly recommend it! 👌

I'm not from Colorado, but I will say, if you are humble and willing to learn, the people in this sport are awesome. I have met great people from all over country shooting matches. If you would happen to have a bad experience with the people please don't give up on the first time out. The bad experiences are very isolated. Most people are truly good people and will help you tremendously with anything you need if you ask.

I'm not from Colorado, but I will say, if you are humble and willing to learn, the people in this sport are awesome. I have met great people from all over country shooting matches. If you would happen to have a bad experience with the people please don't give up on the first time out. The bad experiences are very isolated. Most people are truly good people and will help you tremendously with anything you need if you ask.
Thank you for some reassurance! sounds like a good thing to get into, I just get nervous around big groups of people cause I’m weird like that lol but this definitely sounds like a great community to join!

I have a Bergara Premier LRP and I have been pretty happy with it. Minor feeding issues (out of spec long extractor) that Bergara kindly took care of.
BUT I always end up grabbing one of my "custom" assembled rifles over it. I often use the Bergara as a loner/backup for teaching, training, or hunting. A great rifle for someone who wants turnkey.
For $1600 I would be looking at an ARC Nucleus or Bighorn Origin "build" (Prefit barrel, Bravo chassis, TT trigger). A few hundred more but I like the actions better and more easily available prefits. Accuracy will likely be slightly better but dependent on individual barrel and many other factors.
Most Bergara's shoot well and their barrel manufacturing process is good (Shilen was an advisor). My LRP will hold 0.75 MOA (10 Shot). Bergara was offering a rebarrel service that was great but it has been so long that I would need to look into it again.
Just my opinion, but both great options. YMMV
I have a Bergara Premier Ridgeback . It was a nice shooter,but have since installed a Bartlein heavy varmint and sold the Greyboe Ridge stock ,it was okay for a while. Now its in a Manners PRS-2 and much better shooter now. I also would recommend a fully custom rifle .

I have a Bergara Premier Ridgeback . It was a nice shooter,but have since installed a Bartlein heavy varmint and sold the Greyboe Ridge stock ,it was okay for a while. Now its in a Manners PRS-2 and much better shooter now. I also would recommend a fully custom rifle .

Thank you for the info... I have decided to do a build myself, I have an origin action, proof 26” comp contour barrel and trigger tech special so far. Ordered is a Bravo chassis and hellfire brake. I also picked up a viper barrel vice and have a bughole action wrench in the mail.
Probably go with a set of vortex pmr/Seekins rings and I have and extra vortex pst gen 2 that will go on it for now.
Definitely excited to get it together and get some rounds out and start load development.

Thank you for the info... I have decided to do a build myself, I have an origin action, proof 26” comp contour barrel and trigger tech special so far. Ordered is a Bravo chassis and hellfire brake. I also picked up a viper barrel vice and have a bughole action wrench in the mail.
Probably go with a set of vortex pmr/Seekins rings and I have and extra vortex pst gen 2 that will go on it for now.
Definitely excited to get it together and get some rounds out and start load development.
Mine is a 6.5 PRC,what caliber is yours ?

Mine is a 6.5 PRC,what caliber is yours ?

I decided to go with a 6.5 creed since I’m already setup to reload it... I have 2 6.5 prc’s, one for hunting and one for target fun I thought about another one with this build but I figured the only creed I have is a gas gun and I have a bunch of components to load the creed so why not lol.
My original plan was a 6gt but this will work for now, if I want to I can always switch later on down the road.

Reactions: Iron Worker
I have a LRP 6.5CM and think the gun is amazing. But I also have a Wilderness that only cost around $1k and it shoots lights out for much less. Less features but for that money it's unbeatable IMHO. I think the Bergara rifles are a great value, YMMV.
I have a HMR 300WM that I want to put on the exchange but have not gotten around to it. Its bedded and has rails added. One box of shells and shoots lights out. All Bergara I have shot have been good rifles.

PB

I was curious to what you bought? Or Built.I went thru the same dilemma. I bought a Bergara Premier Pro in 6.5PRC and built a custom one with a Stiller Action and Brux Barrel..After shooting my Bergara so much I decided True up the Bolt face and Action and put a Brux Barrel on it. Now I cantb tell the difference in the accuracy in either one.I have about half as much in the Bergara as I do my custom.

I’m looking at getting a new bolt rifle for a Christmas gift to myself and I’m already setup to reload 6.5 creed and ran across the bergara’s I’m looking hard at the Premier hmr pro with the heavy barrel, I was just wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts on this rifle and if it’s worth the money over the normal hmr?

thank you
I have 2 HMR PRO's, 6.5 cm and 6.5 PRC.... I'd put the PRC up against any rifle with the same shooter, my best is consistent hits a 800 yd on 6" gong.... I'd also take any game in North America.... "you can make a good rifle great with the right glass"!