• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 140 grain Hybrid Twist rate

Drewdemon

Online Member
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I wanted to try new bullets for my RPR (1:8). There is a lot of great write-ups about the Berger 130 and 140 grain hybrids. I went on their site and read the 140 grain requires a 1:8 twist rate. Perfect, i ordered them instead of the 130g because they require a higher twist rate. My order came in today and on the box of 140g bullets it says "1:9 minimum". The box has the same part number (26414) as Berger's site?

Should i try them out anyway, email Berger, or return the box? (Berger)

Thanks

Are you worried they won't work in your barrel? If so, don't be. Your barrel has a more aggressive twist than the minimum twist required. Your rifling completes one revolution in 8" of bore. A 9 twist is a less aggressive rate. You can always shoot bullets that have a slower required twist than you have (higher number), but its not a good idea to go too far the other way or you might experience stability issues. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Drewdemon
They’ll do fine in that rifle.
I shoot them from a ruger Hawkeye & bergara with a Wilson barrel. Both 8 twist and with 42.8gr h4350, cci 450 primers, seared at 2.2290, they shoot .25” groups out of both rifles.
3/4” groups at 300 easy

Reactions: Drewdemon
Are you worried they won't work in your barrel? If so, don't be. Your barrel has a more aggressive twist than the minimum twist required. Your rifling completes one revolution in 8" of bore. A 9 twist is a less aggressive rate. You can always shoot bullets that have a slower required twist than you have (higher number), but its not a good idea to go too far the other way or you might experience stability issues. Hope that helps.
Apparently I have to do some reading:)

Thanks