• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 109 hybrid

John Glidewell

Rag Hole Precision
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2018
Reno, NV
I saw they published the dimensions. I was super disappointed, one it is to short in the base to give to not have to jump it 1/4” in my wife’s sammi throat 6 creed. But also and maybe I’m wrong here, the bc seems a little low. I thought they’d be making this bullet to put the 107/110 smk in the dirt (I’m not a fan of Sierra). Either way I’m sure the 6gt’s and dashers of this world will find the bullet shoots spectacular. But for me I’m going to stick with 108 eld’s for her and 105h’s in my 6bra.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
If anyone is wanting to offload some 105’s to make room for the 109’s I’ll take the old outdated ones off your hands lol

Reactions: Nimothy
So, just to eat my own words...

The 109 is in a new line of bullets, the hybrid long range target. Apparently, the hook on this line of bullets is consistency.

Think Scenar-L from Lapua. Berger was already my choice for match bullets because of their consistency. Apparently, these are Doppler measured to have 1% or less BC variation.

I bought a box to try. I bumped my 105 load by a tenth of a grain to make up for the weight difference and keep them in the same speed zone I've had such good luck with the 105s.

20191218_121327.jpg

Chronographed.

20191218_170141.jpg

First three rounds at 1040yds. Loaded the CDM for the 109s and ran with the solution. It's dead nuts.

After we finished checking the curve we shot the target up and the others we brought with positional shots and other stuff.

Measured the impacts when I got home with Ballistic X and it spit out a 1.67" group, on the waterline, at 1040, cold.

I take back my hurtful memes!

1576714441454.png

People are starting to report real world BC (in their calculator anyway) of .295-.306

If that’s the case, that makes these a bit more interesting. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the 105 hybrids phased out. The 105 and 109 are a bit too much in the same product space.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
People are starting to report real world BC (in their calculator anyway) of .295-.306

If that’s the case, that makes these a bit more interesting. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the 105 hybrids phased out. The 105 and 109 are a bit too much in the same product space.

Yup and at half the price of the A-Tips that will defiantly be a game changer.

The 109 is in a new line of bullets, the hybrid long range target. Apparently, the hook on this line of bullets is consistency.

Think Scenar-L from Lapua. Berger was already my choice for match bullets because of their consistency. Apparently, these are Doppler measured to have 1% or less BC variation.

I bought a box to try. I bumped my 105 load by a tenth of a grain to make up for the weight difference and keep them in the same speed zone I've had such good luck with the 105s.

View attachment 7205248

Chronographed.

View attachment 7205249

First three rounds at 1040yds. Loaded the CDM for the 109s and ran with the solution. It's dead nuts.

After we finished checking the curve we shot the target up and the others we brought with positional shots and other stuff.

Measured the impacts when I got home with Ballistic X and it spit out a 1.67" group, on the waterline, at 1040, cold.

View attachment 7205251

Damn, these got a little more interesting for me.

View attachment 7205248

Chronographed.

View attachment 7205249

View attachment 7205251

That looks like a Dasher. What load are you using? Twist rate? I just ordered 100 to try.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the 105 hybrids phased out. The 105 and 109 are a bit too much in the same product space.
Depends on who's philosophy is running things today. 105 hybrid has probably been a top seller for the last 8 yrs. Lapua(Nammo) has always been about quality, IMO, Berger lately about money.

Reactions: 47guy
Yeah the price to performance ratio with the A-tips just isn't there...

I personally saw the 110 Atips test to around 2% BC variation on AB’s Doppler. Berger’s were averaging around .6-.8%. Maybe that was a bad lot of bullets, but I thought the point of them was they were guaranteed to be better.

View attachment 7205248

Chronographed.

View attachment 7205249

View attachment 7205251
That is interesting and thanks for sharing. I got bombarded with questions when this bullet was released, concern was why, it is so close to 105 and not much of a BC jump. I told most I will try them, had to be some motive to produce them, design change, consistency, etc..
I just don't know when I will get to them, have a barrel that should come due for replacement early spring, but I think I have 4K 105's sitting around.

Assuming factory spec G7 and an 8 twist barrel, the 109s have 6% better BC but cost at least 11% more than the 105 Hybrid (based on Midsouth and Powder Valley pricing).

I suppose if velocity matches the 105 and they're more consistent, and they're no harder to get to group than 105s, perhaps there's value there...

Assuming factory spec G7 and an 8 twist barrel, the 109s have 6% better BC but cost at least 11% more than the 105 Hybrid (based on Midsouth and Powder Valley pricing).

I suppose if velocity matches the 105 and they're more consistent, and they're no harder to get to group than 105s, perhaps there's value there...
Have the 109's been on sale anywhere yet? Or too new? I buy bulk and on sale, still have yet to pay over 30 or 150 for either box of 105's.

Have the 109's been on sale anywhere yet? Or too new? I buy bulk and on sale, still have yet to pay over 30 or 150 for either box of 105's.

Lol. I think there are only one or two lots even out right now and selling as fast as they can ship them.

Lol. I think there are only one or two lots even out right now and selling as fast as they can ship them.
Yeah, hopefully that trend does not continue, but seems to be the storyline the last 3-4 yrs.

I have been running sorted 110 SMK’s. I saw saw similar velocity and a wide node. They were easy to dial in. Ran 30 rounds at 1,100 and they were very consistent, 0.301 G7 is really close but I need to play with drag to fine tune

They are Awesome and there are two lots. They were on sale several places from black Friday to cyber Monday for less than non sale 105's, so I bought them all, sorry... but Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
I tried them at 100 yards today. Started with same load as my 105 and went up from there. Jumped them the same as 105. Accuracy wasn't great, ranging from .5-.8. POI was exactly the same as 105. My 105 load is 32.7 Varget and pushed 2960. With the 109 my velocity is 2935. Low SDs on both. Running these in my calculator, there is no difference in drift at 1000 yards. Not sure if worth the price difference over 105s.

Attachments

• C3CE37E1-CBCE-41C2-AF20-4212BE4B9E85.jpeg
    C3CE37E1-CBCE-41C2-AF20-4212BE4B9E85.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 187
I’m really liking these and will be switching to them after I run out of the 110 A-Tips in my 6GT
34.5-34.6 Varget has been the sweet spot across multiple bullets in this rifle. Here is 34.5 with the 109’s
Virgin Hornady brass
CCI 450 primers.

Attachments

• FAA6880F-7F92-4D24-A436-6912349ECA4F.jpeg
    FAA6880F-7F92-4D24-A436-6912349ECA4F.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 05F378DF-3DC9-460C-B21E-DDAAD3F38CA7.jpeg
    05F378DF-3DC9-460C-B21E-DDAAD3F38CA7.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 863F0A99-0B27-4DA6-9DE5-73AF981934A1.jpeg
    863F0A99-0B27-4DA6-9DE5-73AF981934A1.jpeg
    806.6 KB · Views: 197
I’m really liking these and will be switching to them after I run out of the 110 A-Tips in my 6GT
34.5-34.6 Varget has been the sweet spot across multiple bullets in this rifle. Here is 34.5 with the 109’s
Virgin Hornady brass
CCI 450 primers.

Theoretically speaking, what would make the Atips worth the extra cost over 109’s?

Just running my calculator gives only marginally better performance from the Atips.

Theoretically speaking, what would make the Atips worth the extra cost over 109’s?

Just running my calculator gives only marginally better performance from the Atips.

you just answered your own question. When I committed to the GT back in the fall the 109’s were not out yet and literally just came out after I bought about 500 A-Tips which is what I originally had planned on running. With this load against my load with A-tips, the A-tips are about a tenth Mil Better at 1k so with the 109’s at half the price of the A-Tips it seems to be a no brainer to me to run the 109’s The A-tips are nice but at .75 a round, they’re not that nice. Hahaha

Brownells has them for $191/500. Sold out, but backorder ok.

And 10% off code until midnight (it’s on the top of their homepage).

That’s about $0.35/ea.

Get’em

Reactions: lennyo3034
That’s a good deal. I paid $215/500 when they first hit the market.

I have been using the $25 off $200 code. Comes out to $188/500. I have that free 2 day shipping membership with them which has been worth it.

The downside is, I can only do 500 per order, as it’s a static $25 off and not a %. So, even if I place 4 orders within seconds of one another, there is a chance they pull from different lots. But not a big deal for $188/500.

I have been using the $25 off $200 code. Comes out to $188/500. I have that free 2 day shipping membership with them which has been worth it.

The downside is, I can only do 500 per order, as it’s a static $25 off and not a %. So, even if I place 4 orders within seconds of one another, there is a chance they pull from different lots. But not a big deal for $188/500.
1778 is the only lot I’ve seen so far. It’s early enough in the production cycle that maybe you will get lucky. If not then be sure and let us know lot to lot consistency. I’ve had pretty good luck with bergers being consistent lot to lot personally though.

At that price though and with the edge account it’s a no brainer to do it that way.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
1778 is the only lot I’ve seen so far. It’s early enough in the production cycle that maybe you will get lucky. If not then be sure and let us know lot to lot consistency. I’ve had pretty good luck with bergers being consistent lot to lot personally though.

I have a couple lots. Weight was really consistent. I think there was about a .003-.004 difference in BTO from the two lots.

But I only shoot PRS. So that ain’t gonna matter much.

Only posting this because I have a couple thousand left. Sooooo here is y’all a deal.

View attachment 7205248

Chronographed.

View attachment 7205249

View attachment 7205251
Just curious what your load data was for these? Looking at running the 109s in my 6XC.

Hello All,

New to the 6mm Creedmoor. Trying to find load data for Reloader 16 with the Berger 109gr Target Hybrid but no luck so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Norb