• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 140 6.5 Bullets

bower4311

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Rochester, NY
So I picked up a box of Bergers at my local gun shop and realized that the 5 boxes of berger were different. I looked once and thought they were target VLDs but the ones I got were target BT long range. I think he has some hunter VLDs and target VLDs. I'm very new to reloading and I'm thinking about returning the ones I got because the VLDs seem more popular meaning I can find more data. I'm reloading for a 260 with IMR 4831. Any advice? I think the VLDs are a little cheaper and I'm a broke college kid and could use the best deal possible. I will be hunting with it for a year so I should probably get a box of hunters anyway.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
They've been there for months. Call me lucky. I'm way up north of New York state not a lot of people around but a good gun smith. He had 900 pounds of powder and is down to a few odd ball powders now. Hasn't had a single pound come in, in 3 months. Also had 280k rounds of 223. That's gone now. But I was able to buy a case of PMC bronze for $400 even into February when you could only buy it for 1000 online.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

For my 260 I started out shooting the 140 Hunting VLDs but when I ran out the only bullets in stock were the 142 SMKs. They actually perform great with the same load as the H-VLDs.

I have since shot all the SMKs also and was forced to buy Target VLDs, while they are almost exactly the same I did notice the length and bearing surface were slightly different. It may be that from batch to batch there is some varience but it was minimal. My OAL length to the lands changed by 0.003" (could be throat wear) and my overall cartridge length was slightly shorter which really helped when feeding from the mag.

Hunting VLD - OAL: 2.910" Ogive: 2.239"
Target VLD - OAL: 2.888" Ogive: 2.242"

Both the Hunting and Target VLDs liked being jammed in my rifle. If you havent read the "Handloading for Long Range" by TresMon in the reloading section I would highly recommend that you read them. He recommends jamming the bullets in the lands when you start load development, and with VLDs I would certainly start jammed.

My advice on powder would be try your best to find some H4350. If you can't, the 4831 will work fine (slightly less velocity in most cases). Off the top of my head I think many shooters find an accuracy node between 46-47 grains of H4831 (havent used IMR 4831). Please dont start with that load, as always work up following proper loading methods.

Cheers

My advice on powder would be try your best to find some H4350. If you can't, the 4831 will work fine (slightly less velocity in most cases). Off the top of my head I think many shooters find an accuracy node between 46-47 grains of H4831 (havent used IMR 4831). Please dont start with that load, as always work up following proper loading methods.

Cheers

I was able to trade in for the regular Target VLDs.

I will be able to load about 80 more from the powder I have, I can't find the 4350 and I'm going to pay hazmat. I'm young and new to shooting, I'd rather wait until I can get a hold of powder from a dealer. That load seems pretty hot, meaning there would be a good difference between the Hodgdon and IMR. Don't have my manual in front of me. I was loading around 39-40 gr. of IMR 4831 with 140 a-max's and Nosler brass I changed one measurement for OAL to get closer to the lands, but I still think I can get closer I need to measure better, but I got a sub MOA at 100 with 5 shots on a stock Savage 11 with a sporter barrel. I didn't shoot anymore of that load but I would say it's pretty good for my first 5 shot group with that OAL.

I'm not too worried about velocity yet, sub MOA at 100 is enough for me at this point. I have NEVER shot long distance before, I'm 20 years old and have a lot to learn. This 4831 will do me just fine for now. I just need to find some data for IMR-4831 and 140 Berger VLD's and work up. My manual doesn't have anything for Bergers. Where should I look? I'm trying to find some stuff on this forum. I really don't need a high velocity. I'm more working on technique and just being able to shoot better.

Email berger and they will send you an excel spread sheet with the requested load data...

Actually had it saved on this computer... This is the berger load data for the 140 VLD in 260 remington.

140 Grain
IMR 4831
start:37.0 vel:2391
max:41.4 vel:2665 capacity 97.6%