• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 153.5gr seating depth?

Raufoss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
Missouri
Hello guys,

I’m looking to gather information on Berger 153.5gr LRH seating depth sweet spot.

I’m about starting developing a load for the PRC and I planned starting at 0.070" jump but I’m wondering what do you guys found out?

0.020" / 0.070" / 0.085" jump ? Or more ?

Hello guys,

I’m looking to gather information on Berger 153.5gr LRH seating depth sweet spot.

I’m about starting developing a load for the PRC and I planned starting at 0.070" jump but I’m wondering what do you guys found out?

0.020" / 0.070" / 0.085" jump ? Or more ?
It all depends on your particular chamber and barrel dimensions. What works well in mine most likely will not work as well in yours. Starting at .070 jump is as good as any place to start from, especially if the cartridges fit nicely into your mag. From that point on, forget about your jump distance and focus on seating depths once you've established a powder load that works well at that starting point; again, focus on seating depth, not jump.

I tend to like to load long for extra space in my cases for powder and often I'll be hand feeding rather from a mag, shooting off a bench. I've used two powders for my 153.5's; RL-23 and Retumbo. I've got both powder to shoot the 153.5's very well. For the RL-23, I use 53.5 gr with a COAL of 3.056, which was originally .010 off the lands with the CBTO at 2.343. Though the throat has eroded to where I'm now .029 off the land, I maintain the same cartridge loading specs and am still getting great results with MV's at 2945 fps. For the Retumbo, I use 56.9 grs with a COAL of 3.056" with the same CBTO of 2.343 as with the RL-23 and same distance from the lands (.029", currently) and MV's are about the same. These loads all worked well in temperatures between 64°- 73°F and low humidity (25% and less). I used Federal 210 primers and tried some CCI250's, but the 210's worked best for me.

Thanks but I must disagree about the chamber and barrel thing.

I mostly shoot 0.224 and 6mm bullets and ALL the seating depth I’ve ever found out performing in one configuration worked perfectly in any other calibers within logic and in relation with the freebore not being extremely different.

I just want data nothing else. But thanks anyway

Thanks but I must disagree about the chamber and barrel thing.

I mostly shoot 0.224 and 6mm bullets and ALL the seating depth I’ve ever found out performing in one configuration worked perfectly in any other calibers within logic in relation with the freebore.

I just want data nothing else. But thanks anyway
Hmmm??? So, you're saying a .244 16" standard barrel contour will work the same as one with a 22" bull barrel for a particular cartridge configuration?

Hmmm??? So, you're saying a .244 16" barrel will work the same as one with a 22" bull barrel for a particular configuration?
0.244?

Your example is a bit extreme but yes for reference my 6 Creed load, 6 Dasher, 243 win and 6BR match rifle load share the exact same seating depth for my 105’s and 95’s( barrel length form 22 inch to 30 inch of different contour).

Reactions: straightshooter1
0.244?

Your example is a bit extreme but yes for reference my 6 Creed load, 6 Dasher, 243 win and 6BR match rifle load share the exact same seating depth for my 105’s and 95’s( barrel length form 22 inch to 30 inch of different contour).
Missed that typo; I meant .224.

Fascinating, having the same CBTO (or distance from base of the bullet to base of the case) being the same with case lengths so different.

we’ll I’m certainly not the first to talk about that and test it out... SAC have done it and they posted results about some of their findings.

Anyhow I’m I don’t want derail from the original question .

If someone have data about the 153.5gr seating depth, I’d love to see it.

I’ll run the test anyhow but wished to save some time .

we’ll I’m certainly not the first to talk about that and test it out... SAC have done it and they posted results about some of their findings.

Anyhow I’m I don’t want derail from the original question .

If someone have data about the 153.5gr seating depth, I’d love to see it.

I’ll run the test anyhow but wished to save some time .
Well, you've got my seating depth there that works well out of my 26" Preferred barrel. Is that too long for you?

It’s not. I just rarely seat that close to the rifling but I’ve taken a note .

I’ll run the test completely form scratch next week since there’s not much data around.
I'd like to try seating it deeper, but at this seating depth I have the bearing surface is right above the neck-shoulder junction and I don't like to have bearing surfaces in contact with that part of the case. Another 400-500 more firings and my throat should have eroded enough to where I'll have a nice long jump. ;)

Let us know how your test works out for you. 😎