• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 168g VLD question

pacomdiver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2008
SE PA
how much powder are you guys pushing the berger 168vld's with? im using 43g imr 4064 in winchester brass and cci primers seems a sweet spot (5 shot nickel size groups on 3 different range trips)but would like to know how high you guys are going? i have found another accuracy node in the 44 range but have yet to nail it down more than 1 range trip

im shooting it out of a Rem 700 sps 308 26" varmint. im currently using them as a single load round

Re: Berger 168g VLD question

needs to learn to read better
blush.gif

found another node at 44.6 and it puts 3 under a dime but im not getting that much speed, 2575 average

gonna try them over varget and see what speeds i get

the speeds arent varying a whole lot from one day to the next(25 fps on the original load from 60 to 84 degress), the speeds on the 44.6g are from a range session yesterday, 84 degrees about 60% humidity

my barrel is a little slower than others so thats why im gonna try varget today to get the speeds up

from the lack of responses, I guess theres not alot of guys shooting the 168 vld's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
from the lack of responses, I guess theres not alot of guys shooting the 168 vld's? </div></div>

Will this be a target load or a hunting load?

Also, what ranges do you think you will typically be running this load? If you will never get out past 800 yards, the advice will be significantly different than if you want to run these at 1000 or beyond.

If target, most folks either run lighter (155 or 155.5) or heavier (175, 185, etc.) skipping the 168 grain projectiles altogether. Especially the competition guys will load their 175's (or 185's) close to the same velocities as the 168's and thereby get superior ballistics. On the light side of the coin, (where most competitive shooters are, at least right now), the 155.5's tend to get jacked up to *really* fast velocities that will actually out perform the heavies at most normal velocities.

Strongly recommend at least trying the Varget. It may work for you , or it may not, but it is pretty much the "darling" powder of choice for the majority of .308 competitors. If you decide you want to concentrate on the lighter bullets (155-ish), think about the new 8208. I have not personally tried it, but I have talked to folks running it in their competition rifles. The general consensus is that it is considerably faster than Varget, and will give better velocities (for the light bullets) with less powder... just an idea.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

target out to 600 at least for now, maybe when the shoots get longer out to 800 when they extend the range

i already use varget for the 168 smk's, the 175'smks shoot thru mine but havent found a consistant load and would like to stay more in the safe zone for my 1-12 twist. im using the 168's vld's because i have a partial box and found a load with 4064 just fucking around and it shot a dime 3 shot group (only loaded 3), so the next 2 times i went to the range i loaded 3 more and every time, it shot a dime to nickel sized group, so i bought 3 more boxes to get ready for the next long range shoot, hence where i am at now with the load development. i dont think im pushing the vlds fast enough my ballsitic program shows it will drop subsonic at 800, if i get it to 2650 it will get to 900

i havent been able to find the 8208 powder yet at the big gunshows yet