• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 175 VLD load

blackraven1079

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2011
United Kingdom
Evening all

Advice please, feeding these to my AI AE .308 24 inch barrel 5 thou from the lands. The group was awful, any one think i should load them to well off the lands first? If so, can anyone share there loads, i.e seating depth, powder. I have the ability to run quick load to confirm. I don't own the Berger book yet and there website seems to be down!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Carl

Hello Carl; you can try this; 308win., Lapua brass, ww primes, 42.5 gr. target, oal 2.295 which is off the lands, 175gr. Berger VLD's. Works well with both of my Remy's 700's 22" and 18" barrels firing with Thunderbeast suppressor. Have gotten 2.5" groups out to 600 yds with this load firing prone supported with bipod. Excellent target load. Can use the same OAL etc with 45.0 or 45.2 gr Varget as a hunting load for antelope.

Best of Luck
Don

Seem like VLD design work better with touch the land or little Jammed.

Not sure what fb that your AI?

Evening all

Advice please, feeding these to my AI AE .308 24 inch barrel 5 thou from the lands. The group was awful, any one think i should load them to well off the lands first? If so, can anyone share there loads, i.e seating depth, powder. I have the ability to run quick load to confirm. I don't own the Berger book yet and there website seems to be down!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Carl

Try this. 10/1000" in the lands. 6 shots. 40/1000" off the lands 6 shots. Back off to 80/1000 6shots. Then finally 120/1000" off lands 6 shots. Berger pretty much guarantees that one of these will shoot drastically better, then you can tweak it from there. I shoot bergers in all my rifles and only one (Ga Precision 6.5 creedmor ) will only shoot bergers jumping. It will absolutely not shoot them unless I'm jumping them 130/1000" or so. Every other rifle loves them snugged up or jammed in the lands. They have an article about it about it on their website.
I either run power pro 2000 mr. 47 to 48 grains or Varget 44 to 44.5 grains with the 175's. Power Pro will give you around 90 to 100 fps more in speed but its a ball powder and a little temp sensitive. (Still love it though). Varget... Well is Varget. It'll do what ever you need it to do. If you can get your hands on the 175 Otms give those a try. They are designed to shoot from mag fed rifles and have a slightly better BC. But to each his own. Good luck. I feel like with a rifle as nice as yours it WILL shoot them. Just gotta tweak em!!

I shoot a Savage M12 F/TR using 175 VLDs. With this load the gun will shoot .220 MOA groups at 300 yds. That's just a CH over 1/2" grouping. Measured with OnTarget. MV is 2693 fps out of a 30" tube using a MagnetoSpeed Chrono.

Lapua brass
CCI BR2 primers
42.3 gr Varget
Berger 175 gr Target VLDs jammed .005" into the lands

Ditto on Aimsmall 55 and Boogie. I have shot Berger VLD's in my 6.5x55 jumping the outrageous distance of 0.250" (yes!) in a factory Winchester Model 70, and got a 0.29" group for 5 shots at 100 yds. I doubt Berger ever tested jumping them that far, but I had to do that because of the distance to the lands on a factory-reamed throat in 6.5x55 (they are cut very long due to the availability of 160 grain mil-spec ammo that seats a roundnose bullet about 1" from the case. Slight exaggeration, but not much). I might try every 10 thou in the range from 30-60 thou off the lands, if none of Aimsmall55/Berger's distances get good enough results. Something well under 0.5" for 5 shots. On my Savage 12 in .308, I jumped 57 thou and got a 0.37" 5-shot group at 100 yds., and called it good. I don't remember why I picked that jump. I think I was aiming at 60 thou and seated the first bullet too deep, and decided to see what happened, so I just left the Forster micrometer seater where it was.

Ditto on Aimsmall 55 and Boogie. I have shot Berger VLD's in my 6.5x55 jumping the outrageous distance of 0.250" (yes!) in a factory Winchester Model 70, and got a 0.29" group for 5 shots at 100 yds. I doubt Berger ever tested jumping them that far, but I had to do that because of the distance to the lands on a factory-reamed throat in 6.5x55 (they are cut very long due to the availability of 160 grain mil-spec ammo that seats a roundnose bullet about 1" from the case. Slight exaggeration, but not much). I might try every 10 thou in the range from 30-60 thou off the lands, if none of Aimsmall55/Berger's distances get good enough results. Something well under 0.5" for 5 shots. On my Savage 12 in .308, I jumped 57 thou and got a 0.37" 5-shot group at 100 yds., and called it good. I don't remember why I picked that jump. I think I was aiming at 60 thou and seated the first bullet too deep, and decided to see what happened, so I just left the Forster micrometer seater where it was.

Haha... Yeah .37" 5 shot group would be ok with me... :) Don't you just love when you load em , shoot em , and get sub moa groups w/o doing one bit of load development. Makes shooting and loading a little more enjoyable when you know your making good shooting stuff!!