• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Berger 105 Hybrid vs. Lapua 105 Scenar L

pbatesaz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ and Cimarron, CO
Comments from anyone who has live fire experience with both of these projectiles would be welcome. I have shot the Bergers and know they have a higher BC. Just curious about the Scenar Ls. Were your best load charges significantly different? Fussiness about seating depth? Thanks.

I've shot a couple hundred of the 105 Scenars and my 6 Dasher load for the Scenars and the 105 Hybrids was identical. Velocities were very close as well, like if one was 2950 fps, the other was 2945 (I just don't remember which velocity corresponded to which bullet and I don't have my reloading notebook in front of me). Both were 31.9 grains of Varget. Both were very accurate. I had no issues with them performing whether they were jammed or jumping. They weren't particularly sensitive, so I jumped them 20-thousandths and called it good. The only reason I didn't use them over the Bergers is that I could find the Hybrids for less and, as you mentioned, the Hybrids had a higher BC. I will say the Scenars have always been super consistent! I remember measuring a random handful when I first got them and for twenty or so bullets, I had a max weight difference of 0.02 grains and a base to ogive difference of five ten-thousandths (0.0005") or whatever the resolution on my Mitutoyo calipers is.

Reactions: pbatesaz
I cannot help you on this comparison, but I feel my input will carry down. I have shot my share of 6.5 scenars, 123's, 136's, and some 108's. Lapua has some of the best quality control in the industry over mass produced bullets, from uniformity and lot to lot consistency. I doubt Nammo will ever reel Berger in regarding that aspect.
My take on a hybrid to scenar comparison is how far are you going to regularly shoot them, not many bullets fly as well as hybrids. Yes we are seeing better bullets come out yearly, just not from Berger lately, or Lapua.
So if you are going to shoot 13-1500 yards and expect decent results, the hybrid would be my choice.